Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay we all know how inefficient C3 corvettes ventilation system is at cooling off the cockpit. Maybe someday I'll put the AC back in it but for now I've just shut off the passive flow of hot water thru the heater box by putting in a couple of shut off valves( my vaccum diaghram doesn't work). My question is this..Can I cut a hole in the heater box( in the engine compartment) attach a 3" hose fitting to the box wall and run a vent hose to the front of the car to get fresh outside air to come thru the vents ducts; or will I do great damage to the heater box and possible screw up my ability to run the air conditioner should I every put a compressor back on it. Obviously I'm looking for an inexpensive quick fix( headed to the beach next week and the car is hotter than you know what! I mean you actaully feel hot air coming out of the vents...The heater switch is brand new and It definitely gets hotter when the switch is pushed to "hOt" v.s. "cold"...when the valves on the line are open, of course. But with those water lines closed ,switch set to "cold" its still very hot and I just don't know how else to get the cooler outside air in.

Appreciate any suggestions.
Thanks

Marc

·
Registered
738 Posts
A better solution would be to just open the vent in the pass side kick panel. Opening a hole in the heater box as you suggest would bring in underhood air, which will be hot. The existing vent system would be better.
Rereading your post I see you mean to run a hose up front, that would require cutting annother hole up front.
That all seems like lot more Bubba than just fixing the thing.
jmo

1 - 3 of 3 Posts