Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you need a posi for auto-x and road course?

Couldn't I put a open differential and not worry about the end play? Would it almost have no end play?

Edit: did some research it is good to have.

The open differential on a road course is not a good thing, and its an even worse thing in lowspeed cornering situations. Often when rounding a right-hand corner in a RWD car, the inner wheel will spin and the outer wheel will just roll - this causes a lack of traction exiting a corner and will slow you down considerably. However, making a left-hand turn this slip won't occur and everything will work perfectly. Most open differentials are wheel-biased, and this is determined by which way driveshaft spins. On most vehicles this is the right rear, but occasionally its the left. I guess this is why Nascar never turns right :)

Both the Positraction clutch-type and Torsen type differentials solve this problem by diverting as much power as possible to the outside wheel regardless of the turning situation. The more torque-bias a differential has, the better it will be able to do this. Many road racers in firebirds and camaros adore the Torsen T2R for its high bias, eliminating any chance of inner wheel spin during a corner - however this differential is not cheap, usually $500-850.

·
Registered
550 Posts
The Torsen guys are just up the road from me in Rochester!!

Get your checkbook out, I dont know if they have a C3 center section but they do supply Franklin :hump: ....

I think Imsa Widebody has a Franklin rear setup in his car

Dont know if he has inboard brakes :thumbsup:

·
Registered
550 Posts
i beleive they run limited slips, spools keep both wheels locked and would only benefit on a darg car.
:agree:

Spool=drag racing or mud bogger :laughing:

Torque Biasing=Road Race :thumbsup: Torsen or LS

Inner wheel travels less distance in a turn... spool would force the inside tire to spin and loose lateral traction in a corner..... inducing oversteer?

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah I would think that but I wonder how severe it is?

The spool would also cause tires to wear out faster. Correct?

It really affects tight turns. Pushing my uncles drag car isn't very fun.

Mud bogger mostly likely has a welded dif. a spool is too expensive. :laughing:

Nascar runs a detroit locker. Wonder if that would work in a vette rear?

·
Registered
550 Posts
Yeah I would think that but I wonder how severe it is?

The spool would also cause tires to wear out faster. Correct?

It really affects tight turns. Pushing my uncles drag car isn't very fun.

Mud bogger mostly likely has a welded dif. a spool is too expensive. :laughing:

Nascar runs a detroit locker. Wonder if that would work in a vette rear?
My experience with things that lock up is that cornering is intersting at any speed, does your 4x4 have LS or Locker in the front? How does it turn when the front wheels are spinning?

Also have you had pre-calc? do you know what vectors are? Ignoring a LOT of things and this is out of my area but a tire has only so much traction available. You can use to drive/brake or corner but the sum cannot exceed the total otherwise you spin or slide. the Tire also has to be in contact with the road surface to generate traction. Google the greek letter "mu" or "coefficient of friction"

http://www.school-for-champions.com/science/friction_equation.htm

tire speed .ne. road speed = accelerated tire wear and Heat which can be an Issue for traction

IMHO detroit lockers are a bit crude and lack the finesse of a LS or Torsen

Quit tearing your car apart, Make it safe and drive it. You'll have plenty of oppertunites to wrench on it later.

:smack

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My experience with things that lock up is that cornering is intersting at any speed, does your 4x4 have LS or Locker in the front? How does it turn when the front wheels are spinning? No open difs on both ends. Gotta be cheap.

Also have you had pre-calc? do you know what vectors are? Ignoring a LOT of things and this is out of my area but a tire has only so much traction available. You can use to drive/brake or corner but the sum cannot exceed the total otherwise you spin or slide. the Tire also has to be in contact with the road surface to generate traction. Google the greek letter "mu" or "coefficient of friction"

http://www.school-for-champions.com/science/friction_equation.htm

tire speed .ne. road speed = accelerated tire wear and Heat which can be an Issue for traction

IMHO detroit lockers are a bit crude and lack the finesse of a LS or Torsen

Quit tearing your car apart, Make it safe and drive it. You'll have plenty of oppertunites to wrench on it later.

:smack
No pre-calc yet. I'm taking that my senoir year. I'm taking college algebra this year.

Yeah I need to just put it back together and drive it. The guy that will do the dif comes back from vacation next week.

The autocross is September 1st. Watching the vids though it seems kind of slow. Should still be fun and the driving experience is good.

·
Registered
636 Posts
He's more of an engineer than a driver. Its more fun for them to take **** apart and play with it. There's a bunch of them guys around.
For some reason, I just got this uncomfortable feeling reading this.:laughing:

·
Registered
416 Posts
you need a LSD unit with around 40 to 60% lockup.. A locked rear is a bitch to drive,,,, tight, loose, tight, loose,, works good on dirt... lol

1 - 11 of 11 Posts