Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally! I watched and filmed it all, taping it up, prepping the booth, everything. Romeo (the painter, Picaso of Cars) started by mixing some burnt orange metallic, silver metallic, and a splash of white PPG, proper reducer, catalyst and viola, a Salmon pink corvette!! I have it on film. Pink.

He had some painters reason for this base. then came the 1985 53 wa7725 Gold metallic, he shot it once, twice, three times. let it sit until dry to touch rubbed it out with some linen. Then with at least a half gallon of more material left he comes to me and says I don't want to waste this paint, it is yours, do you want me to use it up on your car? More is better he says. I say you are the boss.

Three more trips around the car with gold. Again, he lets it dry to the touch, rubs it out with linen. He says I have a surprise for you, he pulls out a gallon of Dupont clear coat from his cabinet. He gives me a paint stores card and says call them and see what this stuff goes for. Store says $400.00 with appropriate cans of peripheral stuff that goes with the gallon. Just the clear.

Off to the booth. He proceeds to apply one good coat of this dupont clear with microscopic gold dust (sparklies) Not too little sparklies, not too much. I was worried as I said before about cheesy looks. It turned out just like I had envisioned it in my head, perfect. Then he finishes the deal with two more heavy coats of clear. Yep, thats three.

That was Tuesday night. Today, I went back to see it in the day light, out in the sun. Wow! and I thought gold was boring. Almost did not buy the car because of it, contemplated changing the color after I bought the car. Wrong. Very nice. Picaso says let it sit for two more days. Friday-wet sanding. then one application of 3m compound with a buffer machine, then a second application of a finer compound, and lastly application of Carnuba.

He says pick it up Saturday or Monday. then its off to the vinyl man for a GS stripe (black). Sorry for the windy post, but man am I stoked! I'll try to figure out the process of getting the pics off my camera and on the computer, if you want to see it. :excited:

·
Extra Crispy
5,119 Posts
Please, I want to see.:excited:

·
DC PIT CREW BOSS
39,773 Posts
Please, please, we all want to see

·
DC Crew
1,470 Posts
Sweeet!

Neeeeeed PICS! and vid!

·
DC Crew
53,226 Posts
What a great story! I bet it looks sweet as can be.

I've heard many times though that you aren't supposed to do anything for 60 days after painting, because all of the reducers and other chemicals have not fully evaporated out of the paint.

I'm sure you heard you aren't supposed to wax for 60 days after new paint is applied... is it a good idea to put 18" wide vinyl over the paint? If the vinyl guy needs to lift up a piece to realign it, he might take some paint with him if he isn't careful.

I dunno. I'd be careful and just wait a while. That paint doesn't dry all the way through overnight.

Anyone think I'm wrong?

·
Registered
8,067 Posts
Patrick96LT4 said:
What a great story! I bet it looks sweet as can be.

I've heard many times though that you aren't supposed to do anything for 60 days after painting, because all of the reducers and other chemicals have not fully evaporated out of the paint.

I'm sure you heard you aren't supposed to wax for 60 days after new paint is applied... is it a good idea to put 18" wide vinyl over the paint? If the vinyl guy needs to lift up a piece to realign it, he might take some paint with him if he isn't careful.

I dunno. I'd be careful and just wait a while. That paint doesn't dry all the way through overnight.

Anyone think I'm wrong?
:agree: from the guy that does my body work, when he repainted the nose of my daughters Mitsu...wait at least 1 month for paint to cure!

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
I think it depends on the paint itself, i've had cars that still smelled Wet for weeks. and I've seen a guy paint a car, clean his paint gun and start wet sanding! so I'd say listen to your painter, He's the expert, he knows the product he's useing. If he tells you It's ok to put a vinyl stripe on your car and it messes up the paint, he's the one that will have to fix it!

·
Registered
0 Posts
stilcrazee said:
:agree: from the guy that does my body work, when he repainted the nose of my daughters Mitsu...wait at least 1 month for paint to cure!
:agree: Why Didnt you paint the stripe on? :huh: With the Vynle its gonna be a bitch to wax!:lookinup: Sounds Badd ass....Any pics yet?:huh: :cheers:

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I am certainly no expert, I can not be sure I am handling this correctly. However, Romeo (the painter) proscribed the steps from start to finish. He claims that the last step is a coat of Carnuba. He also sets the time line. So, as per his steps wet sanding was done today (friday). Boy did that take the shine out of it.:( He claims saturday will be compound 1 and 2, then Carnuba coat. Car to be picked up Saturday at 5:00pm. He says the car will then shine way more than it did the other day when I first saw it after the booth. He also says the stripe could be put on immediately after he is done. The graphics guy is an old friend of mine. So, I will leave it up to him when he wants to put on the stripe, but he will have the car Monday if he wants it. JCswm you are right if the painter screws this up he has a lot of work ahead of him. But I have faith in the guy or I would not have given it to him to do. We will see, the proof is in the pudding, right?
84 Grandsport, I almost did have the stripe painted on, but my understanding is stock vettes with that stripe are vinyl. In addition, my friend is the graphics guy. So, I just went that way. I mentioned somewhere earlier, he wants me to do a dual stripe, not a single big stripe. Unless he shows me a design that really turns me on, I will stick with the GS stripe. Do you guys have any suggestions as to shiny black stripe or a matte finish (flat)?
Maybe I will have the time saturday night to figure out the picture thing, working hard to pay for this deal!
Thanks guys, Roger

·
Registered
0 Posts
Roger said:
Do you guys have any suggestions as to shiny black stripe or a matte finish (flat)?
Maybe I will have the time saturday night to figure out the picture thing, working hard to pay for this deal!
Thanks guys, Roger
I would go with Gloss so the shine matches the new paint!:thumbsup: But do whatever you dfeel is best!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
Put the gloss one on!!!
It comes with a protective film on it that looks like a matte finish... After you put the stripe on you'll peal off the film and see how much better the glossy finish looks .... At least that's what happened to me
:thumbsup:

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Home, sweet, home...

Picked the car up late Saturday night. They finished wet sanding it Saturday AM. Then started the compound process at about 3:30 PM. Two bouts with the buffer and two grades of compound. One round of carnuba and I got to take her home. At 9:00Pm! It is beautiful. It looks really thick and glass like. I don't know how it could be better even if we had let it cure 60 days. The paint seemed to accept the compound and wax just fine. Maybe some other paints need the respite. I did not have a car cover (it gets dusty around here real bad) so I put a pair of sheets over the car. It is so slick the regular cotton sheets won't stay on the car by themselves, they just keep sliding off. I think the gold sparklies look even cooler at night in the lights than the day. I'll get some final pictures taken today. Haven't talked to Jay about the striping yet, tomorrow. I have most of the pics on my computer now. I think I will set up some sort of personal site and give you the address, as this is alot of pics. I don't think Patrick would appreciate that many being put on this site. LOL. Working it up tonight. Having fun with it though.:cheers:

·
DC Crew
32,976 Posts
Re: Home, sweet, home...

Roger said:
I did not have a car cover (it gets dusty around here real bad) so I put a pair of sheets over the car. It is so slick the regular cotton sheets won't stay on the car by themselves, they just keep sliding off.

Just put a couple of bricks on them. That should help.:laughing: :laughing:

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Oh, yeah...

Thanks a lot for that advice. I'm already paranoid about someone going by it in the garage and scratching it:laughing:

·
Registered
13 Posts
I wouldnt put anything vinyl on the paint for at least 30 days. Paint evaporates from the inside out, and if you cover it the solvents have nowhere to go ......which leads to solvent popping. Could cause a real mess under those stripes.

·
DC Crew
53,226 Posts
Re: Home, sweet, home...

Roger said:
I don't think Patrick would appreciate that many being put on this site. LOL. Working it up tonight. Having fun with it though.:cheers:
C'mon! Upload a few dozen! :thumbsup:

·
DC Crew
53,226 Posts
Re: Oh, yeah...

Roger said:
Thanks a lot for that advice. I'm already paranoid about someone going by it in the garage and scratching it:laughing:
I find if you take a hammer and smack the side mirror you'll get a nice chip. After that you just don't worry about the paint much. :laughing:

·
DC Crew
53,226 Posts
One last thing... (can I just take over this thread?) understand that the Vinyl will look DULL compared to that paint. I've had a lot of vinyl done in my day with the best materials. Much like my red hashmarks, they almost look like flat red compared to my paint.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Sorry this is taking so long!

Really I do have pictures. Time has been a bear. the guy that is striping the car has put me off until after the holidays...ugh. I wondered about the stripe and it's ability to keep shiny. are the stripes on your car tape, Patrick? if so, are you able to keep them shiny? or are they flat to begin with?

1 - 20 of 37 Posts