Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After degreasing and sand blasting I found a spot on one end at the U joint cap area that looks a little thin,
I'm not sure if this was how it was from it's casting or if it's from binding up from a previous u joint failure, the
u joints have been replace before. There is no cracks just a little thin on the outside of the u joint cap on the inner side.

Is this worth rebuilding for a car with a mild to stock engine? I am looking to rebuild them and sell them
to recoup some of the money that I will be spending on some new 3.5 Denny's aluminum half shafts. Or would
I be better of to sell the good half shaft and the spicer joints and flanges as parts to recoup some of my
money.

Riggs.

·
Supporting Vendor
3,776 Posts
Used 1/2 shafts can be found for between $20-$45 each. New pairs are about $300.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Gary, so this is not a normal thing to see with the half shafts, and it's not worth rebuilding for a car with a stock HP drive train. It's a shame that I would have to through it in the trash.

Thanks,
Riggs.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Not normal, that's rust action from the outside. Sometime early in that shaft's life it probably had the end scratched or gouged and it let a little bit of rust take hold. It may have gotten beat up from a bad joint and the rust has eliminated the evidence of gouging, but there's just no way to say.

Here's the thing to remember with shaft corrosion.......the whole driveshaft has seen the same conditions, and it's reasonably common for a pinhole in a weld to allow corrosion to begin INSIDE the tube.

Basically, the risk with that amount of shaft rust is not just the end cap, but that somewhere the tube is paper thin and you can't tell. Basically when you see that depth of corrosion, unless you're going to open the tube (like shortening a driveshaft), don't use it for any performance or truck application.

good luck

1 - 4 of 4 Posts