Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hit a slick spot going like 15-20 coming out of a lot and jumped a median.. cracked my panel under the passenger door, the front passenger quarter panel is unattached at the underside bolt and I slightly bent up the bottom of the front fender. Seems like it’s pulling hard right like the passenger rear wheel is bent inward slightly. Didn’t see any leaks thankfully. I just bought this vette and couldn’t be more upset.. sick to my stomach. I wasn’t doing anything crazy, pulled out of a lot hit like 15 maybe 20, and it just got out from under me. I dropped it off at a local chevy dealer immediately. Any tips, advice, uplifting comments etc would be more than appreciated as this is the worst day I’ve had in so, so long. I’m thankful nobody was hurt but my pride and my beautiful car. I likely won’t hear back for 3-4 days. Going to be miserable in the meantime. I’m sure this won’t be a cheap fix but I guess I deserve it

Attachments

·
DC PIT CREW BOSS
43,321 Posts
Welcome to DC. That really sucks. I hope the damage is minor. Let us know what the dealer says

·
Premium Member
511 Posts
Welcome to DC sorry to here about your mishap. It’s just body panels and pride both can be repaired with time. The main thing no one was hurt. These cars are all torque and it doesn’t take much for them to hurt your pride ask me how I know sometime. Stay in touch and all the best to you.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Welcome to DC. That really sucks. I hope the damage is minor. Let us know what the dealer says
Welcome
Very sorry to hear about your accident. It doesn't look too bad. You have full coverage insurance on it, correct?

Good luck. I hope everything works out.
Welcome to DC sorry to here about your mishap. It’s just body panels and pride both can be repaired with time. The main thing no one was hurt. These cars are all torque and it doesn’t take much for them to hurt your pride ask me how I know sometime. Stay in touch and all the best to you.
thank you all very much for your kind words.
so I took it to the Corvette shop in my city. The guy made me feel a lot better. After I get the adjuster to process my claim and I get an estimate, he said I can come back and we will go from there. He said he has seen much worse and it can definitely be back to normal. He said no way there is frame damage but definitely bent some thing in my rear suspension. He said this is easy Work for him and can definitely handle it. This definitely eased my mind somewhat.

Also, tires are from 2014. I cant believe I missed that when purchasing it. I feel so stupid. I hope he can get everything situated. He said he will do everything including new tires. Insurance is covering thankfully but it still won’t be cheap.

·
Super Moderator
8,599 Posts
EVERYONE MAKES MISTAKES!, unfortunately thats how most of us learn!
if you can fix it or have someone fix it for money, its sure not something you need to sweat over, my dad used to say, if you screw up, step back mentally and ask yourself ..."will this still effect me in a years time?"
if not its just a P.I.T.A. in normal life, and you'll get over it, its not like you backed over some 18 month old toddler in the supermarket parking lot, you could not see! or managed to short out the electric wiring and burned the car to the ground!
on the plus side you should get the car up on a lift, inspect it and get to examine how the car suspension works and maybe get to watch how the repairs are made!
BTW always buy a complete factory shop manual for any corvette as its a very valuable asset!
(not the cliff not version HAYNES sells)

reminds me of the first corvette I owned, a 1959,I let the wife to be, drive while I was at work,, she asked me if it mattered if the vette was "leaking black stuff" she had backed over a parking lot curb, and ripped a tiny hole in the oil pan...lucky she mentioned it, as I caught it at only two-2,5 quarts low, if she had ignored it, or failed to mention her screw up, I would have lost the engine if she kept driving it, as it was I just replaced the oil pan that week end.
I still bring up that OOPS, with her driving skills 55 years later

·
DC PIT CREW BOSS
43,321 Posts
Hi K-dask welcome to DC

Reactions: Lspowah

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I think that the damage that happened to your car is not bad... you can repair it without any trouble and its engine is a beast, do not let its power lead you good luck
Thank you very much guys! They looked at it today in length, couldn’t get it on a lift yet but the body shop manager at Austin Corvette went over the car with me. He said he can handle it no problem and he has seen much much worse. The guy seems like a real good dude. He’s been working on vettes for over 50 years and and at this shop specifically for 22 I believe. That is comforting. He also pointed out stuff I didn’t even know it was there. He said no way there’s frame damage unless he’s missing something that he could only see on a lift but the car is tough and there’s no way. He said he’ll have it back straight no problem. Only thing is he is backed up and probably won’t be able to start for roughly a month. It really sucks I’ll have to see it in my driveway in this condition for at least a few weeks, but I’d rather the job be done correctly and efficiently than quickly and cheap. I guess the front bumper is more of an issue than I thought. It was really straight before the median but he was saying that it seems strange it did what it did due to what happened as it is now crooked and there is no folding upwards of it.. it definitely wasn’t like this before the accident.

On a less thrilling note, he pointed out that the car had been painted by somebody and they didn’t do a very good job. I’m a basic dude and I never realized it when I bought it. There’s overspray and some rough spots he pointed out. It sucks but I’m the type of guy that would rather get it straight and not bs’d. Given that, I know that paint jobs are easily $12,000 probably more for quality. How do you guys feel about a quality wrap? The guy at the shop said no way he would ever do it, but especially after all this, there’s absolutely no way I could afford a paint job. And now I can’t unsee the shitty paint. I’m open to all opinions and suggestions and genuinely appreciate all of the encouragement and help I’ve gotten from you guys so far.

·
Premium Member
511 Posts
Man I looked and can’t find it. Will keep my eyes peeled. The guy bought a corvette and immediately wrapped it. It looked good in the pictures. Wrap is good for about five years if not garaged as long as ten if garaged.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Man I looked and can’t find it. Will keep my eyes peeled. The guy bought a corvette and immediately wrapped it. It looked good in the pictures. Wrap is good for about five years if not garaged as long as ten if garaged.
No worries man. I appreciate you looking. There is a reputable spot near me that does good work on cars that are 10 times more expensive than mine so maybe I’ll go that route when I get some more money saved up. They quoted me at about $3900. I don’t have a garage but I’m going to be putting up a portable one that it will fit comfortably in. They said it should last a good seven years. I would prefer paint but that’s just an insane amount of money right now for me as I’m guessing after insurance and everything this will be another 2-3 out of my pocket for her to get back in real good shape

·
Premium Member
511 Posts
$3900 sounds reasonable have heard as high as 5k get a price on what cost to remove it. If I were to buy a new car would have the front bumper and hood done in clear. Just as protective measure. It’s UV resistance and some is even self healing. Oh and it’s lighter than paint.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
$3900 sounds reasonable have heard as high as 5k get a price on what cost to remove it. If I were to buy a new car would have the front bumper and hood done in clear. Just as protective measure. It’s UV resistance and some is even self healing. Oh and it’s lighter than paint.
With the marks and issues on my paint, would a wrap cover that efficiently? I’ve never done one before

1 - 20 of 27 Posts