Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Daily News
2,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Woman Has Yard Full of Snapping Turtles
Saturday, September 08, 2007 6:48:27 AM

Earlier this summer, Betty Kratzke noticed that something was disturbing the ground near the flowers that line her driveway. Solving the mystery this week proved to be a snap -- when baby snapping turtles started crawling around her yard.

"They just keep popping up out of the hole," said Cliff Hanson, Kratzke's brother-in-law.

The turtles had recently hatched and were no bigger than a half dollar coin, said Darrell Perry, another brother-in-law.

Family members scooped up 44 turtles in all. They were put in a cardboard box and taken to the nearby James River.

"They went swimming away like crazy," Kratzke said.

Snapping turtles live to be decades old and can grow up to 40 pounds, said Gene Van Eeckhout, a biologist with the North Dakota Game and Fish Department. They do not make nice pets, he said.

"They're not very friendly to play with," Van Eeckhout said.

Kratzke said she thought some sort of animal was disturbing her flowers. "But it was a long ways from being a muskrat or a raccoon," she said. "They are the cutest little things."

Perry said the experience was one to remember.

"While they were coming out, we just stood there and watched them in amazement," he said.

·
Daily News
2,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I wouldn't want to walk through her yard barefoot! :surprised

·
Daily News
2,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Youch! Those things are nasty from what I've heard. :thud:

They are mean and ornery. My uncle had one eat through the foam and metal seat springs in the rear of his station wagon one time after he caught one in a pond while fishing. It crawled out of the bucket he put it in after he rounded a sharp corner and the bucket overturned in the rear hatch. :surprised

·
Daily News
2,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Foam I could easily see, but metal too? :surprised

That's one mofo that needs to be turned into turtle soup!
He got served, rest assured.

My uncle cut that mofo's head off with a hatchet just as soon as he got home. Did you know their jaws can still reflexively clamp down hours after they've been decapitated? :surprised

They some cold-blooded mofos! (literally) They don't call 'em "King of the Pond" for nothin! I've seen 'em grow as large as a manhole cover. :nuts:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts