Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The guys over at VetteMod have a nice thread on the Jeep Grand Cherokee steering box modification - it's a fun read.

I'm going to be ordering a set of adapters be made, and I was wondering if there is any interest in a group order.

At the bottom of this post are a couple of pictures that show how the modification works.

BBShark has even created a dxf file that can be used by a fabrication shop to create the adapters necessary for this mod. I sent the DXF file to a place by me that does waterjet fabrication (www.sanmarcoswaterjet.com) - and here's what I got back.

Qty 1 set – 2 steering adapter plates, from 1/2" thick mild steel, with (4) .500” holes and (3) 7/16-20 tapped holes

$91.92 set – material, cutting, and tapping
I don't know how competitive that price is, but it doesn't seem unreasonable. I then asked if some of that was setup, and what it might be for a multiple set order - I then got this.

Yes, part of that is setup. If you ordered 5 sets, I could get the price closer to $50.00 / set (not including tax).
If it looks like others will join, I will wait and put in my order on Feb 14th.

Here is a machined Jeep box, with the adpaters/bolts/spacers required.
Notice there is some machining work required on the jeep box. But not much, and should be ~$75.

·
Premium Member
10,260 Posts
some guys like the Jeep box over the rack & pinion setup. It simplifies the power steering setup because you get rid of the ram and control valve. All the power assist happens in the box itself. That said, it's a monster compared to the stock box.

I looked at doing this conversion 3 or 4 years ago and bought a low miles Jeep box at that time. It's still sitting in a box on the shelf if anyone is interested. Primed and ready for paint. PM me if you might want it.

·
Registered
2,948 Posts
Pros seems to be easy steering, departure from complicated stock steering, and a faster ratio...meaning less turns lock to lock.

That being said, I have driven two C3 Corvettes with the Jeep box installed. I felt them to be too easy. No resistance or road feel. I certainly didn't like it.

I also had bought a used box and prepped it for the mod. After driving the other cars though I changed my mind and sold the box.

My stock steering was in very good shape and I much prefer it to the Jeep box and even a couple racks I have driven. I think when it comes down to it, I would suggest someone rebuild their stock box, and tighten up the stock system, rather than a rack or a Jeep box.

Just my opinion though. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Pros seems to be easy steering, departure from complicated stock steering, and a faster ratio...meaning less turns lock to lock.

That being said, I have driven two C3 Corvettes with the Jeep box installed. I felt them to be too easy. No resistance or road feel. I certainly didn't like it.

I also had bought a used box and prepped it for the mod. After driving the other cars though I changed my mind and sold the box.

My stock steering was in very good shape and I much prefer it to the Jeep box and even a couple racks I have driven. I think when it comes down to it, I would suggest someone rebuild their stock box, and tighten up the stock system, rather than a rack or a Jeep box.

Just my opinion though. :thumbsup:
I've read others that have made that same comment, about the steering being too easy. But I've also read lots of people talking about how it was the greatest thing since sliced bread.

I am worried that I might not like it, but my stock steering is
in need of a complete rebuild - I can't drive the car on the highway anymore, so I need to do something.

The jeep box 'kits', I'd be looking at having to spend around $900. If instead of using a 'kit', I can use an old jeep box, and put it together for half that much.

Then, if I don't like it, I can send out my stock box, spend the $400 to have it completely rebuilt - and I'm still only out the $900 I would have spent only on the kit.

So, basically, I'm saying the reason I'm going this route, is because I've heard the same thing about the 'easyness' of the steering, and don't want to pay full 'kit price' on something I might not like.

·
Registered
2,948 Posts
Not a bad way to approach it but I would still suggest finding someone that has done the mod and driving their car.

I think the reason people tend to like it is because their stock steering is worn out to the point where it plain sucks to drive, and we're used to much newer and more modern steering systems that remove a lot of the touch and feel from driving. It's just what people are used to.

·
Registered
93 Posts
The guys over at VetteMod have a nice thread on the Jeep Grand Cherokee steering box modification - it's a fun read.
This thread is already getting a bit older, but could you advice the title of the tread at VetteMod you are referring too?
I searched quite a bit, but have not been able to trace that thread.
Thanks

·
Registered
552 Posts
I find this quite amusing as the grand cherokee forums tend to think that box is a POS and prone to failure. The one in my grand cherokee is way overboosted for any kind of performance car.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts