Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
16,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
(Oct. 28) -- Let's get this out of the way at the very start: Merriam-Webster defines the word "gravitas" as follows:

noun --- high seriousness (as in a person's bearing or in the treatment of a subject)

On Thursday, after Republican strategist Karl Rove told a British newspaper that retired Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin lacked the "gravitas" to ever become president, thousands of people across the country flocked to computers to try to find out just how big of an insult Rove had made.

Palin herself made news by announcing that she would run for president in 2012 "if there's nobody else to do it."

Palin's statement may indeed come as a surprise to the likes of Mike Huckabee, Mitt Romney and Newt Gingrich, all of whom seem poised to compete for a job that requires -- there's that word again.

Divide and Fail must be the GOP's Mantra

:cheers:

·
Registered
25,253 Posts
So what would we call that little conflict between Hillary and Barack in '08? Was that a love fest or what? I think the process of picking a party candidate is always a little ugly. No news here.

·
Registered
16,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So what would we call that little conflict between Hillary and Barack in '08? Was that a love fest or what? I think the process of picking a party candidate is always a little ugly. No news here.
Who gives a **** about Hillary and Obama? I would like to see a conservative President and do not want to see another fragmented GOP in this election.

By the way I call,
So what would we call that little conflict between Hillary and Barack in '08? Was that a love fest or what?
Whinny and immature. It is like a kid saying, "But he did it to".

Reality sucks but gossip is for old ladies on the fence.

·
Registered
19,914 Posts
Now... I'm not the sharpest 5 pack in the oven... but, are you not doing the very same thing with that comment... splitting those of us with a "stated" like ideology ?

·
Registered
16,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
In my eyes here is the issue.
I am talking about Party Politcs.
I think conflict on the issues is fair politics.
I think personal attacks and questioning character within your party is not smart politics.​
I think it weakens the party.

OK - Sorry Tex, Preach is right this time. Same applys here.

·
Premium Member
5,157 Posts
(Oct. 28) -- Let's get this out of the way at the very start: Merriam-Webster defines the word "gravitas" as follows:

noun --- high seriousness (as in a person's bearing or in the treatment of a subject)

On Thursday, after Republican strategist Karl Rove told a British newspaper that retired Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin lacked the "gravitas" to ever become president, thousands of people across the country flocked to computers to try to find out just how big of an insult Rove had made.

Palin herself made news by announcing that she would run for president in 2012 "if there's nobody else to do it."

Palin's statement may indeed come as a surprise to the likes of Mike Huckabee, Mitt Romney and Newt Gingrich, all of whom seem poised to compete for a job that requires -- there's that word again.

Divide and Fail must be the GOP's Mantra

I don't really know why you characterize it that way. Rove is a skilled political operative, and he's making a statement based on his experience and judgement. It doesn't have to be considered an insult.

I never thought that Dukakis, Biden, Perot, Chuck Hagel, Duncan Hunter, or many others had the gravitas to truly make a run for President. Hilary Clinton, though I strongly and stridently disagree with her policy prescriptions, earned a reputation as a serious Senator, and so worked her way into it - just as many others before her.

Palin's problem is that she will always be attacked, much like Dan Qualye. At some point, the damage is permanent. Dan Quayle never had a chance to develop, and his political career was over when he left office. Palin has done some things that strategically (assuming that her goal is to be President) have added to her reputation as not serious, not intellectual, and not capable of being Commander in Chief. I say that while agreeing with many of her ideas and beliefs.

If someone is short, fat, and out of shape tells you that they intend to play professional basketball, is it an insult or just hard truth to say that their dreams are stillborn?

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/39879231/ns/politics-more_politics/

If you read the entire article, it doesn't really sound like he's throwing her under the bus. Of course, I tend to take people's statements at face value - it's too much work to search the tea leaves for hidden meanings and messages.

I think the summary is: If she wants to run, she better do some things that will make people take her seriously. She also needs to understand that the Presidential race is tougher than anything she can imagine.

Steven

·
Registered
12,410 Posts
Who gives a **** about Hillary and Obama? I would like to see a conservative President and do not want to see another fragmented GOP in this election.
Perhaps then, if you posses the gravitas, you could be more proactive in the upcoming elections.

·
Registered
19,914 Posts
This is why Rove will always get the benefit of doubt from me. He terrifies the left... including Clinton, himself.

At the rally, Clinton said that Republicans, including Rove, would blanket Arkansas over the next few weeks with attacks ads against Elliott. Rove, former deputy chief of staff and senior advisor to President George W. Bush, is reportedly a founder of American Crossroads and Crossroads GPS, two groups that are pouring millions of dollars into midterm races on behalf of Republican candidates.
"Karl Rove is a genius," Clinton said, telling the crowd what he believes Republicans want voters to do during the midterm elections: "Stop thinking."
Clinton mentions Rove by name... he is that dangerous... and one of my biggest political hero's.

·
Banned
31,366 Posts
Rove explained what he said and what he meant on Hannity today.. he was talking to the media in Europe... and it had nothing to do with the GOP eating their own..

·
Registered
296 Posts
As soon as Palin opens her mouth it is like nails on a chalkboard.

Give me PETREAUS! with Rove and CHENEY doing the behind the scenes guidance piece.

:partyon:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts