Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not once, but twice :surprised
I immediately called a friend who I knew it's happened to

At first I followed the DIC message to pull the key for 10 seconds. That didn't immediately work after 3 attempts
I talked to my friend, and he told me to crank the steering wheel to the opposite direction a couple of times. It was kind of trying to muscle it but without breaking or forcing anything; it actually emits a beep sound pretty much like a torque wrench would
I re-inserted the key after 20 seconds, and it worked. It also worked the second time around

I was quite surprised. I figured if my Z06 was ever going to get the CL fail on me, that it would've been somewhere during the first two years of the car
I've also made the habit of always parking my car with the wheels straight. Today the wheels were slightly turned when it happened; perhaps 1/8th of a turn at most to the right
Anyway, I hope this may help someone if they ever get bitten by the CL :smack

·
Registered
402 Posts
This happened to a new friend, Mike, I met at Spring Mountain last month. It was Sunday afternoon and he thought he was going to be stuck there. Following the DIC instructions didn't work. I got him to try my fix that worked when this happened to me a few years ago - vigorously shaking the steering wheel back and forth while cycling the key. Similar to dragsterZ06's fix, putting pressure on the solenoid pin must free something up.

·
Registered
594 Posts
:agree: For about $50 (bought mine from Corvettes of Houston) and less than 30 minutes, you can take care of this and not have to worry about it again...at least mine hasn't given me any further issues in nearly a year since I installed it.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok. Is there any write-up on how to do the CLB?
What kind of tools you need, and such?
Or does the CLB Kit comes with the instructions?

I have heard the dealer fix has come back to strike again, so it's not a 100% fix

·
Registered
594 Posts
Yes..comes with instructions...VERY simple!!!

Mine has worked like a charm!

It's the #1 selling item at Corvettes of Houston...I'm guessing it's widely available from a number of vendors for about the same price.

·
Registered
3 Posts
CLB Problem

Hi everyone, my first post to this site, but have been reading your postings for at least a month, and everyone has been very helpful! Ok, regarding the column lock simulator kit, I did buy one, and installed it according to the instructions included. Luckily, my car got stuck at a service station, so a mechanic helped me out installing the part. Unfortunately, it didn't work! I still received the "Pull key for 10 seconds..." message, and ultimately also received the "Service Column Lock" message. Very frustrating. I have a 1997 C5, and I'm starting to wonder why I seem to be the only having problems with this part! The only thing is this: I bought the part from "Doctor Don's" who supposedly makes this piece specifically for Corvettes for $45. Any suggestions would be much appreciated!

http://www.digitalcorvettes.com/forums/images/smilies/wtf.gif
:WTF

http://www.digitalcorvettes.com/forums/images/smilies/nutkick.gif
:nuts:

·
Registered
3 Posts
D'oh

Ok, now I feel like an idiot! The problem was this: Dr. Don's instructions didn't tell me where along the green, purple, etc wires to install. I was trying to install the device in the wires directly under the steering wheel. After searching more online, I found that you really had to go under the dash. As soon as I did this, it worked! No problems.

http://www.digitalcorvettes.com/forums/images/smilies/crazy.gif
:crazy:

·
Registered
594 Posts
If it's like the one I got from COH, I had to remove the panel under the steering wheel, unplug a harness, insert the bypass harness and also plug a device into another connector and power it off the cigarette lighter, while doing so. IIRC, the powered connection deactivated the column lock while installing the bypass harness...or something like that. I did it over a year ago, so the exact sequences of steps is a bit fuzzy.

Glad you got it working!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks!

Thanks for the reply! Yes, I also had to remove the knee pad to access the wires underneath. No problems after that point! I just wish Dr. Don's instructions were more specific, because it did not mention those wires (it literally said look for the wires underneath the steering wheel). I have had no problems since!

·
Registered
17 Posts
I bought one from "Doc Don" as well a few months back. Installed it per the intructions. I found out that if you have had ANY recall done by the dealer, you or the previous owner, you will need to remove the K Harness from the system and then install the CLB. Mine didn't work the first time either and I had the CLB checked by Doc Don and it came back as being OK. That is when I did more research and found out about removing the K Harness altogether. That part is not in the instructions. Hope this helps someone sometime.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts