Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 82k mile LT1 just doesn't seem to have what it should. It is killer off the line...fish-tail the rearend all over the place but punching it at 45 or 50 it feels like the hatch is full of cement blocks. It just doesn't feel like a sports car. It runs smooth, no misses, etc...just not as much power as I thought it would have or should have. Any thoughts? Are all LT1's like this? I figured 300+ hp would be a little stronger.

·
Super Moderator
8,550 Posts
it should run about a high 13 second to low 14 second 1/4 mile time in average stock street trim condition, making it faster than most street cars but certainly not as impressive as many guys think a corvette should be. most corvette engines need a good tune up and if you don,t do mods like a low restriction exhaust and headers , and a 3.73 rear gear ratio its never going to produce the acceleration up to its true potential.
the 3.73:1 rear gears and a manual trans or upgrading to a 2800-3000 stall converter and a larger cam, can make it a totally new ball game, theres endless mods that can be done,
Id suspect you need to do a tune-up and Id suggest checking the exhaust back pressure, and a compression check, valve adjustment, and oil and filter change won,t hurt either

http://forum.grumpysperformance.com/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=2697

http://forum.grumpysperformance.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=609&p=5672&hilit=noid#p5672

http://forum.grumpysperformance.com/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=596

http://forum.grumpysperformance.com/viewtopic.php?f=55&t=3108&p=8292&hilit=noid#p8292

http://forum.grumpysperformance.com/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=661

·
DC Crew
20,694 Posts
It is killer off the line...fish-tail the rearend all over the place but punching it at 45 or 50 it feels like the hatch is full of cement blocks.
Grumpy is right, tune ups go a long ways (ignition/fuel filter).

For what it's worth your description above reminded me of my initial thoughts after I swapped in a new catalytic converter and muffler eliminators on my stock motor. I had only known my car the way it was, ripped off the line but limp at highway pulls. Even with a complete tune up, it was never a "beast" in stock form at speed but after the new cat and muffler eliminators, it really woke up acceleration at speed.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Grumpy is right, tune ups go a long ways (ignition/fuel filter).

For what it's worth your description above reminded me of my initial thoughts after I swapped in a new catalytic converter and muffler eliminators on my stock motor. I had only known my car the way it was, ripped off the line but limp at highway pulls. Even with a complete tune up, it was never a "beast" in stock form at speed but after the new cat and muffler eliminators, it really woke up acceleration at speed.
I think the cat removal will be my first mod...hope it wakes up the sound too! I've heard that the stock mufflers are pretty free flowing. Anything to that?

·
Banned
14,241 Posts
#1 is the cat. Hiflow make a world of difference. Punched are even better.
#2 are the mufflers. Corsas are the best, IMHO.
#3 are the headers. Get them. Long Tube from TPIS.

The 45-70 punch is almost instant.

Tuneup is also good. Accel 9000 wires do me well.

·
I have poor impulse control.
3,813 Posts
My 82k mile LT1 just doesn't seem to have what it should. It is killer off the line...fish-tail the rearend all over the place but punching it at 45 or 50 it feels like the hatch is full of cement blocks. It just doesn't feel like a sports car. It runs smooth, no misses, etc...just not as much power as I thought it would have or should have. Any thoughts? Are all LT1's like this? I figured 300+ hp would be a little stronger.
No, not all LT1's. A few folks in C5's have said my car is pretty quick and have asked if i've had any work done to it. (maybe they mean it's "quick" for a C4. :laughing:) C6's kick my ass, but i can hold my own against the C5's (usually). The exhaust must have woken my car up. I'd like to dyno it one of these days. Regardless, my C4 always seems slow to me.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I dunno....Maybe mine was really well-taken care of before I bought it, but I think my '95 is is quite fast, both off the line, and I was especially impressed on it's throttle responsiveness at interstate speeds...I push the gas, it takes off! I still plan on getting rid of/replacing the cats, and that ought to make an even bigger difference:thumbsup:

·
Registered
Black 08, A&A TI supercharger. Kooks headers. CCW wheels. Much more
12,668 Posts
Is your car an auto? Probably with the 2:59 gear ratio?

a LT1 6 speed ( 3:45) gears can almost keep up with a 97 - 2000 c5 auto (3:15) gears. But not nearly as well against a 01 up c5 6 speed. 01 ups have bigger tbody, LS6 style intake, a slightly larger cam, better tune, upgraded material for the torque tube, and the 6 speeds also have 3:45 gears.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Is your car an auto? Probably with the 2:59 gear ratio?

a LT1 6 speed ( 3:45) gears can almost keep up with a 97 - 2000 c5 auto (3:15) gears. But not nearly as well against a 01 up c5 6 speed. 01 ups have bigger tbody, LS6 style intake, a slightly larger cam, better tune, upgraded material for the torque tube, and the 6 speeds also have 3:45 gears.
Yep, I have the auto...are all auto's 2:59?

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So should I have the resonator with the single inlet and dual outlets in the middle of the car cut as well as the front two cats that come down right off the engine?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts