Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does this indicate a column lock problem?

My car ('02 Z06) had been sitting for a couple of days, and had exhibited no previous issues. I turned the ignition key and instead of ignition and unlocking of the steering wheel, I got what sounded almost exactly like an electric can opener, whirring sound that persisted for a couple of seconds after I released the key. It was coming from the steering column area and the wheel did not unlock. I tested headlights - they popped right up and dash lights were on.

I rapped my knuckles on th base of the steering wheel and sat for a minute, then tried again - engine fired up and column unlocked. DIC indicated 13.8 - 14.2 volts. Car ran great. I drove it to have my new tires mounted (Docs Grrrage in Lexington, SC - they're great, - though they're a Porsche shop). No repeat of the condition I described since.

I read Junk's CLB thread which was great but I didn't quite see anything about the weird, can opener sound I described. Love to know what some of the experienced guys/gals out there think. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
30,448 Posts
Step one in figuring out what is wrong with your car: PULL THE CODES. Post the codes here and look them up in the sticky that describes what each code is.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts