Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Premium Member
30,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ha! That would be the blind leading the blind! :laughing:

So here's the deal. I was rolling around in the Vette, chasing the honeys when my steering started to stiffing up. I immediately jumped out of the car and checked my power steering fluid level. That sucker was bone dry. So I limped the car to Auto Zone and filled the reservoir back to the correct level. I took off and saw this hottie who looked like she needed a ride. I scooped her up and about a mile later, the steering went stiff again. I dropped that honey off and took off back to a gas station. Upon checking the level again, I saw that it was bone dry, AGAIN!

So I put some more fluid in and raced home. Obviously I had a bad leak since it wasn't staying in the car more than a mile. Once I got the car inside the garage, this was what I saw. The three streams happened because I backed into the garage, pulled out and backed in again. This picture was taken a few days later.

After seeing that, I realized how bad the leak was. I did a quick check of the easy to get to hoses just in case the leak was a simple fix. No dice, so I turn off the lights and go in the house. I didn't bother to check under the car for the leak right then because I knew that I would have a good little puddle on the floor in the morning. Sure enough, after checking the next morning, I saw that I had fluid dripping off the bottom of the high pressure hose and landing dead center of that big puddle on the garage floor. That didn't tell me if it was the hose or the pump but it did limit me to assuming that it was one or the other.

So into the house I go to start ordering parts. I started ordering parts because I had just replaced the power steering pump and high pressure hose about 4 months ago. Everything was under warranty and I knew that one of those parts was going to be the culprit. Since it wasn't going to cost me anything, I decided to replace both just to be on the safe side. After all, I didn't think that I would be able to definitively locate the problem. How wrong I was!

I started taking everything apart. Didn't even need the service manual this time (it's scary that I learned so much from that head gasket job). One thing that I thought to do was to check and see if the hose was loose. It didn't appear to be loose so I took the pump and hose off the car. That's where the surprise happened.

As I went to remove the high pressure hose from the steering gear, I noticed that it was loose! I then checked the other end and realized that it was loose too! So now I'm thinking, all I have to do is tighten everything back up and cancel my orders. However, being as thorough as I am, I decided to take everything apart and give it a good eyeballing. It's a good thing that I did. Check this out.

The high pressure hose has a O-ring on both ends. The instructions are very specific that you install these O-rings. As small as the are, it's kinds hard to fathom that they do much but let m tell you, they do a ton. Check out my cable:

That little O-ring was missing from where the leak originated. When I checked the pump, this is what I found.

That little O-ring had disintegrated, probably from the hose being loose. How it got loose I have no clue. The hose doesn't move so I guess it loosened with the vibration of the car. I know that sucker won't get loose this time because I will ensure that it is torqued correctly. I just need to find a box end torque wrench. Is there such a animal?

The key here is that had I been lazy and just tightened up that hose, I would have still been leaking major fluid after putting everything back together. That would have sucked! The hose is in such an awkward location that taking it apart from the pump was almost out of the question. Now a O-ring probably would have fixed my problem but hell, why chance it? Taking that power steering pulley off the pump is enough of a reason for me to replace everything. That pulley is a bitch to get on and off, but at least I didn't destroy mine like I have seen quite a few people do.

So that's what's going on in the Junkman's garage... other than the usual going on's. :D

I promise not to make this another 8 month repair! :laughing:

·
Registered
842 Posts
you can add a crowfoot end to the torque wrench I think but there is some sort of correction factor for proper torque & why in the hell dont you pick up one of them honeys thats a mechanic?:laughing::laughing: I can see it now Junkman spotted cruising local technecial schools:thumbsup:

·
Registered
3,442 Posts
......and the saga continues :surprised

1. Get that car back together.
2. Put those legs, W:surprisedW in the copilots seat and....
3. .....bring them up to the Mid-Ohio Corral and cheer on the Corvette Racing Team August 3rd & 4th.
4. Bring some Adams :thumbsup:
5. We will compare leaky pictures :laughing: ...no maggots, I promise :rolling:

·
Registered
76 Posts
Hey Junkman, you probley know this but I'll offer it up anyway. When you put that new O-ring back in use an O-ring lube. Best lube I have found and always use is Syl-Glide. Should be able to get it at any good parts store. It comes in a squeeze tube and it's like a grease. I have tried many other lubes and nothing will work except o-ring lubes.

·
Premium Member
30,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the advice. The instructions say to use clean power steering fluid but hey, I'll try something new. :thumbsup:

·
Sir Dude
17,444 Posts
you can add a crowfoot end to the torque wrench I think but there is some sort of correction factor for proper torque & why in the hell dont you pick up one of them honeys thats a mechanic?:laughing::laughing: I can see it now Junkman spotted cruising local technecial schools:thumbsup:
Why do you think I'm enrolled at the local technecial school.:D

·
DC Crew
32,973 Posts
Save yourself some hassle and order a C6 pulley. They have holes in them and you can pull the pump with the pulley on. Then taking the pulley off on the bench makes life easier.

·
Premium Member
30,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Save yourself some hassle and order a C6 pulley. They have holes in them and you can pull the pump with the pulley on. Then taking the pulley off on the bench makes life easier.
Great idea! Two issues though. I already entertained this idea when I first replaced the power steering pump. One of the power steering mounting bolts lines up with the edge of the pulley. So even if you had a pulley with holes in it, you still would not be able to remove that bolt. Not only would the pulley be in the way, the bolt goes through the pump and into the cylinder head so it's a long bolt.

Second, the pulley on the C6 is smaller than the one on the C5. That means that you are going to be turning the power steering pump faster than it was originally designed. That also means that you are working the pump harder, which results in faster wear. You will also need to get a smaller belt. Basically, you're re-engineering the system at that point in order to save a little time and headache, which in the entire scheme of things is not worth it in my opinion. I mean, power steering pumps don't bite the dust often enough for me to consider re-engineering the system in that manner. But like I said, good idea. :thumbsup:

·
DC Crew
32,973 Posts
Great idea! Two issues though. I already entertained this idea when I first replaced the power steering pump. One of the power steering mounting bolts lines up with the edge of the pulley. So even if you had a pulley with holes in it, you still would not be able to remove that bolt. Not only would the pulley be in the way, the bolt goes through the pump and into the cylinder head so it's a long bolt.

Second, the pulley on the C6 is smaller than the one on the C5. That means that you are going to be turning the power steering pump faster than it was originally designed. That also means that you are working the pump harder, which results in faster wear. You will also need to get a smaller belt. Basically, you're re-engineering the system at that point in order to save a little time and headache, which in the entire scheme of things is not worth it in my opinion. I mean, power steering pumps don't bite the dust often enough for me to consider re-engineering the system in that manner. But like I said, good idea. :thumbsup:

I'm running one on my car with no issues. I've pulled the pump a number of times when I was mocking everything up with no problems at all.

·
Premium Member
30,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Using a stock C5 belt and stock C6 pulley on a C5? Or are you doing this with aftermarket stuff on a C4?

1 - 20 of 38 Posts