Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took my Vette out for the first time on the highway since I purchased it. I got it checked out by a mechanic to see if everything was normal. Well he said the car was fine, so I was good to go.

It was about 100 degrees last night and I took it around for about a half hour. The temperature was in the 210 to 230 range. When I came home I lifted the hood to check the coolant level. To simply put it, it was BOILING. The noise sounded EXACTLY like that bubbling noise you hear in a chemistry lab of a mad scientist or mischievous high school students.:surprised You could hear it from about 10 feet away from the rear of the car. The coolant container was HOT to the touch.

I am using Prestone green (one in yellow container) and diluted it with a 70% anitfreeze 30% water mixture. I did this for extra protection up to 276 degrees and to prevent boilovers.

Is this normal? This is my first sports car, so I am not to familiar with high-performance engines and whatnot.

Also, 85 Vettes have power steering, right?:huh: This car is atrociously hard to steer at low speeds. To make a U-TURN I literally have to use my whole body (and I am no weakling either!). When I first bought it, the steering was not as tight. But since I brought it to a mechanic it has really tightened up. Is this also normal?

Thanks in advance!:)

·
Registered
25 Posts
sounds like your fan didn't kick on , suppose to go on at about 200, and your steering needs the rack and pinion assy replaced, you can get an overhauled unit from ecklers or mid america for about $200 with an exchange... hope this helps you out
Jim:thumbsup:

·
DC Crew
53,209 Posts
jr7221 said:
sounds like your fan didn't kick on , suppose to go on at about 200, and your steering needs the rack and pinion assy replaced, you can get an overhauled unit from ecklers or mid america for about $200 with an exchange... hope this helps you out
Jim:thumbsup:
This is from a previous thread...

"Water, with the proper anticorrosion additives, would make an adequate cooling medium for automotive engines. But it freezes, and boils over. Ethylene glycol, an alcohol, is added to extend the boil ing and freezing points of the coolant.

Why not run pure glycol, and get better freezing/boil-over protection? As you can see from the chart, pure ethylene glycol will freeze at essentially the same temperature as water. At concentrations higher then 70 percent or so, freeze protection is not very good.

Ethylene glycol doesn't carry as much heat from the engine to the radiator as an equivalent amount of water, which can result in overheating. Stick with concentrations of 50 percent to 60 percent water/antifreeze."

Hope this helps....

·
Official Forklift Driver
7,068 Posts
Did you pack the radiator when you topped off the coolant? If not then you probably got air in the cooling system. When stock, the fan on my 87 went on at 228 degrees and the cooling system still worked good when it was hitting 240+, never had boil-over in the vette. Also if the ps fluid is full and acting like that, then it's time for a ps rebuild. :(

·
Premium Member
11,627 Posts
Make sure the radiator is completely full. Start the car with the radiator cap off, let it come up to temperature, so the thermostat is open, then feed it water very slowly until it won't take anymore, put the cap on and your good to go. Btw, 210 - 230 is not abnormal. Check your fans also. Good luck. :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts