Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
"January 16, 1953 Chevrolet introduces the Corvette at New York City's Waldorf-Astoria Hote.

(source: The American Patriots Almanac)

·
Registered
1,338 Posts

1953 Corvette Number 1

June 30, 1953 the first production Corvette rolled off the assemly line in Flint Michigan.- This marked the beginning of an era of American sports cars that became an indusrty icon.- The Corvette has become more that just a sports car, it has become a lifestyle with a loyal following.- Corvette has represented styling, performance and class right from thr beginning.- While the first years of Corvette performance were less that iconic due to the use of the 6 cylinder 3 carb engine coupled to a 2 speed Powerglide transmission, they started the dream car image.

Performance became synonimous with Corvette after Zora Arkus Duntov wrote his famous “Hot Rod” letter to Ed Cole, the head of Chevrolet at that time.- Duntov explained that there was a large group of consumers with a desire to have a serios level of performance from their sports cars.- Starting in 1956 the Corvette became a true performance sports car, with the now famous Chevrolet small block having been installed in the Corvette in 1955, it now carried 2×4 BBL carb and a high lift camshaft to produce 225HP from 265 cu. in!- Duntov and the Chevrolet team took the Corvettes to Daytona Beach, Pikes Peak, 24 Hrs of LeMans and 12 Hrs of Sebring--to set records and show off the power.- Drivers such as John Fitch, Betty Skelton, Zora Arkus Duntov blasted this newly styled Corvette into the record books!

Pb

·
Premium Member
17,444 Posts
And 59 years later it still a dam nice looking car...:thumbsup:

So what kind of surprise do they have in store for 2013?

·
Registered
3,442 Posts
And 59 years later it still a dam nice looking car...:thumbsup:

So what kind of surprise do they have in store for 2013?
:agree: :thumbsup:
hmmmmm, it would be nice if a 150 horsepower, inline 6 cylinder Blue Flame grows up to celebrate 60th birthday and show off it's age by becoming a 666 horsepower :surprised Blue Devil :devil:
just sayin........That's how I would celebrate 60 years. If, I make it that far.

......? at what point in 53 production did the full moon hubcaps change?

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
The "full moon" hubcaps were actually standard production Chevy Bel Air units, substituted on the first few production cars at Flint as the unique Corvette wheel covers were not yet quite ready. Part of Corvette lore.

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
...The "full moon" hubcaps were actually standard production Chevy Bel Air units, substituted on the first few production cars at Flint as the unique Corvette wheel covers were not yet quite ready. Part of Corvette lore...
Correct. Noland Adams says the first fifty 53s got Bel-Air hub caps. 53 production averaged three cars a day, so it could have been late July or the first of August before the spinner hub caps appeared. Assembly line photographs taken in late July show the Bel-Air caps. Photos taken in November show the spinners. Media Day cars photographed in September, 1953 have the spinner caps.

:thumbsup:

·
Registered
5,206 Posts
Here's another picture of the "crew" who built the first Corvettes

My Grandfather is third from the right with "dad" on his sleeve. He told me they took a couple of pictures with the workers and a couple of pictures of the "big shots" that day...enjoy:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,338 Posts

My Grandfather is third from the right with "dad" on his sleeve. He told me they took a couple of pictures with the workers and a couple of pictures of the "big shots" that day...enjoy:thumbsup:
Wow !
You must be really proud everytime you see that picture ?

·
Banned
7,823 Posts

:surprised ALL HAIL WALLEY!

·
Premium Member
17,444 Posts
:agree: :thumbsup:
hmmmmm, it would be nice if a 150 horsepower, inline 6 cylinder Blue Flame grows up to celebrate 60th birthday and show off it's age by becoming a 666 horsepower :surprised Blue Devil :devil:
just sayin........That's how I would celebrate 60 years. If, I make it that far.

Getting to 60 is easy, after that them doctors start finding all kinds of thing to take your money for. They think if your over 60 they have to find some thing wrong with you...:rolling::rolling::rolling:

·
Registered
6,220 Posts
Even if they only put a six cylinder in it, if they built the 1953 again, I'd buy one in a heartbeat. What a beautiful Corvette!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts