Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, In the process of putting all the parts back on my 81 frame, engine included, hopefully the body soon? So where is a good place to put the front jack stands in hopes to not have to move them as I get further in the project?

·
Registered
2,948 Posts
Hey all, In the process of putting all the parts back on my 81 frame, engine included, hopefully the body soon? So where is a good place to put the front jack stands in hopes to not have to move them as I get further in the project?

In the front, I like to put the jack stands under the front anti sway bar mounts. They sit very good on the jack stand arms and it's very sturdy.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Not to be a goof:crazy:, would that be the straight part of the sway bar across the front of the nose? I willbe moving to the front part of my suspension soon and this is good info. Much thanks. Sorry. Not trying to hijack.

·
Registered
2,948 Posts
Not to be a goof:crazy:, would that be the straight part of the sway bar across the front of the nose? I willbe moving to the front part of my suspension soon and this is good info. Much thanks. Sorry. Not trying to hijack.

No no, not the bar itself...the mounts, where they bolt to the frame.

·
Premium Member
10,260 Posts
I sure wouldn't recommend putting the jackstand under the actual sway bar mounting bracket, but with the bar removed I've put the jackstand directly on the frame where the mounts bolts on. Generally that's a little farther forward than I like to put them. I usually shoot for right under the engine mounts. If that's in the way as you start to get the suspension and steering installed it's not hard to jack it up and scoot them around.

·
Registered
2,948 Posts
I sure wouldn't recommend putting the jackstand under the actual sway bar mounting bracket.

Jason I'm curious why.

I've never encountered any problems. No damage. Extremely stable. Engine hoists still roll under far enough to grab engines. You can access all suspension. You have easy access to the bottom of the engine.

The only downside is if you're actually changing the anti sway bar or bushings. Outside of that, doing it this way for over a decade on many different types of cars and trucks and SUVs...I've never had a problem of any kind.

I'm not saying my way is the only right way. Plenty of places to use...I'm just curious why you wouldn't recommend it.

·
Registered
218 Posts
I have always placed mine on the frame right about under the front door seams. The rear I place right under the rear door seam and with stands on those 4 places you can put all the suspension and everything back together without having to move the stands.

·
Premium Member
10,260 Posts
Jason I'm curious why.

I've never encountered any problems. No damage. Extremely stable. Engine hoists still roll under far enough to grab engines. You can access all suspension. You have easy access to the bottom of the engine.

The only downside is if you're actually changing the anti sway bar or bushings. Outside of that, doing it this way for over a decade on many different types of cars and trucks and SUVs...I've never had a problem of any kind.

I'm not saying my way is the only right way. Plenty of places to use...I'm just curious why you wouldn't recommend it.
Just the fact that those sway bar brackets were never meant to support the weight of the front end. They were designed to secure the bushing around the bar and now you're applying a much larger load in a direction that the bracket was never meant to take. With a crappy old rubber bushing I can see that bracket wanting to flatten out completely and putting a pretty large shear stress on those two little 5/16" bolts. Even the frame in that location isn't nearly as strong because it's not fully boxed. Not saying it's guaranteed to fail, I just think there are better places to put the stands.

·
Registered
2,948 Posts
:agree: Plenty of good places, and everyone has a favorite.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts