Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
19,914 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
(CNN) -- The king of Jordan dismissed his government Tuesday and appointed a new prime minister with orders to implement political reform.

The dismissal follows several protests calling for change in Jordan -- protests that echo demonstrations that have swept across North Africa and the Middle East in the last few weeks.

King Abdullah II asked Marouf Al Bakhit to form a government in Jordan that will implement "genuine political reform," the Royal Court said in a statement.

The government will "take practical steps, quick and concrete, to launch a process of genuine political reform" and "comprehensive development," according to a letter from the king to Al Bakhit. It also will act to strengthen democracy, the letter said.

Jordan has been deprived of "achievement opportunities" due to some leaders' resistance to change, the king wrote, and because they had sometimes put their own interests ahead of those of the public.

The king asked Al Bakhit and the new government "to conduct a thorough evaluation process" and review laws regarding political affairs and civil freedoms to "address the mistakes of the past" and develop "a clear action plan that takes the march of reform forward."

King Abdullah II also called on the new government to strengthen the institutional infrastructure and combat corruption, and prosecute those found to be involved in corruption.

The development in Jordan follows protests that forced the president of Tunisia from power and unrest that has convulsed Egypt for days. Demonstrators also have called for change in Algeria, Sudan and Yemen. Protest organizers have called for a demonstration this week in Syria.

In Jordan, police estimated that several thousand people gathered in capital Friday to demand more significant economic and political reforms. Protesters including Islamists, leftists and union members marched in downtown Amman, and there were protests in six other cities as well, authorities said.

It was the third Friday in a row for the protests. Demonstrators gathered in front of the Al Husseini Mosque to decry government policies they blamed for rising prices, low wages and unemployment.

There were also calls for former Prime Minister Samir Rifai, who took office in December 2009, to step down, and for the dissolution of parliament.

The Islamic Action Front, the political arm of the Jordanian branch of the Muslim Brotherhood, is also asking for an "elected government." Currently, the king appoints the prime minister and the Cabinet.

The Jordanian government in recent weeks announced several measures aimed at easing citizens' economic hardships, including reducing taxes on fuel derivatives and subsidizing some basic commodities. A pay raise of 20 Jordanian dinars a month (US$28) was given to civil servants, military personnel and retirees. But protesters Friday said the measures do not go far enough.

Those in Amman on Friday also showed their solidarity with others in the Arab world, most notably Egypt, where protesters have recently taken to the streets to demand certain freedoms and urge the ouster of their leaders and governments.

·
Registered
12,410 Posts
Looks like our State Department and it's progressive policies of propping up 'frenemies' in order to maintain stability is being done in by the very internet they want control over.

·
Registered
25,253 Posts
All of these Middle East and African protests are being led by the Muslim Brotherhood which desires for all of these countries to become Iranian style theocracies. They are copying the Iranian revolution model where middle class secular young people are stirred up and supported to be the faced of the revolution because it is more acceptable to the world. Then when the old guard is thrown out, Muslim Brotherhood strongmen step in and use intimidation and force to take control. Mark my words - Fundamentalists will ultimately be in control in Egypt, or there will be civil war to prevent it.
The King of Jordan made this move specifically to get out in front of the Muslim Brotherhood and prevent step one of their plan - the use of students to force government overthrow. I saw a Jordanian official on the news explaining this on the morning news.
FYI the Muslim Brotherhood is the parent organization of Hezbolah in Lebanon and Hamas in Palestine. Real peace lovers.

·
Premium Member
2,106 Posts
All of these Middle East and African protests are being led by the Muslim Brotherhood which desires for all of these countries to become Iranian style theocracies. They are copying the Iranian revolution model where middle class secular young people are stirred up and supported to be the faced of the revolution because it is more acceptable to the world. Then when the old guard is thrown out, Muslim Brotherhood strongmen step in and use intimidation and force to take control. Mark my words - Fundamentalists will ultimately be in control in Egypt, or there will be civil war to prevent it.
The King of Jordan made this move specifically to get out in front of the Muslim Brotherhood and prevent step one of their plan - the use of students to force government overthrow. I saw a Jordanian official on the news explaining this on the morning news.
FYI the Muslim Brotherhood is the parent organization of Hezbolah in Lebanon and Hamas in Palestine. Real peace lovers.
:agree:
Holy crap Tex! didn't know you were up to date on the middle east. nice to see someone who takes a look at reality in here!
The biggest fear of DoS is that the governments do fall in an uncontrolled manner.. Because like you said, the only governing capability will be from the internal Muslims leaders just like Iran.

And if that happens the next domino will be Israel. It will be hard pressed to keep it alive with Muslim Theocracies not friendly to USA surrounding it. And while they are our ally-- defending a smal chunk of land surrround on three sides by large enemies and the fourth by water is not a fight I want a part of..

·
Grey Squirrel
22,780 Posts
Holy ****, in the Egypt thread I said the Muslim Brotherhood would fill the power vaccuum left when Mubarak steps down. I also said Jordan and Yemen were next....... I hate being right all the time. :laughing:

·
Registered
25,253 Posts
Holy crap Tex! didn't know you were up to date on the middle east. nice to see someone who takes a look at reality in here!
The biggest fear of DoS is that the governments do fall in an uncontrolled manner.. Because like you said, the only governing capability will be from the internal Muslims leaders just like Iran.

And if that happens the next domino will be Israel. It will be hard pressed to keep it alive with Muslim Theocracies not friendly to USA surrounding it. And while they are our ally-- defending a smal chunk of land surrround on three sides by large enemies and the fourth by water is not a fight I want a part of..
I agree. There doesn't seem to be much we can do to influence any of this. It is a well laid out and executed plan by the Muslim Brotherhood. What amazes me is the leftist op-ed world praising these students for bravely demonstrating in the name of liberty when they are simply puppets being used to dupe the world and do the dirty work while the sharks wait offshore for the carcasses. I can't believe these writers are that stupid. It can only mean they are sympathetic to the Islamists.

·
Premium Member
2,106 Posts
I agree. There doesn't seem to be much we can do to influence any of this. It is a well laid out and executed plan by the Muslim Brotherhood. What amazes me is the leftist op-ed world praising these students for bravely demonstrating in the name of liberty when they are simply puppets being used to dupe the world and do the dirty work while the sharks wait offshore for the carcasses. I can't believe these writers are that stupid. It can only mean they are sympathetic to the Islamists.
or that they have a very naive view that democracy will come out of this with little cost. unfortuntaly never in any recorded history has democracy come without a huge toll in life and treasure...

·
Registered
12,410 Posts

And the Muslim brotherhood isn't using the social networks to incite those 'useful idiots' to revolt against what our state dept set up as puppets to provide stability for our interests?

If you think those people hate us because we are free, your nuts. They hate us because of the regimes we have put in power and supported, going back to the Shah.

If those government sfail there will be a Calliphate...and Israel will be toast, but do you think it wil stop there? Italy, Spain, the UK...they alll have significant Islamic populations, and they won't sit still either....especially if the West makes a move to defend Israel...

·
Registered
25,253 Posts
or that they have a very naive view that democracy will come out of this with little cost. unfortuntaly never in any recorded history has democracy come without a huge toll in life and treasure...
You got that right. When you look at the American Revolution, it wasn't fought by the under 25 crowd. It was fought by virtually everyone, and it was fought for freedom from tyranny. In the middle East, it's young men fighting at the bidding of middle aged men, and they don't fight for freedom, they fight to win power over others. These guys are not revolutionaries, they are thugs and terrorists.

·
Registered
25,253 Posts
And the Muslim brotherhood isn't using the social networks to incite those 'useful idiots' to revolt against what our state dept set up as puppets to provide stability for our interests?

If you think those people hate us because we are free, your nuts. They hate us because of the regimes we have put in power and supported, going back to the Shah.
We didn't put Mubarak in power. There is a difference in installing a puppet and supporting a regime because it is in our national interest. All strong countries have to decide how to best secure their strategic advantage, and supporting less-than-desirable regimes is part of the dirty work of international politics. It is unavoidable.

·
Registered
12,410 Posts
We didn't put Mubarak in power. There is a difference in installing a puppet and supporting a regime because it is in our national interest. All strong countries have to decide how to best secure their strategic advantage, and supporting less-than-desirable regimes is part of the dirty work of international politics. It is unavoidable.
No we didn't, Zawhiri did the dirty deed for us, but we kept him in power once he got there. We paid him a $1.5 billion a year stipend to leave Israel alone, along with sweetheart deals for his military. This guy we didn't put in power, but he raimained there for 30 years because we wanted him there, and the Egyptian people know it.

·
Premium Member
2,106 Posts

If those government sfail there will be a Calliphate...and Israel will be toast, but do you think it wil stop there? Italy, Spain, the UK...they alll have significant Islamic populations, and they won't sit still either....especially if the West makes a move to defend Israel...

Defending the sovereignty or Israel will be tough- In historical terms it's a very new country.
If the takeovers move into the European theatre we'll intervene.. maybe this is the start of WW3 AKA the end????

·
Registered
12,410 Posts
Defending the sovereignty or Israel will be tough- In historical terms it's a very new country.
:agree: I think Israel is capable of taking care of itself, at least in the short term. If thier sovereignty is threatened they won't do a US and go limited, they'll go all out...interesting that Armageddon is in Israel...
If the takeovers move into the European theatre we'll intervene.. maybe this is the start of WW3 AKA the end????
It won't happen from the outside, but rather from within. It's already started in those Euro countries...

As far as the end...too soon to tell, at least for me. Could the Tunisian incident be the ArchDuke Ferdinand moment here?

I think if the US sustains any damage it will be more economic than militarily. I don't think any ME countries with nuke caps have missles with enough range to reach us. However Argentina has Iranian mid range missle that could get a few hundred miles inland from the Gulf coast if that happened...and Chavez has already had the missle bases built, and what were those Soviet ships doing parked in the Gulf of the Argentinian coast some months back doing there?

·
Registered
25,253 Posts
No we didn't, Zawhiri did the dirty deed for us, but we kept him in power once he got there. We paid him a $1.5 billion a year stipend to leave Israel alone, along with sweetheart deals for his military. This guy we didn't put in power, but he raimained there for 30 years because we wanted him there, and the Egyptian people know it.
Like I said, sometimes you have to deal with the devil. You say Mubarak was our puppet. I say we supported a leader who could help us. Same result - relative stability in that corner of the world for 30 years. The lack of stability headed that way will probably cost us a lot more than $1.5B a year.

·
Registered
12,410 Posts
Like I said, sometimes you have to deal with the devil. You say Mubarak was our puppet. I say we supported a leader who could help us. Same result - relative stability in that corner of the world for 30 years. The lack of stability headed that way will probably cost us a lot more than $1.5B a year.
I should have put a comma after 'put in power'. Some we put in power, some that were in power we supported, some we put in power, then supported.

'Relative stability' from who's perspective? How about all those brutallized, tortured, killed by these guys? Most of those dead people had brothers, sisters, mothers, fathers, sons, and daughters like the rest of us. Those people saw thier lives destroyed or held in check because of these guys and others like him in an effort to stay in power, and saw the US supporting THEM (the guys). They don't only see the US as an enabler of these injustices, but as a perp and the puppetmaster. If you want to get someone to hate you kill thier son or daughter without impunity.

Stability has always been the primary concern of the State department. Not sound foreign policy. We've gotten away with it for a long time. Things are changing and we won't have the luxury of prevailing ignorance with the internet everywhere any longer. There may be a heavy price to be paid for the treachery we've put in place and have supported in the name of stability for all this time.

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
I say we send Jimmy Carter over there and have him talk some "Peace". :D

·
Registered
12,410 Posts
I say we send Jimmy Carter over there and have him talk some "Peace". :D
Well, both the guys he worked with are dead...

He's so old they'll probably cut off his head thinking he's one of those mummies from the museum that escaped. :laughing:

Then again, that would solve at least one problem we have...
And according to Richard Dreyfus, that's not necessarily discourse. ;)

·
Registered
25,253 Posts
I should have put a comma after 'put in power'. Some we put in power, some that were in power we supported, some we put in power, then supported.

'Relative stability' from who's perspective? How about all those brutallized, tortured, killed by these guys? Most of those dead people had brothers, sisters, mothers, fathers, sons, and daughters like the rest of us. Those people saw thier lives destroyed or held in check because of these guys and others like him in an effort to stay in power, and saw the US supporting THEM (the guys). They don't only see the US as an enabler of these injustices, but as a perp and the puppetmaster. If you want to get someone to hate you kill thier son or daughter without impunity.

Stability has always been the primary concern of the State department. Not sound foreign policy. We've gotten away with it for a long time. Things are changing and we won't have the luxury of prevailing ignorance with the internet everywhere any longer. There may be a heavy price to be paid for the treachery we've put in place and have supported in the name of stability for all this time.
Dang, treachery? That we put in place? You're assuming Egypt would have been some kind of paradise except for our intervention. In fact, the history of this part of the world would show that regional stability usually is the result of some strongman leadership. We didn't make this happen, and whether we were involved or not, it's very unlikely democracy would have spontaneously happened. I'm kind of surprised to see you wanting to make us the bad guys here. We aren't squeaky clean, but we are bit players.

·
Banned
12,109 Posts

1 - 20 of 27 Posts