Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know if a vett can be towed on all fours behind a RV?? I do a lot of Rving and would like to take the vett alone.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Uhhhh:lookinup: just go get one of those flatbed trailers. I'm sure it can be done but would you really want to do it?

·
Only green will do...
18,388 Posts
i agree get a flatbed why would you want to take a chance of something going wrong fast stop fast turn etc. etc.

·
Premium Member
17,444 Posts
Towed cars catch every thing your duals throw out. I would go with a trailer and some thing to protect the vette.

·
Certified Stalker
4,077 Posts
I support the covered trailer idea. Your overall trailer weight should end up somewhere around 6k pounds, which should be well within the range of any RV.

·
DC Crew
32,974 Posts
People pull cars behind RV's all the time. Is it the best thing to do to a nice car? Probably not. Will you tear anything up by doing it? Probably not. The trailer is the BEST idea but you can pull it behind your RV.

·
Registered
607 Posts
I'm sure it could be done, provided you find the proper tow bar/hitch. Also if the vette is an automatic trans you'll probably have to disconnect/remove the driveline, if it is a manual you may also have to do the same......need to check your owners manual or someone more knowledgeable than me.

My advice would be to get a trailer with at least a guard on the front to stop rocks, dirt & grime from beating the front of the car up.

MM

·
Registered
939 Posts
If I remember correctly (and if its still there) the Classifieds section has a few trailers for sale. Might be worth a look

·
Registered
167 Posts
People pull cars behind RV's all the time. Is it the best thing to do to a nice car? Probably not. Will you tear anything up by doing it? Probably not. The trailer is the BEST idea but you can pull it behind your RV.
I can't ever think of seeing a nice car towed in the open on all four wheels behind an RV. Almost every one I can picture is a 1990s Saturn SL sedan.

I'd at least go with a flatbed trailer that has a nose cone. It will keep the dirt, dust, stones, and bugs from the front of your 'Vette. You might also want to put a cover on it or something so something doesn't fly up and hit the windshield, for example.

Happy motoring!

·
Registered
822 Posts
Because of the design of the car its pretty much impossible to tow it on all 4 without really cutting up the front end to connect the hitch. At the very lest you would have to use one of the short trailers that you drive the front wheels onto so you could tow it, But at that point the cost difference between buying a two wheel trailer vs. a flatbed big enough to put the car on is so small that there is no reason not to spend that little extra for the flatbed and keep the car covered when you are trailering it.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
16,300 Posts
I'd go with a covered trailer. Keep that baby out of the view of potential theives and protected from weather. :thumbsup:
:agree:
There will be covered trailer car trailer available soon here in Dallas. PM me if your are interested.

·
Premium Member
11,627 Posts
I can't ever think of seeing a nice car towed in the open on all four wheels behind an RV. Almost every one I can picture is a 1990s Saturn SL sedan.

Happy motoring!

You should be in Florida, we see people pulling everything from full sized cars to Hummers. I guess if you can afford a $150,000 for a motor home and $70,000 for a Hummer, you don't worry about a few rock chips.:laughing:

If you can afford an enclosed trailer or at least one with protection on the front, that would be the way to go.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
tow

Tanks for the info fellows....I had not concidered how low a hitch would need to be. Maybe I will take the CV4. I know it can tow ( this would be behind a large 5th wheel, so rock chips is not a particular issue.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I do not believe it is safe to tow a C5 vett on its rear wheels.
If you have an automatic you will be spinning the rear shaft of the tranny without the pump pumping oil to lubricate everything.

In the old days we would remove the drive shaft to keep this from happening.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts