Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just took the '79 out today and less than one mile from my house the temp was at 270-280F.... :crazy: :WTF

I guess even IF the thermostat is stuck you cannot get 280F after only one mile..... pulled over, popped the hood and.... well, the engine was warm, the radiator hose was warm so the thermostat opened (it's a 160F).... but nothing was hot....

ok.... I recently replaced the cluster circuit board, guess I should not have thrown the old one in the garbage .... :lookinup:

I think I'm going to get a Autometer gauge tomorrow and install the sending unit in the other head.... does anyone have a better idea ?? I do not like additional aftermarket gauges in the dash but I like to have a dependable gauge for water temp... maybe add a oil temp gauge while I'm at it ???

·
Registered
5,916 Posts
Sounds like it was not really hot. The only time I have had false readings like that is when the system has an air bubble.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sounds like it was not really hot. The only time I have had false readings like that is when the system has an air bubble.

I'm sure the temp was fine just like it was last week.... it's just that the F^%$ing gauge stops working like four weeks after I "fix" the printed circuit board..... what a coincidence....

btw... I let the car cool down and started it again one hour later and it's still at 270F.....

I checked again three hours later and it's still at 270F....

Oh well...

·
Banned
125 Posts
I'm sure the temp was fine just like it was last week.... it's just that the F^%$ing gauge stops working like four weeks after I "fix" the printed circuit board..... what a coincidence....

btw... I let the car cool down and started it again one hour later and it's still at 270F.....

I checked again three hours later and it's still at 270F....

Oh well...
It could be the sender in the head.Ground the wire going to the sender and see if it pegs the needle past hot.With the wire not connected to the sender it should peg toward cold.Key on.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It could be the sender in the head.Ground the wire going to the sender and see if it pegs the needle past hot.With the wire not connected to the sender it should peg toward cold.Key on.
I took the wire off the temp sender when it was hot, did not change anything.... the needle is like glued down at 270...... looks like I go aftermarket once again.... that GM stuff just keeps letting me down.... :laughing:

·
Registered
5,916 Posts
I took the wire off the temp sender when it was hot, did not change anything.... the needle is like glued down at 270...... looks like I go aftermarket once again.... that GM stuff just keeps letting me down.... :laughing:
Soundsike the gauge allright.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Soundsike the gauge allright.

I guess I'll find out tomorrow..... anyways.... I had planned to drive more than only 2 miles today.... the first mile was nice: no tops, sidepipes roaring.... then I looked at the gauge, pulled over, popped the hood, shook my head in disbelieve and limped home..... :crazy: :lookinup: :laughing:

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
your gauge is what we call "Tango Uniform" or in street terms, "tits up".

At 270*, it'd stink like a paper mill, and be smokin'.

:cheers:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts