Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a complete XKE IRS setup. I was wondering if this would be any stronger over the stock set up. It has coil overs, and in board brakes. I haven't looked yet to see how it would fit or if it could be adapted, anything can be adapted.

·
Registered
5,916 Posts
I have a complete XKE IRS setup. I was wondering if this would be any stronger over the stock set up. It has coil overs, and in board brakes. I haven't looked yet to see how it would fit or if it could be adapted, anything can be adapted.
I spent two years of weekends restoring a '68 XKE. Rear brakes are a PITA on those cars. You have to drop the rear to change pads on those.:crazy: I doubt it will fit under there, and the gain will be zero.;)

·
Registered
114 Posts
I don't think you'd get any benefit strength wise, remember the E-type was only a straight six in the early days, and the V12, when it came along, was still "only" 5.3 litres/325ci. That back end was never expected to handle the sort of torque that an SB/BBC could chuck at it.

I'd be quite surprised if it turned out to be beefy enough to handle anything but a luke warm 350. I'm sure they can be strengthened, but then so can the Stock IRS.

Suspension wise, correct me if I'm wrong but I think you have a similar setup on the E-type as with the vette, that is, the halfshaft forms one of the lateral members, so I guess this would give you the same camber change "issues" that are so often talked about here with the stock IRS.

Having said that, it would be an interesting break from the norm, and after all it's your choice!

·
Registered
114 Posts
Hey, just got to thinking...

Which came first? The Vette IRS or the Jag IRS? Did you copy us or did we copy you!? :laughing:

I have to say, I think the transverse leaf spring thing was about on the old triumphs, so maybe we might have won it by a nose... But I really don't know.

Anyone?

:thumbsup:

·
Registered
738 Posts
if it bust a U joint ain't it gonna stop anyways?:laughing:

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Hey, just got to thinking...

Which came first? The Vette IRS or the Jag IRS? Did you copy us or did we copy you!? :laughing:
:thumbsup:
My Guess would be we copied them................also.........that Zora dude was
no American anyhow.......which was probably a good thing cause he brought
a different thinking to the table..........remember the story behind the "Duntov Cam". ;)

·
Registered
114 Posts
My Guess would be we copied them................also.........that Zora dude was
no American anyhow.......which was probably a good thing cause he brought
a different thinking to the table..........remember the story behind the "Duntov Cam". ;)
Well, had a look a look into it and I'm quessing you are right - given that the E-type was born a couple of years before the C2 then yeah it's likely that IRS started life here in Blighty. I remember reading the patent for Duntov's design but can't remember what year that was filed. If the E came first I'm wondering what "novel" aspect of Duntov's design permitted him to patent it?

First or not, I'd never want to have to change a set of discs on one! But being a Jag it would have reduced itself to a pile of iron oxide before the discs were worn out. :laughing:

·
Registered
5,916 Posts
Well, had a look a look into it and I'm quessing you are right - given that the E-type was born a couple of years before the C2 then yeah it's likely that IRS started life here in Blighty. I remember reading the patent for Duntov's design but can't remember what year that was filed. If the E came first I'm wondering what "novel" aspect of Duntov's design permitted him to patent it?

First or not, I'd never want to have to change a set of discs on one! But being a Jag it would have reduced itself to a pile of iron oxide before the discs were worn out. :laughing:
Been there, done that. PITA.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for all the replys. I didn't think it would be strong enough. I guess it will be going to the street rod swap meet this fall.

The Dutchmans 9" IRS is pretty sweet.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts