Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
DC Crew
53,226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of the guys from the actual Grand Sport design team stated that the GS was going to have the 3.73 gear. But, was released with the 3.45 instead (last minute?). Supposedly the 3.73 is what the motor was designed around.

I am considering doing this... but will I really have an improvement in 1/4 mile MPH?

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
I've read that the 4:10 is a great gear with the 6-spd. I don't think there would be a huge difference between the 3:45 and 3:73.

·
Super Moderator
8,548 Posts
IT WILL DEPEND A GREAT DEAL ON YOUR ENGINES TORQUE PEAK RPM AND HP PEAK RPM, IF YOUR RUNNING A STOCK ENGINE AND CONVERTER THE 3.54 GEARS FINE, BUT MODIFY THAT ENGINE TO MAKE POWER AT A HIGHER AVERAGE RPM RANGE AND THINGS QUICKLY FAVOR THE 3.73-4.11 REAR GEARING

if you CAREFULLY read this older post and USE the links provided youll get the idea

http://www.digitalcorvettes.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=6305

DON,T GUESS ...KNOW THE CORRECT ANSWER BEFORE DOING THE MODS

·
Registered
93 Posts
Your Vette WILL be quicker thru the gears IF you have SLICKS. I did this gear change on the Trans Am and until I used WIDER and SOFTER rear tires my E.T. was SLOWER because I could NOT get traction. Engine speed vs road speed, you will not see as good top end on the open road (big deal) and YOU will be shifting SOONER in each gear. 4:11 gears are too much for the street with stock tires.LOL

·
Registered
10,035 Posts
re gears

i have 2.52 if i change to impress my lady what is the simplest change re leaving all elts alone thanx cosmo

·
Registered
104 Posts
Running 4.10's in my car and they are fine on the street with stock rubber. I usually start in 2nd if driving around town.

My engine combo makes peak HP at 6200rpm, and I'm at 6000rpm at the end of the track so they are a good match for me. I think if your going to spray it, then the 3.73 are a better choice.

Jimmy

·
Registered
93 Posts
Jimmy69
I know you can drive on the street Fine with 4:10 gears(start off in 2nd) but what happens in 1st gear when you give it full throttle?? I bet you just spin the Stock rear tires ALL the way thru 1st gear(just like my TA). So as I said with STOCK tires and 3:45 gears you WILL be quicker as you will spin LESS.Been there,done that.:thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
11,627 Posts
Re: re gears

cosmo said:
i have 2.52 if i change to impress my lady what is the simplest change re leaving all elts alone thanx cosmo

If you go from 2.59's to 3.53's you should see a big difference in acceleration, top end speed and mileage may be altered tho.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Definitely.

Most of the stick guys at the track with C4's use 3.73-4.10s combined with DR's. It'll help keep the engine in it's powerband more effectively and will also provide the important REDUCTION to the 60' time(pending tires and the track allow it).

You think the car lights them up now with whichever gears are in there? Wait'll 3.73's or 4.10's go in, WAHHHOOoO!!!:D :thumbsup:

·
DC Crew
53,226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Jay 383 said:
Definitely.

Most of the stick guys at the track with C4's use 3.73-4.10s combined with DR's. It'll help keep the engine in it's powerband more effectively and will also provide the important REDUCTION to the 60' time(pending tires and the track allow it).

You think the car lights them up now with whichever gears are in there? Wait'll 3.73's or 4.10's go in, WAHHHOOoO!!!:D :thumbsup:
I have the 3.54 performance axle. But, from what I hear the LT4 was MADE to go with the 3.73 gear.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Ok....

I should have known better, LOL 44's come with 3.45's stock. A 3.73 or 4.10 would definitely add to your already high fun factor!

I'll see if I can dig up a few 'e-mailable" size vids of Rich S rippin' down the track in his GS.

·
DC Crew
53,226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Jay 383 said:
Ok....

I should have known better, LOL 44's come with 3.45's stock. A 3.73 or 4.10 would definitely add to your already high fun factor!

I'll see if I can dig up a few 'e-mailable" size vids of Rich S rippin' down the track in his GS.
Typo!:(

·
Registered
336 Posts
I had 3.73's in my GS but I also had ported heads and a different cam, when I first did the heads and cam my low end torque suffered slightly, the 3.73's helped that out a bit. Like Grumpy said....unless you are gonna set up the car to make more HP in a higher RPM and have more useable RPM the gears wont make much ET difference (may be able to 60' a bit better since the car wont bog as much) but I highly doubt any MPH increase. Gears will make driving the car more fun just cause you will be shifting more and torque will be multiplied especially in the lower gears (more tire frying :D)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts