Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well everyone, I started putting plans in motion today for rebuilding my car. I recieved the Salvage Title last week on my birthday from Corvette Recycling this past Tuesday so im all set to move forward. Phase 1 which I have set for taking the first 6 months of the rebuild to be all things broken and replacing suspension & brakes with upgraded parts, along with having the frame checked out and pulled/squared/replaced where/if needed. I will be taking pictures, videos, etc of the entire rebuild process to try and set up help threads to take advantage of that new thing digital corvettes started. The following list is right now how I plan to go about rebuilding the car. My friend Sam Barros (I believe his forum name here is PWRLABS) is going to be flying out everyonce in a while to help me with the rebuild process, hopefully the middle of next month he'll be out and we can start, until then ill have the frame checked out and be ordering parts from Corvette Recycling.

Phase 1

~Jan-June (Broken parts, suspension, etc)

Replacement Parts:

A/C condensor
Upper cooling radiator support
Air conditioning ambient temp sensor
Cooling fan assembly
Right Front Suspension hub assembly bought
Right Front suspension steering knuckle bought
Right upper front suspension control arm assembly bought
Right lower front suspension control arm assembly bought
Front suspension crossmember
Steering gear
Right outer steering tie rod
Right inner steering tie rod
Upper cowl dash plenium panel
Right rear bumper reinforcement bar
Right rear bumper bracket

Upgrade Parts:
Pfadt Coilover Suspension
Pfadt Swaybars front/rear
Grand Sport/Z06 Big Brake Kit bought Wilwood Big Break Kit
RSD Roll Cage
Blacked out LED Tail Lights

Phase 2

~July-December (Body Panels, etc)

Replacement Parts:

Passenger Door Shell bought
Passenger door rear view mirror bought
Left door moveable glass bought
Rear bumper cover bought

Upgrade Parts:

Grand Sport Body
ZR1 Side Rocker Extensions
ZR1 Rear Spoiler
ZR1 Front Splitter
APR Performance Rear Diffuser
Z06/GS Sized Black ZR1 wheels

Car Repaint:

Black Gloss with Jake "Ghost"

Phase 3

~Jan '11 - However long it takes for me to purchase the rest... :smack

Upgrade:
Forged 418ci LS3
A&A Vortech YSi Kit
Upgrade Fuel System
Methanol Injection
Replace stock A6 with a new built TR6060 6-Speed
Replace stock diff with built Z06 Rear Diff

Goal when finished is 800-900RWHP

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
Sounds like you've got a thorough plan laid out before you. Keep us all posted and hope it all goes well.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sounds like a great project! Take lots of pics. :thumbsup:
I'll take lots of pictures when the car dollies and jack stands i ordered come this weekend, I'll be able to move it out of the corner of my brothers garage to get at the drivers side/damaged side. I'm gonna start ripping the bad body panels off this weekend then Tuesday I'm hoping to have the frame checked out. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Alrighty, on Tuesday I started ripping off bad panels and getting everything situated. My tools, jack stands, jack, dollies, etc all showed up last weekend so I finally had some stuff to start with. Got it on the dollies because right now its sitting tucked away in my brothers garage so now i sneak in there when hes gone and his space is open and push it out so i can get to it. Heres some general pics. The drivers side panels are good and i took them off to sell since i am going to the GS kit. I couldnt take the back panels off because i forgot the key fob at home and theres no battery so i didnt have the little key to pop the trunk.

Hoping this is fixable, the hatch part anyway, not too much was touched so hopefully they can just smooth it out and paint

they welded the tie rod together so we could steer the car for now

Passenger rear

Passenger door needs replacing

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Damn! That bitch took a few good smacks!!!! :surprised
Yeah, the initial hit was the front passenger in the spin when i hit the center guard rail sideways and then it whipped around and the passenger rear made contact. not to bad at all though considering. The more i look at it the less bad it looks. Really shouldnt be too difficult to get it back into drivable condition, itll be just more so waiting and saving cash to buy the upgrade stuff like the motor, s/c, GS body, etc. Im gonna go get a decent camera though so i can stop using my Iphone. And hell, i know its a nice safe car now, i walked away unharmed, airbags are in tact, although i think its only cause i didnt have a passenger so it shuts off the right side bags.

·
Banned
7,823 Posts
You wrecked it? If it was yours, why the salvage title- did the insurance company total it and you bought it back?

what direction are you going with the build, what are your goals when finished?

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You wrecked it? If it was yours, why the salvage title- did the insurance company total it and you bought it back?

what direction are you going with the build, what are your goals when finished?
Yeah, the car was originally mine - totalled, then bought back. The layout of what my plan with the car is in the first posting at the very top. My goal is for 1000hp in the motor when finished. :partyon:

·
Banned
7,823 Posts
I know you are shooting for 1k, but are you going to make it a 1/4 mile car or just a mega hp street car

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I know you are shooting for 1k, but are you going to make it a 1/4 mile car or just a mega hp street car
Ah, well god knows I love drag racing but short of driving all the way back to Byron, IL where I know I could get away with running as fast as a car with 1000hp would without extreme amounts of safety equipment and an NHRA liscense I probly won't run the 1/4 too much. The strip here in Vegas from what I have heard is pretty strict. I'd maybe just go for a day, do light passes then do one balls out and get kicked out.. Hahah. For the most part though it will be a street dominator.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ripped more of it apart today. Got a good shipment from Corvette Recycling a couple weekends ago which set me up for a little while to start replacing, 80% of the parts i need to fix whats wrong mechanically. Once they piece together the rest of the parts I need and I save up for the Pfadt stuff ill be moving to the body. Some pics below

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well i kind of impulse bought this weekend. But got an amazing deal on these Wilwood 6 piston front/4piston rear brakes. Really excited. Does anyone do any powdercoating for cheap? Theyre blue and that isnt going to fit the colors im going with and the paint is starting to chip anyways. Let me know if anyone knows a good guy i could go to.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts