Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's the major difference and sizes for these to brake systems for a 89 C4?

Are they interchangeable?

·
Registered
674 Posts
J55 & C5 brakes are both 13" rotors with dual piston calipers, but that is about where the similarities end - no parts are interchangable.

The C5 rotors are about twice as thick as the J55's. The C5 caliper is also a bit heavier duty and is a bolt in design unlike the J55's quick change pin style. Also that pad surface is bigger with the C5s.

·
Registered
376 Posts
J55 was an option on the early C4s and standard for 95 & 96. This upgrade can be used with any C4 wheel. C5 brakes require either A-molds (ZR1 wheels) or C5 wheels. They will not fit with sawblades.

·
Registered
515 Posts
What is the difference between the "salad shooters" and the A-molds? Aren't they both stock 17x9.5 wheels?

·
Registered
674 Posts
basically the C5 rotor and therefore the caliper are not set as far back in the wheel as a C4. The inside part of the face of the sawblade wheels will hit the face of the caliper- where as the A-mold/C5/aftermarket wheels allows more clearance. Does that make sense?

You can see what I am talking about in this pic, notice how the Smaller C4 rotor hat sticks way out...which sets in farther back in the wheel.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Oh ok I get it. Its not a matter of overall diameter but front to back clearance. That makes sense, thanks a lot :thumbsup:

·
Super Moderator
8,488 Posts

·
Registered
744 Posts
I would like to put C5 brakes on my 86. does anyone sell just the adapters for this year or maybe the specs to make some?:lookinup:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts