Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone ever used Jett Hot coating and how was your experience with them? Specifically the sterling silver coating?

·
Registered
16,300 Posts
I used Jett Hot on my headers butI used black. It helped reduce heat and is still intact after 4+ years.

:cheers:

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
i havent used them but i have also never read anything bad about them, only positive reviews :thumbsup:

·
Registered
91 Posts
I have the Sterling on my Hooker Super Comps. They are less than 1 year old so not a lot of miles on them yet. They look great and it definitely helps with heat issues. I would use them again.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I thought I had a photo of them with the completed engine in the car but can't find one that shows much of the headers. Anyway here they are in the stand and from below. The color blend with the other polished parts is pretty close.

·
Registered
91 Posts
The only thing wrong with your very nice set up is that did not make a pass under crossmember
Nice speed goat in your avitar.

I couldn't see a reason to do that. It's fully removeable in about 10 minutes by using a combination of butt and flange clamps and it's 3" mandrel bent stainless all the back. It also doesn't touch the crossmember at any time including under torque load.

·
Registered
328 Posts
I have the sterling on the Hooker Super Comps on my Camaro. I got them done on the brand new headers in 2002. Within a few months had to pull them out (a real PITA in a fourth gen) and have them recoated. The coating still did not last and I just said screw it. They don't look so hot now and there is some surface rust near the collectors.

Their technique may have gotten better since then, but I can't say.

Edit - added pic -

Here is what they look like now. You can see the dullness now and the surface rust below the steering knuckle.

·
Registered
350 Posts
i had the silver done on my SW headers for my 94. Look great 3 years later. Very happy

·
Registered
102 Posts
All I can say is get stainless; I have the sterling on my 75 and after about 2yrs they started to rust from the inside out. For some reason the passenger side is worse then the driver’s. I called Jet Hot and they said I could ship them back to them and for only a couple hundred more dollars + shipping they will recoat them. And my 75 is garaged and I don’t drive it in the rain.

·
Registered
3 Posts
After 1 summer and only a couple hundred miles mine started to flake. They offered to recoat if I paid shipping both ways. By then I had lost faith and replaced with the stainless Hookers. I have friends who have had luck with Jet Hot, I wasn't so lucky.:down:

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
Sterling Jet-Hot:

·
Registered
218 Posts
I had a set of hooker super comps i bought from jethot, but after Katrina the coating has taken a serious dump. They are rusted and stained. I have them just sitting on a shelf until i figure out if I want to get them recoated. While they were new they looked great though.

·
Registered
300 Posts
I live not to far from one of there plants. I stopped by a few months ago to take a look at some of there products. They are pretty nice looking. I also, found another coater in NC that does a really fantastic job. If you look at my engine photo's they did my intake manifold. Good local company, with really nice people. They do some work with nascar, and harley davidson.

If you would like there info I can look it up.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Id be interested to know who did yours. You mentioned nascar so Im assuming somewhere near Charlotte which would be close enough for me. Id like to have my long tubes done before putting them on my c10.

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
I've had Jet Hot Hooker sidemounts headers and pipes since the end of 2002. I'm on the same set and they still look good except where I've done something dumb (run something into them, etc.). If I polish them, they really shine, not chrome or SS, but still nice.

If you are installing the coated headers on a new engine that hasn't been started yet, you might wait and get the engine going and the timiing and mixture set. Too hot exhaust gas temperatures will dull out the finish immediately and permanently.

I haven't seen the black Jet Hot. Is it glossy?

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
If you are installing the coated headers on a new engine that hasn't been started yet, you might wait and get the engine going and the timiing and mixture set. Too hot exhaust gas temperatures will dull out the finish immediately and permanently.

Absolutly- the heat of a new engine will kill the finish!

I haven't seen the black Jet Hot. Is it glossy?
KWPLOT has the black ones on his Vette. I've seen them- not glossy like the paint on the door, but not dead flat either. Drop him a PM and see if he's got pictures.:buhbye:

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
This photo is from June of 2010. 8 year old coating.

Click on "My Corvette Photos" to see a larger version.

Thanks, Tim. Next KWPLOT post, I'll check out his pics.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts