Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Pulled the front hubs off as part of a suspension rebuild, was just planning to repack if the bearings looked okay. Bearings and races looked great, so I cleaned up the hubs in the parts washer. Now I find both races will spin in the driver's side hub. Is it because I soaked them? Is there anything that can be done, or am I on the hook for a new hub?

Thanks,

Chris

·
Premium Member
10,260 Posts
easy way to check would be to buy new quality bearings (are Timken made in the USA any more? :huh:) and see if the new race fits. Even if you have to buy a new hub you'd probably be buying the new bearings anyway, so it wouldn't be an additional expense.

Do you know much history on the car? Have the bearings been replaced before or could these be the originals?

·
Premium Member
17,444 Posts
Pulled the front hubs off as part of a suspension rebuild, was just planning to repack if the bearings looked okay. Bearings and races looked great, so I cleaned up the hubs in the parts washer. Now I find both races will spin in the driver's side hub. Is it because I soaked them? Is there anything that can be done, or am I on the hook for a new hub?

Thanks,

Chris
Are you talking about them spinning in the hub or the spindle?

You would have had to press them out of the hub. They slide on the spindle?

·
Registered
332 Posts
new hub time as the bearing race is a lot harder than the cast hub, so if the race is worn the hub will also be worn if not more. If dollars are a problem (as they are for me) clean,dry and fit with loctite bearing mount(good stuff and made for this job):D:buhbye:

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Are you talking about them spinning in the hub or the spindle?

You would have had to press them out of the hub. They slide on the spindle?
The races are in place, as installed--I can spin them in the hub with finger pressure.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
easy way to check would be to buy new quality bearings (are Timken made in the USA any more? :huh:) and see if the new race fits. Even if you have to buy a new hub you'd probably be buying the new bearings anyway, so it wouldn't be an additional expense.

Do you know much history on the car? Have the bearings been replaced before or could these be the originals?
The bearings are NDH, so they could very well be the originals. The car has 82k miles (on the speedo anyway).

I will drive the races out of the hub and see what it looks like...

Thanks to everyone for the responses:thumbsup:

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
The races spinning in the hub is not good. really time for a new hub. If dollars are tight as shipy noted, you can take a sharp prick punch and peen the ID of the hub, then use the locktite bearing mount and drive them back in. It's a Bubba fix, but it will get you back on the road for a while. I've had to do that a couple of times - once on a loaded bull hauler and once on a tanker loaded with road oil. Got them both home.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts