Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

The buzz on the Web today is all about leaked photos of China's new military toy, the J-20 stealth fighter jet. Both military enthusiasts and China observers are intrigued by the J-20 and eager for details.

Hard information is difficult to come by, since there are conflicting reports out of China on what might be the country's first fifth-generation fighter. Here's what we do know about the new stealth aircraft:

1. It's still being tested

The prototype J-20 was allegedly tested today on a runway in central China. It still has to be tested in the air, but observers think that that could happen soon -- maybe even Thursday.

2. China seems to want us to know that they have it
Pictures allegedly showing the J-20 were apparently leaked to some Chinese media this week, either by authorities or by people who sneaked in to see the plane. But it hardly seems like a coincidence that this news comes just ahead of U.S. Secretary of Defense Robert Gates' visit to Beijing, scheduled to begin Sunday.

3. It will be years before it's operational
This is just the first J-20, and it could be a long time before they work the kinks out and others are made, skeptics say. Some even think that the plane shown in the pictures is just a mock-up. It could be 2018 or even later before the plane is ready to be deployed.

4. It's bigger than the U.S. stealth planes
From the pictures, it looks like the J-20 may be larger than the U.S. stealth planes. Some speculate that that would allow it to carry more and fly longer. But it probably still won't be able to compete with the F-22 Raptor, the United States' fifth-generation stealth plane.

5. It's part of China's new military
The country has apparently been investing heavily in new military equipment so it can remain competitive with the United States and Russia. According to reports, China has an aircraft carrier in the works and is also developing anti-ship ballistic missiles.

http://www.aolnews.com/2011/01/05/j-20-stealth-fighter-jet-5-facts-about-chinas-new-stealth-plan/

·
Registered
5,206 Posts
Damn, Clinton sold the plans for this along with our submarine propeller information, good greef :laughing:

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
That's what happens when American Corporations sell there country out !

Traitors

·
Registered
25,253 Posts
If they are going to build an aircraft carrier, I happen to know of a well qualified aircraft carrier captain who is looking for work. :D

·
Registered
729 Posts
Chicken Little said, "The Sky is Falling!" That hunk of crap is as stealth as Brittney Spears going to a Taco Bell drive through. Lets talk about some real issues here people...Corvettes.

·
Registered
19,914 Posts
Gm says no mid engine
Nice car !
Nice stereo install !
Nice new rims !
Nice color !
Welcome to the club !
How many HP does that add !
Nice job at beating the ricer !
Nice job at beating the Mustang !
Nice job at beating the Viper !

...did I miss anything ? Back to politics. ;)

·
Premium Member
4,668 Posts
I'll wait until it's sorted out then I'll run down to Wal-Mart and buy one.

·
DC PIT CREW BOSS
39,728 Posts
If they are going to build an aircraft carrier, I happen to know of a well qualified aircraft carrier captain who is looking for work. :D
:rolling::rolling::rolling::rolling:

·
Premium Member
9,731 Posts
Rumor has it that China may have the airframe, but but it does not fly, at least not yet. The way this has leaked into the global mainstream Internet, this is more of a propaganda issued out of the China military. If this aircraft really is a "stealth" machine, those of us outside of China's military would be the last to know about this.

Don't believe everything you see and hear on the Internet or media. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
Chinese War propaganda,

They are attempting to Flex their Muscle,

One Problem

Most of the world Does'nt like them or their culture

And american companies that flee the United States to go there and share technology and manufacturing secrets are considered "Traitors" of The
***United States Of America***

Of which they are " Exactly That":nuts:

·
Registered
6,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
:agree:

Clearly, this is the equivalent of stuffing a rolled up sock in your pants. :laughing:

Obviously they will eventually have formidable capability.

·
Premium Member
9,731 Posts
This is a quote from defensenews.com:

Vice Admiral David Dorsett, the director of U.S. naval intelligence, predicted it would be "years" before China's new fighter would be operational.

"Developing a stealth capability with a prototype and then integrating that into a combat environment is going to take some time," he said.

Dorsett said he was not surprised the Chinese were developing a stealth fighter to rival America's fifth generation F-22 Raptor.

Military analysts warn that China is developing a new version of its Dongfeng 21 (DF-21D) ballistic missile that could pierce the defenses of even the sturdiest U.S. naval vessels and has a range far beyond Chinese waters.

"We underestimated when they would be competent and capable of delivering a technological weapon of that type," Dorsett told reporters.

But he also reckoned that China did not yet have the ability to be proficient in a sophisticated combat environment and that it was uncertain when it would actually be able to deploy new military capabilities.

"I see them delivering individual weapon systems, but until they acquire that proficiency - you know the question is how competent are they going to be," Dorsett said.

The naval intelligence chief said he was "more concerned" about China's efforts in cyber-warfare and developing its capabilities in space.

Link

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
You all know they stopped production of the F22 under 200 copies and the U.S navy does not even have a stealth aircraft.
Then we have all the people saying close all those forward bases.
Maybe we should remember that the world is still a very dangerous place.

·
Registered
6,097 Posts
Honestly keeping bases in theaters that are no longer relevant is unnecessary and a waste of money. I don't think we don't need a US combat force presence in Europe anymore. Europe is quite capable of protecting themselves. However I do think we do need to keep our assets in the Pacific theater where the threat from North Korea and possibly China is greater.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
You all know they stopped production of the F22 under 200 copies and the U.S navy does not even have a stealth aircraft.
Then we have all the people saying close all those forward bases.
Maybe we should remember that the world is still a very dangerous place.
The F-35 is a stealth aircraft that will be replacing the F/A-18s. As for the F-22, that plane is so technological superior to any aircraft out there right now, there will probably not be another aircraft to go head to head with it at anytime soon. During the testing phase of the F-22, it was put up against 6 F-15s and was able to shoot them all down pretty much at the same time before they F-15s even know it was there. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Honestly keeping bases in theaters that are no longer relevant is unnecessary and a waste of money. I don't think we don't need a US combat force presence in Europe anymore. Europe is quite capable of protecting themselves. However I do think we do need to keep our assets in the Pacific theater where the threat from North Korea and possibly China is greater.
The bases in europe are supply trains to other locations. Ramstien is a huge hub for all military operations coming in and out of the Central Command Theater.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
The world is a very big place for less than 200 aircraft.
The F35 is a multi service aircraft I hope we are not building a jack of all trades and master of none we tried that with the F4.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts