Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How bad/hard was it to make the swap from an auto to a 6 speed?

I don't plan on selling my '93 because I love it so much and have toyed with the idea of making it a 6 speed. Nothing like slamming gears and have a little more control of a Vette then you can get in a A4.

I figured you would be the guy to talk to since you've done it already. Any and all input is welcome.

·
El Teafive
10,489 Posts
BubbleHead said:
How bad/hard was it to make the swap from an auto to a 6 speed?

I don't plan on selling my '93 because I love it so much and have toyed with the idea of making it a 6 speed. Nothing like slamming gears and have a little more control of a Vette then you can get in a A4.

I figured you would be the guy to talk to since you've done it already. Any and all input is welcome.
LOL.. now you are starting to sound like me!!!

Well, it is not as hard as people make it out to be. When I swapped the 6spd in mine, found that the holes for the Master Cylinder are pre-marked, which made life easier. Getting the Clutch pedal mounted is the toughest.

Here is what you will need
-Trans
-Bell Housing (there was one on ebay for $50)
-Clutch and flywheel
-Master and slave cylinders
-Clutch Pedal and hardware
-6 speed area of tunnel cutout of a wreck
-ZF drive shaft Yoke (different then auto)
-Console plate
- Few wiring changes to dash harness

I think that is all, You can reuse you Dana 36 and such, but I recommend a D44 with 3.45 gears

·
Registered
3,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Jeff. It's still a little ways off, but your info and experience have pretty much made it a definate project, just have to figure out when I can afford to do it.

I raced an Audi the other day on 94 and luckily beat him. With the 3500 stall converter, I'm hitting the rev limiter at 117 mph. :mad:

I think the 6 speed is the way to go for me. Just more control over everything... plus I've always liked banging gears when I had a chance to drive a manual.

·
Registered
3,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
-=Jeff=- said:
I have Tunercat and the 93 TDF when you are ready to change that Rev limiter...
I don't think that will help much with the converter I have now. I sold the supercharger and purchased the 3500 stall with the charger in mind.

How much more can I spin my stock motor without worrying about the bottom end or valve float?

·
Registered
38 Posts
jeff do you know where i can get my 93 prom flashed to eliminate egr codes? or even reduce the sensitivity of the knock sensors slightly? thanxx. Intalling a solid roller motor very soon with a DFi to tune it, but the egr is emiminated via blockoff plate and i believe it will trigger the trouble codes.. any help is appreciated.... sorry about budding into your post :)

·
El Teafive
10,489 Posts
Nasty C4 said:
jeff do you know where i can get my 93 prom flashed to eliminate egr codes? or even reduce the sensitivity of the knock sensors slightly? thanxx. Intalling a solid roller motor very soon with a DFi to tune it, but the egr is emiminated via blockoff plate and i believe it will trigger the trouble codes.. any help is appreciated.... sorry about budding into your post :)
Nasty, I am a bit confused.. you want a PROm for your 93 that eliminates EGR, but yet you also mention you will have DFI. If you are getting a DFI system then you don't need the PROM redone.

Also fo the Knock sensor, the only way I know to lessen the sensitivity of the knock sensor (for 93) is to wrap some teflon Tape on it before installing it.

·
Registered
3,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Jeff, can you give me a ball park figure as to the cost of the 6 speed swap?

If my tranny heads south, I'm not gonna waste the money on rebuilding it so I can swap it out a year later. I think I'm gonna start collecting parts for the swap, just curious about the kind of budget I will need.

·
El Teafive
10,489 Posts
BubbleHead said:
Jeff, can you give me a ball park figure as to the cost of the 6 speed swap?

If my tranny heads south, I'm not gonna waste the money on rebuilding it so I can swap it out a year later. I think I'm gonna start collecting parts for the swap, just curious about the kind of budget I will need.
$3000-$3500 complete

If you are serious, thereis a guy on CF selling a 6spd tunnel section for $100 Snag if it is still avail, even if it will be 2 years before you do the swap.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts