Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im a little unsure as to how bad starter fluid is for my car, if at all. I have an 84 Crossfire and the car never starts on cold starts unless i keep cranking the engine for about 3 minutes. Now i just put starter fluid into the place where the fuel injectors spurt out fuel and it starts right up. Every time after the first start, the car starts up perfect every time- until i let it sit over night, then the whole process starts all over. I only use the fluid to save the life of my starter and battery. Please post any insight on this subject- and maybe even the cause of the problem

Note: i changed plugs, distributor cap, rotor, wires, and fuel filter. She has Full Synthetic oil too.

·
Premium Member
5,157 Posts
Reasonable use of starting fluid won't harm the car.

However, it sounds like you might want to start troubleshooting your problem by checking fuel pump pressure, or fuel pressure regulation. It sure sounds like the system is losing fuel pressure, and the long starts are the result.

Steven

·
Premium Member
5,157 Posts
Step 1: Buy the Factory Service Manual

http://www.digitalcorvettes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61402

Step 2: If you lack tools, then start planning what you need. You'll need a few specialized tools, but a lot of things can be done by thinking through what has to happen - and why.

Step 3: Search here for CFI troubleshooting, and search the web for GM Throttle Body Injection troubleshooting. There is a lot of similarity between the CFI system and the TBI system. The basic principles apply with respect to design and operation.

Steven

·
Registered
244 Posts
I agree with all above, just a quick squirt and startup is completely safe to do with starting fluid. The worry is if you use lots of it and the engine still doesn't start, it promotes "washdown". But again, this is an extreme case such as where half a can is used at once.

I too tend to believe it's a weak pump or regulator. I had a bad pump in my pickup one time, that slowly got worse until the pump finally died. When I replaced it started like new again. (I waited till it fully died b/c in that truck it's difficult to do)

I can identify with being 17 and not entirely knowing what's going on, I've been there with my truck. I was actually ok with anything that broke, because it's how I learned. And with each new tool required, I built up my collection.

~wd-40:buhbye:

·
Super Moderator
8,548 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Thank you so much dude/ everyone for their help.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts