Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

41 - 60 of 234 Posts

·
Banned
5,331 Posts
So I hear the ideal way to launch with a 6l80e is with a converter and launching at a mere 1900rpm. I mean you can do your own research on the subject and come back here and tell me how right I am. It is 2 extra gears and starting off with 4.02:1. And that means we can do things a little differently.
There is actually little I can do with that Red ZO6.
It's Locked in the combo.
Real customer wants desires.
Not yours or mine.
What it runs that is it Wiz.
Kinda end of story.

Not that new actually 4 series 1st gear.
Actually dates back along time ago in GM History.
The Oldsmobile Jet-A-Way Transmission and Pontiac called it the Superhydromatic.
1 st gear was 4.06 :1.
I have one a 1964 Superhydromatic.
Came attached to a Pontiac 389.
Actually a strong trans I read.
Almost scrapped it in past.
4-speed auto no Overdrive.
A guy rebuilds and sells on ebay for $3000.00.
Seen that sales add and hanging onto !

·
Premium Member
4,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Pretty sure Dodge Did the same with the Demon.
So we have had the pleasure of restoring a callaway twin turbo C4. 1987 and in triple black. It was years ago and I posted pictures of it here before. This car..

This car had twin turbos. They were small turbos that were water cooled and mounted down low on either side of the oil pan right at the rear of the engine. It also has the 4+3 shifter and magnesium wheels. The Callaway TT c4 was good for 500hp and was an absolute hoot to drive. Or it was supposed to be 500hp. We didn't have a dyno back in the days when we restored this car. However this was a 1987. And 500hp was absolutely incredible in a car back then. But a year later in 1988 there was a Callaway Sledgehammer made that did 254mph and was packing 898hp. running 22psi of boost. Body was ugly as sin but there was a Corvette made with higher numbers than the demon and 30 years earlier.

https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-culture/car-design/a18193792/callaway-sledgehammer-corvette/

http://www.lingenfelter.com/forum_lingenfelter/articles/10414-lingenfelter-powered-1988-callaway-sledgehammer-corvette-mecum-kissimmee-auction-jan-24th-2014

·
Banned
5,331 Posts
So we have had the pleasure of restoring a callaway twin turbo C4. 1987 and in triple black. It was years ago and I posted pictures of it here before. This car..

This car had twin turbos. They were small turbos that were water cooled and mounted down low on either side of the oil pan right at the rear of the engine. It also has the 4+3 shifter. The Callaway TT c4 was good for 500hp. Or it was supposed to be.We didn't have a dyno back in the days we restored this car. However this was 1987. And 500hp was absolutely incredible in a car back then. But a year later in 1988 there was a Callaway Sledgehammer made. In 1988. That did 254mph and was packing 898hp. Body was ugly as sin but there was a Corvette made with higher numbers than the demon and 30 years earlier.

https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-culture/car-design/a18193792/callaway-sledgehammer-corvette/

http://www.lingenfelter.com/forum_lingenfelter/articles/10414-lingenfelter-powered-1988-callaway-sledgehammer-corvette-mecum-kissimmee-auction-jan-24th-2014
You have to look back on CFC4 Archives 20 years now.
1988 -1990 TT Callaway.
Stock Turbos boost cranked....guys in Texas Ran 9.30's 1/4 mile. Retune. Was a Piggyback EFI 2 injectors added to Intake cast Boost section to throttle body.
Amazing....
Later versions had over 650 ft/lbs torque from 350 ci !

·
Premium Member
4,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
You have to look back on CFC4 Archives 20 years now.
1988 -1990 TT Callaway.
Stock Turbos boost cranked....guys in Texas Ran 9.30's 1/4 mile. Retune. Was a Piggyback EFI 2 injectors added to Intake cast Boost section to throttle body.
Amazing....
Later versions had over 650 ft/lbs torque from 350 ci !
go look at those links. 772lb-ft out of 22lbs of boost pushing a sbc 350. in 1988.

·
Banned
5,331 Posts
go look at those links. 772lb-ft out of 22lbs of boost pushing a sbc 350. in 1988.
Probably.
Boost builds torque.

The ultimate was Sledgehammer 1988-89.
950 Hp Twin Turbo.
Baddest C4 Ever built.

There was actually another faster on CFC4.
401 ci SBC Twin Turbo home race shop built.
Ran 6.99 Et at 200 mph.
Traded hands the new owner put it on the roof at 1320 mark.
Destroyed.
Gunny Recalls.

·
Premium Member
4,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Retune. Was a Piggyback EFI 2 injectors added to Intake cast Boost section to throttle body.
Amazing....

This setup would benefit well from oversized fuel rails, huge injectors like 60 or 80 lb/hr, oversized intake runners and throttle body, FAST easy EFI 2.0 multi port retro fit, a larger pair of turbos, and a water meth injection kit using those two injectors and that small rail directly in front of the throttle body.

But I digress. So much work and effort would be so much better spent on applying TT to an LS or newer engine.

·
Banned
5,331 Posts

This setup would benefit well from oversized fuel rails, huge injectors like 60 or 80 lb/hr, oversized intake runners and throttle body, FAST easy EFI 2.0 multi port retro fit, a larger pair of turbos, and a water meth injection kit using those two injectors and that small rail directly in front of the throttle body.

But I digress. So much work and effort would be so much better spent on applying TT to an LS or newer engine.
There was a rare option intake on Tuned Port TPI TT Callaway.
I recall it was about 1988-89.
Maybe 5 casted made. It was nicknamed the Mailbox intake.
Predecessor to the LT1-LT4.
It had a Rouned appearance.
Much like Tony Mammos Mini Ram.
The Maibox intake was good for 100 Hp more bolted on.
Have to remember it was 1980s tech and no aftermarket blocks existed.
They all used Chevy 4-bolt Truck blocks.

It's customer wants and desires.
Custom race builds are up $200k in shops as you know with labor.
Most do not want old Tech.

Actually 1 guy doing miracles with SBC.
ONLY ON FACEBOOK.
CHAD SPIERS.
He has cranked out drag SBC pushing 900 Hp 1-4bbl No power adder.
He is A Pro Head porter.
I think he is the best alive.
Puts Mammo to shame.

·
Premium Member
4,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #49 (Edited)
You should go visit a raceway this summer. See what is out there. See what people are really running with. Ya know? Unplug from your mind and get a little dose of reality in you. :thumbsup:

·
Banned
5,331 Posts
You should go visit a raceway this summer. See what is out there. See what people are really running with. Ya know? Unplug from your mind and get a little dose of reality in you. :thumbsup:
I already know what's out there Wiz here in lllinois, Wisconsin & Indiana.
Since It has been so dead for months and months on end here on DC I decided not to hog the Forum with Drag Racing Events.
Gunny Loves Road Racing along with most others.

Every Track in the Midwest is Jam Packed with No Prep Time clocks off drag racing events.
The MAIN FEATURES IN 2019 !
STREET OUTLAWS !

Run what you Brung....**** it don't matter !

·
Premium Member
4,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
I already know what's out there Wiz here in lllinois, Wisconsin & Indiana...

Run what you Brung....**** it don't matter !
That's right buddy. So just take your C4 out there and get a baseline on the prepped track. You are always talking about these huge burnouts and traveling over 100mph in that car, so why not? And then come home and make a change before you go back. And slowly you can at least call your C4 your racecar as you chase better times at each point on the slips. I have already set the racecar bar pretty low with my 357hp DD. And your C4 you claim to be a better drag racing chassis. So go prove it to us. Go get and show us some 60' times. That doesn't take thousands of HP. just a good chassis setup and some sticky tires. Me and the red C6 are stuck around 1.8s. And easy time to beat.

·
Premium Member
4,668 Posts
Wiz, some folks have a hard time with Money, reality, fantasy and the real world. There are different classes for a reason. When I started road racing it was in a H/Production Bugeye Sprite. The lowest SCCA class. 948 cc's of rompin' stomping racecar. It was slow by racecar standards but when there are 40 cars on a track running down the 5000' main straight wide open at 120 MPH or so trading paint and mirrors it's a rush. 40 cars trying to get the best line to a 90 degree turn 1. It's as much a race as any class.

Next came a 1296cc Triumph Spitfire F/Production and quite a bit faster than the H/P cars. Still 40 of us all racing our asses off and a big a thrill as the B/M Corvettes.

Next came the D/P TR5. 2500 cc's of faster racing still. Same folks, same racing and the same thrill as the Bugeye.

SCCA D/P Porsche was next and it was faster than the Triumph. The Porsche is the one that I took to IMSA GTU class. Less than 2.5 liters but a lot more leeway in the power, suspension and speed. We still respected the H/P guys because we knew that their rush was the same as ours. 25 laps around a 2.5 mile course takes time and you're always on your game or you're in the runoff area, the bushes or you're trying out your roll bar. You're supposed to keep the shiny side up and the greasy side down.:laughing:

I don't see drag racing as any different. There are classes for a reason. Learn to drive on a good reliable and fast car and keep moving up as your finances and desire will allow. Many folks stayed in H/P all their racing days and still had the same shaky hands after the race as the "big boys". It's a physiological adrenalin rush regardless of the class.

Your car is turning good times for what you have and you may want to stay right there and that's just fine. You may want to move up and go a bunch faster and that's alright also. Your car and your call.

We might have a self declared street racer on here that would be totally lost and surely dead if he tried to jump into a funny car. Learn to drive whatever makes YOU happy. There's no sense in trying to be the fastest because there will ALWAYS be someone faster. Keep on keeping on and race your racecar however you feel. You're doing it right. You're doing it within your budget and I'm certain there's food on your table, the kids are well dressed and you're a responsible adult. Good job!!

·
Banned
5,331 Posts
That's right buddy. So just take your C4 out there and get a baseline on the prepped track. You are always talking about these huge burnouts and traveling over 100mph in that car, so why not? And then come home and make a change before you go back. And slowly you can at least call your C4 your racecar as you chase better times at each point on the slips. I have already set the racecar bar pretty low with my 357hp DD. And your C4 you claim to be a better drag racing chassis. So go prove it to us. Go get and show us some 60' times. That doesn't take thousands of HP. just a good chassis setup and some sticky tires. Me and the red C6 are stuck around 1.8s. And easy time to beat.

Waste of time.
Its a 13.1 ET car or so.

When Ready with the Trans Am I am going right after the 1000 HP Hellaphant.
780 Hp Demon.
707 Hellocats Modded to 1000 + HP.

Less than 9-second ET Power with Timeclocks off.

·
Banned
5,331 Posts
Wiz, some folks have a hard time with Money, reality, fantasy and the real world. There are different classes for a reason. When I started road racing it was in a H/Production Bugeye Sprite. The lowest SCCA class. 948 cc's of rompin' stomping racecar. It was slow by racecar standards but when there are 40 cars on a track running down the 5000' main straight wide open at 120 MPH or so trading paint and mirrors it's a rush. 40 cars trying to get the best line to a 90 degree turn 1. It's as much a race as any class.

Next came a 1296cc Triumph Spitfire F/Production and quite a bit faster than the H/P cars. Still 40 of us all racing our asses off and a big a thrill as the B/M Corvettes.

Next came the D/P TR5. 2500 cc's of faster racing still. Same folks, same racing and the same thrill as the Bugeye.

SCCA D/P Porsche was next and it was faster than the Triumph. The Porsche is the one that I took to IMSA GTU class. Less than 2.5 liters but a lot more leeway in the power, suspension and speed. We still respected the H/P guys because we knew that their rush was the same as ours. 25 laps around a 2.5 mile course takes time and you're always on your game or you're in the runoff area, the bushes or you're trying out your roll bar. You're supposed to keep the shiny side up and the greasy side down.:laughing:

I don't see drag racing as any different. There are classes for a reason. Learn to drive on a good reliable and fast car and keep moving up as your finances and desire will allow. Many folks stayed in H/P all their racing days and still had the same shaky hands after the race as the "big boys". It's a physiological adrenalin rush regardless of the class.

Your car is turning good times for what you have and you may want to stay right there and that's just fine. You may want to move up and go a bunch faster and that's alright also. Your car and your call.

We might have a self declared street racer on here that would be totally lost and surely dead if he tried to jump into a funny car. Learn to drive whatever makes YOU happy. There's no sense in trying to be the fastest because there will ALWAYS be someone faster. Keep on keeping on and race your racecar however you feel. You're doing it right. You're doing it within your budget and I'm certain there's food on your table, the kids are well dressed and you're a responsible adult. Good job!!
There is a video out with a Hellcat Road Racing.
He actually does pretty good and cutsc respectively good track time.
It's on Grumps.
Either he posted or I did. Don't recall now.

·
Banned
5,331 Posts

Its just the Shitter till the C8 comes out.
1 more year at least for the TT C8.

I think the shitter till someone here races the Donkmaster in Florida You Wiz & win.
Me I race Turbo Joe.

·
Banned
5,331 Posts

We can not even do anything to bring Pro Tour back Mainstream to Digital Corvette.
It was all based around Physdo Road Race Kool.
Absolute Zero with Drag Race Super Fast Sub 10 second 1/4 Et.

There has Not Been A Lemans Win by Corvette for a Long Time Now
IT'S BY FAR THE GREATEST CORVETTE ACHIEVMENT.

THEY KEPT ****ING AROUND SUPERCHARGING.
GM JUST ****ING SUCKS AT IT.

LOOK BACK AT THE BUICK 1987 GNX.
HOLY **** FAST OUT OF NO WHERE 1987 TURBO V6.

C8 HAS TO WIN LEMANS.
NEED THAT 1000 HP TT.

41 - 60 of 234 Posts