Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

21 - 40 of 234 Posts

·
Banned
5,331 Posts
Shows what you know. the 2018 Pacifica has built in launch control. when you stage up at the tree and hold your foot on the brake pedal the engine shuts off. And you can hold your foot on the gas pedal all the way to the floor if you like. When the light turns green just let off the brake pedal and the engine will start cranking and when it finally lights and stabilizes it will eventually go straight to wide open throttle. :rolling:

If I did ever take it to the dragstrip it would get from 0-60 in 7.3 seconds and do the quarter mile in 15.5 seconds. As per this: https://www.automobile-catalog.com/car/2018/2297555/chrysler_pacifica_touring.html

It is a heavy minivan and it does have a v6, but that v6 puts out 280hp and it is mated to a 9 speed transmission with all the latest tech.
If you break the Family Minivan drag racing you will be ****ed.
Can't haul 3 kids and a wife around in hotrod C5.

Don't have a garage at home.
Can't work outside of the Rental.
Have to dump the Customers Vette off the lift at work and put the Minivan on to repair it.

·
Premium Member
4,722 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
If your Happy Leave it alone.
I think you will get bored with Mid 12's.
I want to tell you what makes me happy. The red 2011 GS went down the track last night against a 2019 Z06 with 1k miles on the clock. The owner was bragging about it. Wile the Z06 had a better r/t and didn't spin the tires so much, our 2011 GS trapped at a higher speed than the $100,000 car. :partyon: The wife took video and high res pictures with her camera. I am trying to get all that now.

It really really REALLY sucks we only got to make 2 passes last night. I will get down into the 11's. don't worry about that.

·
Banned
5,331 Posts
I want to tell you what makes me happy. The red 2011 GS went down the track last night against a 2019 Z06 with 1k miles on the clock. The owner was bragging about it. Wile the Z06 had a better r/t and didn't spin the tires so much, our 2011 GS trapped at a higher speed than the $100,000 car. :partyon: The wife took video and high res pictures with her camera. I am trying to get all that now.

It really really REALLY sucks we only got to make 2 passes last night. I will get down into the 11's. don't worry about that.
I don't see the ET Chase Race being so important in 2019.
Street Outlaws changed the outlook land scape.
Did not expect No Prep Drag getting so big.
Get a baseline. Go from there.

Fighting alot.
Hardcore knew when to get serious with his C5.
Military guy.
One track mind mission.
Just needed help advice from me at times.
Most he had planned.

·
Premium Member
4,722 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
If you break the Family Minivan drag racing you will be ****ed.
Can't haul 3 kids and a wife around in hotrod C5.

Don't have a garage at home.
Can't work outside of the Rental.
Have to dump the Customers Vette off the lift at work and put the Minivan on to repair it.
We have to get off the minivan. I bought that for my wife and kids. I did not buy it for its performance outside comfort and the 5 star crash safety rating every way they rate it. That is my rescue vehicle. So that when and if I get a flat tire and have to get towed because I am not on run flats I can have a comfortable living room show up with my family and cool air and soft music and leather and warm led lighting and just be comfortable while I wait for the car to be delivered back to my job. I live in the concrete jungle. I do not need to prepare like I live in the sticks. And furthermore with a new vehicle and my corvette built up for reliability and my job so close I have no real need for a garage at my home. Just because any garage I would setup would be a fraction of the shop that I run all day long and have keys to and is just a few minutes down the street. Literally.

·
Premium Member
4,722 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Just needed help advice from me at times.
But who would take racing advice from someone that doesn't go to a race track? Or a drag strip? or even have a racecar?

Someone who needs 10 sets of spark plugs to tune an engine, that's who. ;)

Well the rest of us look for actual experience to learn from. Or we should, anyways.

Speaking of which, How's that engine for your racecar coming?

·
Banned
5,331 Posts
We have to get off the minivan. I bought that for my wife and kids. I did not buy it for its performance outside comfort and the 5 star crash safety rating every way they rate it. That is my rescue vehicle. So that when and if I get a flat tire and have to get towed because I am not on run flats I can have a comfortable living room show up with my family and cool air and soft music and leather and warm led lighting and just be comfortable while I wait for the car to be delivered back to my job. I live in the concrete jungle. I do not need to prepare like I live in the sticks. And furthermore with a new vehicle and my corvette built up for reliability and my job so close I have no real need for a garage at my home. Just because any garage I would setup would be a fraction of the shop that I run all day long and have keys to and is just a few minutes down the street. Literally.
The rest of Florida is the Sticks just like most of Illinois.

·
Banned
5,331 Posts
But who would take racing advice from someone that doesn't go to a race track? Or a drag strip? or even have a racecar?

Someone who needs 10 sets of spark plugs to tune an engine, that's who. ;)

Well the rest of us look for actual experience to learn from. Or we should, anyways.

Speaking of which, How's that engine for your racecar coming?
I recall Vivid the Argument with Hardcore and You Reading Spark Plugs when tuning Nitrous Hits.
Went on for like Decades.
He is Correct. You know it also.

Everything your up against nothing else is as effective and affordable as A Nitrous kit.
Sucks on LS. THOSE HEADER TUBES STAY HOT IN THE SUMMER FOR A LONG TIME !

Crower has my Ti Rods.
6 had 11 passes at 950 Hp.
From a Nostalgia A Super Stock Car.
Sent in to get inspected.
2 are brand new.
I insured for $10k.
Cost $135 to ship !
Be done next week and shipped out.
Got the call back yesterday.
Price not too bad to reapply Plasma spray. No one knows what it is. Top secrect. Only Crower knows. Will not tell me.
Not online.
Not even Grumpy knows.
Told superior to C6 Z06 Ti rod coatings.

·
Banned
5,331 Posts
If you say so. I honestly can not recall the last time any vehicle I owned actually left paved roads. I am sure there are those places but not where I am.
I don't know what to tell ya.
It takes you 45 minutes to get to work driving just 3-5 miles I recall you saying.
In that time I drove 50-55 miles to South Chicago Joliet doing 70-75 mph.

It's jammed packed in South Florida with retired Boomers.

You can not drive any distance likely till after midnight.
Most asleep.

·
Premium Member
4,722 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
I don't know what to tell ya.
It takes you 45 minutes to get to work driving just 3-5 miles I recall you saying.
In that time I drove 50-55 miles to South Chicago Joliet doing 70-75 mph.

It's jammed packed in South Florida with retired Boomers.

You can not drive any distance likely till after midnight.
Most asleep.
I think we are exaggerating that just a bit. I have a 15-20 minute ride to work. It can take a bit longer when traffic is real bad. But on Saturday and on my lunchbreak I can get to or from in about 10. It is an enjoyable ride with my quiet exhaust, cold a/c, and the morning news on the 10.1" android head unit.

·
Banned
5,331 Posts
I think we are exaggerating that just a bit. I have a 15-20 minute ride to work. It can take a bit longer when traffic is real bad. But on Saturday and on my lunchbreak I can get to or from in about 10. It is an enjoyable ride with my quiet exhaust, cold a/c, and the morning news on the 10.1" android head unit.
It's your only personal car to get around.
Certain criteria has to be met by You.
So compromises made to meet the goal.
Now you have the drag racing Bug.
It's dominated the online Facebook groups Motorsports world. You know how big it is.

Just like drag racing fast compromises are made.
Creature comforts go.
My only criteria I must have comfy Uhpohlstered racing seats.

Creature comforts can stay.
Need a Huge Hp Shot.
You choose how much to spray in.
It all fits under a stock Corvette hood.

·
Premium Member
4,722 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
He is Correct. You know it also.
Ok, so you pull your 8th set of spark plugs and see a little aluminum on the spark plug. Well here is your ignition maps. Please tell me what changes you might make to this table based off of your eyecrometer just looking at the tip of a spark plug..

The correct way here is to log knock retard to a map or graph setup with the same breakpoints as the ignition map and ride around and log data. Let the map fill up with knock retard data in the cells it is happening then copy and paste subtracting the map from the ignition map and you have made the correct correction for detonation. Now go out and drive the car again and make sure there is no more kr. And this is how we verify our tuning in efi. It is all by data directing you to make very specific changes to very specific cells. 10 sets of plugs absolutely screams this person does not trust or know how to work with the data they are logging. Period.

We can check our spark plugs and I was saying that in an effort to be nice but honestly we verify by having noise present in the kr sensor and tuning the noise out without laxing the calibration for the kr sensor. Most relax the calibration for the knock sensor and blame the noise on 'fake kr' or burst knock because it pulls timing and they cant stop it any other way. And maybe that is why so many of these custom built and tuned engines live such a short life. I don't. I tune the right way. I am proud to follow procedure even after all these years. It affords me consistent performance as the tuner of vetteXperts.

·
Banned
5,331 Posts
Ok, so you pull your 8th set of spark plugs and see a little aluminum on the spark plug. Well here is your ignition maps. Please tell me what changes you might make to this table based off of your eyecrometer just looking at the tip of a spark plug..

The correct way here is to log knock retard to a map or graph setup with the same breakpoints as the ignition map and ride around and log data. Let the map fill up with knock retard data in the cells it is happening then copy and paste subtracting the map from the ignition map and you have made the correct correction for detonation. Now go out and drive the car again and make sure there is no more kr. And this is how we verify our tuning in efi. It is all by data directing you to make very specific changes to very specific cells. 10 sets of plugs absolutely screams this person does not trust or know how to work with the data they are logging. Period.

We can check our spark plugs and I was saying that in an effort to be nice but honestly we verify by having noise present in the kr sensor and tuning the noise out without laxing the calibration for the kr sensor. Most relax the calibration for the knock sensor and blame the noise on 'fake kr' or burst knock because it pulls timing and they cant stop it any other way. And maybe that is why so many of these custom built and tuned engines live such a short life. I don't. I tune the right way. I am proud to follow procedure even after all these years. It affords me consistent performance as the tuner of vetteXperts.
What Do You do If you can not LS Swap it and no computer setup to Datalog and no HP Tuners to use ?
It's no prep drag racing.
$10k to win in 3 days have a chance to.

No Knock sensors also.
Using Nitromethane Fuel too.
Melt any wideband instant.
Nitrous big shots tend to do the same.
Header pipes instant 2500-4000 F glowing white incandescent Hot !

·
Premium Member
4,722 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Naaaa....Hero Action to me.
No, No. Let's call this spade a spade. OLD SCHOOL action for you. There was a Nissan GTR there with a full interior and A/C that was doing 8's. And a McLaren that was doing mid 9's. Again full interior carpet a/c nothing stripped from the performance exotic car. Today if you have the money to spend to go real fast you can very much do it in the lap of luxury.

You seem to be so lost in a time where we had to shock the hell out our drivelines to get a good launch. And you don't see that it is because you had so few gears to play with before electronic control. Did you know there really are no transbrake kits available for the 6l80E? For the simple fact that first gear is already 4.02:1. You cant play like that with your th400, dude. And that is just the 6 speed. Today we have 8, 9 and even 10 speed transmissions. You don't have to be uncomfortable to go fast. You want to be uncomfortable and enjoy putting yourself in that position. You masochistic freak.

·
Banned
5,331 Posts
No, No. Let's call this spade a spade. OLD SCHOOL action for you. There was a Nissan GTR there with a full interior and A/C that was doing 8's. And a McLaren that was doing mid 9's. Again full interior carpet a/c nothing stripped from the performance exotic car. Today if you have the money to spend to go real fast you can very much do it in the lap of luxury.

You seem to be so lost in a time where we had to shock the hell out our drivelines to get a good launch. And you don't see that it is because you had so few gears to play with before electronic control. Did you know there really are no transbrake kits available for the 6l80E? For the simple fact that first gear is already 4.02:1. You cant play like that with your th400, dude. And that is just the 6 speed. Today we have 8, 9 and even 10 speed transmissions. You don't have to be uncomfortable to go fast. You want to be uncomfortable and enjoy putting yourself in that position. You masochistic freak.
Your Probably partial correct.
I am stuck in time from 1970s - 2005.
My Old Neighbor Mike I grew up next to was a Diehard Chevy guy with a low 10 second ET 1975 Chevy Monza.
It had a 355 ci 14:1 static compression SBC Based off a 327 SBC block.
It had JE pistons, Bill Miller Aluminum rods 6.0 inches center to center.
Factor iron Full Race ported 2.02 double hump heads.
Weiland Tunnel Ram with A pair of Holley 660s 4-bbls.
Full Roller Crane Cam and valvetrain.
It revved to 9500 rpm.
Turbo 400 Trans with a Transbrake.
5500 rpm Coan 8 inch Torque converter.
Big Tire car.
Huge Goodyear Slicks.
1957 Pontiac 9.3 Rear Diff narrowed with Mark Williams 35-spline axles. Strange Engineering Race spool billet steel. 5.57 :1 Richmond Gears.
Looked very much like Grumpy Jenkins Toy Drag car.
It was a custom Maroon paint.
Mike was a Body paint man for a living.
He drove a 1978 Trans Am daily or a Chevy K5 Blazer on 44s Super Swampers with an 8 inch lift kit

He kinda despised Pontiacs.
His Sister married a Mexican with the Fastest Pontiac around 12 miles away.
Mike called them the ****ing Wetback Mexicans.
Street Racing Rivalry.
Mondo and his brothers were into Pontiacs.
They had a 1974 Pontiac GTO X body.
They used a 1965 421 With factory Iron Ram Air 4 heads.
They beat Mike Street Racing.
About 1979 year.

I asked Mike sometimes why do you drive Lisa's Trans Am instead of your 1979 Z28 Camaro ?
Because it's Fast Brian and it does awesome Burnouts !

·
Banned
5,331 Posts
So when I came of Age....Mike and the Gang are 12 years older than me I hung alot with those guys at night.
There Is Robert a Diehard Big Block Chevy.
Bob would say let's Go to the Mexicans House today and Harrass Victor that Damn Wetback.
I would Be Ok !. Hop in one of Bob's Corvettes.
Bone stock all C3 & C4s.
Sometimes I would drive the Vette.
Pontiac Wonderland Victors House.

Walk up ....Bob...HEY NO GOOD ****ING WETBACK I AM HERE TO DRINK ALL YOUR BEER.
WHERE IS YOUR WIFE MARY I WANT TACOS TOO I AM ****ING HUNGRY !
Welcomed open arms....entire town is Mexicans other than Mary Mikes Sister !

I GOT BRIAN WITH ME YOU GUYS CAN TALK PONTIACS WHILE I GET DRUNK !

·
Banned
5,331 Posts

Anyhow....
There is a Poor Mans Transbrake done by LS Turbo guys 5.3 V8 with a 4L80E.
It could also be tried with 6L80e.
It's on the Turbo Forum archives how to.
1st and reverse gears are engaged at the same time via the shift solenoids.
Pretty sure Dodge Did the same with the Demon.

A Pro Tree Transbrake is actually a very sophisticated layout.
Allows .001 second - 1 microsecond launches full power stored instant released.
The driveline is not shocked so hard.
Driveline in preload setting when the button released.

·
Premium Member
4,722 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Anyhow....
There is a Poor Mans Transbrake done by LS Turbo guys 5.3 V8 with a 4L80E.
It could also be tried with 6L80e.
It's on the Turbo Forum archives how to.
1st and reverse gears are engaged at the same time via the shift solenoids.
Pretty sure Dodge Did the same with the Demon.

A Pro Tree Transbrake is actually a very sophisticated layout.
Allows .001 second - 1 microsecond launches full power stored instant released.
The driveline is not shocked so hard.
Driveline in preload setting when the button released.
So I hear the ideal way to launch with a 6l80e is with a converter and launching at a mere 1900rpm. I mean you can do your own research on the subject and come back here and tell me how right I am. It is 2 extra gears and starting off with 4.02:1. And that means we can do things a little differently.

21 - 40 of 234 Posts