Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
DC Crew
3,482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a basically stock GM crate engine with the quadrajet carb on it. I have a chance to buy a TPI set up out of a 92 camaro. My question is, is there much difference between the camaro and corvette TPI set ups. Also will this give me more lowend torque like the L98? and finally, is it worth the time? I am just looking to get a lil more performance out of my daily driver. I t might go to the track for shits and giggles but i am not trying to build a race car anymore. i just want it to be reliable enough to drive Everyday.

·
DC Crew
53,226 Posts
sidepipes79 said:
I have a basically stock GM crate engine with the quadrajet carb on it. I have a chance to buy a TPI set up out of a 92 camaro. My question is, is there much difference between the camaro and corvette TPI set ups. Also will this give me more lowend torque like the L98? and finally, is it worth the time? I am just looking to get a lil more performance out of my daily driver. I t might go to the track for shits and giggles but i am not trying to build a race car anymore. i just want it to be reliable enough to drive Everyday.
There is a really nice article in the last Hot Rod magazine. Basically, if the carb is dialed in, you'll get almost the exact mileage and power as FI. They proved it on a dyno. But, that FI was better for changing altitudes or outside air temp changes.

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
I'll probably get slammed for this but.....
I think the TPI system is one of the best ever built!!!
It's reliable, fairly easy to fix when it does fail, easy to modify, easy to install and if your into drag racing it's consistant as hell. painless wireing sells a complete harness if you need it and just about everyone sells the sensors.... sure that code 33 is a sob sometimes to figure out but no system is perfect!!!! I've had SEVERAL TPI cars (Firebirds) and the weakest link seems to be the fuel pump.... but only when you install an adjustable regulator and crank up the fuel pressure....
MAF or Speed I think GM built the best fuel injection system for a small block with the TPI in it's day!!!!!!
OK guys let me have it

·
DC Crew
3,482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well this is a speed density unit and i am hoping i ont have many problems.

·
Registered
745 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Has anybody tried one of the aftermarket 350 fuel injection setups? Basicaly wraps it all up into a custom intake manifold. I found one in Jegg's. Any input on these?

·
DC Crew
4,751 Posts
The 305 and 350 TPI intakes are the excact same, with the exception of the size of injectors. Many people argue that the TPI was never really engineered for the 350.

The TPI makes a great deal ot torque and power quick in the lower RPM band. It makes it easy to get great performance with more highway gears for better fuel economy and out of the hole performance.

The down side is the upper RPM breathing characteristics. It starts to die around 4,700 RPM, and by 5,200 on a stock TPI motor...they have maxed out.

You can take the same engine and bolt a miniram and it will scream to 6,000 still pulling....but, will often have a noticeable drop in the very early rpm power band.

As far as aftermaket units go, I did a Edelbrock PRO FLO on my 69 bb. It is a fully functional 8 injector multi port system built off of a standard air gap 4bbl manifold. They work VERY well, and are easy to dial in.

However, if you can get a complete TPI for $100, harness for $300, computer for $150, and chip for $150-$350, you are down to little things like installing a high output fuel pump, air cleaner, pressure regulator, and possibly new injectors for an additional expenditure of $500-$650. You can contrast that to installing a straight up Edelbrock system for about $2,100 on a small block, and $3,000 for a big block.

·
Registered
4,929 Posts
Re: Re: Is a TPI worth it?

Patrick said:
There is a really nice article in the last Hot Rod magazine. Basically, if the carb is dialed in, you'll get almost the exact mileage and power as FI. They proved it on a dyno. But, that FI was better for changing altitudes or outside air temp changes.
This has always been my understanding as well.....good info Pat!

·
Registered
32 Posts
1988 tpi on 1977 c3

im wanting to do the same thing...not so much as the performance but the starting, and runs the sme no matter what thep it is outside...i have a 88 c4 tpi ,dist,and ecm...what else will i need besides the wireing and fuel pump..i tried to find info but sometimes the topic/forums strays (hp ,strokers, and some wild but nice setups etc).......mine is stock..i just want the turn key operation like in newer cars....like an uprade i guess...thanks

·
DC Crew
32,974 Posts
If you have the complete set up, ie. fuel rails, injectors etc. then you will need a wiring harness, upgrade your fuel system (this means a return line to the tank a new fuel pump for FI) Is your set up speed density? IF not did you get the Mass Air Flow sensor with the set up?

·
Registered
32 Posts
yes i have the sensors as well thanks for the quick reply...i will loose my 1974 cowl induction but.. o well i think i will like the "turn key" win some loose some ..... speed density????:

·
DC Crew
12,249 Posts
Patrick said:

I am going to side with Patrick on this one. This argument has been around since the 80's when FI was being perfected. My opinion, and that is all it is, is that if you setup a good intake carb setup, you will get as much performance from it. It will also be as or more reliable. If FI goes bad the engine dies (most of the time) if a carb goes bad, it idles rough or gets bad mileage or whatever but it gets you home ...

Food for thought :thumbsup:

·
Registered
3,963 Posts
Tpi is an excellent choice for your daily driver, Much better on cold start up than a carb. Smoother excelleration and with the long tube runners it just looks better than a carbed small block.

·
Registered
536 Posts
I'm getting ready to do a TPI swap from carb on my 82 (PO put a carb on it). I'll take plenty of pics and do a complete write up on it including all the small parts and where I bought them.

I ended up getting my Speed Density harness, computer, and chip from www.TPIParts.net

Just give me a month or so and I'll have it done :thumbsup:

·
Registered
905 Posts
I can't seem to get the knack of how to post pictures in these threads but if you look in my photos, you'll see some shots of my custom TPI from First Fuel Injection.:cheers: Art

·
Registered
3,963 Posts

that looks really nice

·
Registered
83 Posts
I feel you can have a good ,reliable daily driver with a carb and intake on your car. There are many choices available and with a little research you can pick the one to suit your needs. I have found fuel injection on occasion to be just as bothersome as any carb setup I have owned in the past. It really is about what you want. I think the TPI looks really good in an older car as well as being a good performing system for the street. What ever you decide you can get tech support from our forum!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts