Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,
I'm new here (just registered), I don't own any Vettes, but I'm crazy about 'em!
The famous MakoShark II, the Manta Ray, Indy, CERVIII, Colani Corvette, and lately the Moray are my favourites. They were far ahead of their times!!!! From the production cars I personally think that the C4 was the best in design and style.
I wonder why wouldn't the GM create a car that is in the league (or beyond) of the Murcielago, Merc SLR and so on. I understand that the XLR and the C6 are brothers, but why not Cien/C6? If you know what I mean. Isn't it time to finally grab the CROWN???
Not like the 400 horses weren't enough, but in my view that would be for a XLR/Camaro relationship, while the Corvette C6 could make a huge step and place its nameplate where it belongs, right on to the cutting edge of the World Sportscar leading technology.
Here's how I imagine things: back then about when the Mantaray was made, the Pontiac showed a concept called the Banshee which was some kind of Corvette in a way. Then things went on their course and GM kept producing the Corvette and below that segment the Camaro/Firebird twins. Then in the early nineties the Pontiac showed again a concept called Banshee, and nothing happened. But meanwhile the GM also showed two over-the-top saucer-like super concepts (Indy and CERVIII), that carried on the Corvette names and gave the a world a peek of what GM was capable of that time around. Yes. It was way over anything and anybody was able to dream about. And the Banshee was Pontiacs version of superhitech.
GM should've made that step long ago, lifting the Camaro/Firebird onto Corvette level, and Corvette one step higher on the same time.
Now Caddy just showed up with the Cien.... well.... doesn't it ring a bell?... I mean shouldn't it? Or should we wait for another Banshee?

·
Premium Member
53,226 Posts
Welcome to the site!

Thinking from GM's perspective, the company exists solely based on the almighty dollar that the consumer spends on cars.

No doubt there have been some fantastic concept cars.... but let's talk about the Cien for a minute.

The Cien is not ever going to make it. Although it is a "wow cool" car... it would fail miserably just like the Plymouth Prowler, Mercury Marauder, and the new Ford Thunderbird.... and many more like them. And, you can soon add to that list the Caddy XLR and the Chevy SSR pickup.

Why would it fail? Sales numbers of an "exotic" looking car like the Cien would not justify the production of the car. (But, car makers will always continue to take "wow" concept cars from time to time and turn them into production cars with lowsy sales.)

All that said, I think GM is doing smart things with the Corvette. They are designing cars with a timeless look. You know the "law of diminishing returns" states that something you are NUTS about today will not be so exciting shortly thereafter. I think the Corvette seems to defy this rule. Because, all Corvettes look cool, and an old Corvette is just as cool as a new one. And, people never seem to get bored of looking at them. Couple this with a wonderfully balanced car (acceleration, braking, handling, gas mileage, comfort and reasonable affordability) and this is why the success is there.

I think the Moray and the Cien are COOOOL!!! But, I'd never buy one. Know what I mean?

:thumbsup:

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for welcoming me here:)

I think I get your point, and you are absolutely right!!!
But, since we talk about expensive cars not justifying the production, why is that Mercedes for example is looking to create a supersportscar by all means (SLR). Then there are Lamborghinis with a 600 horsepower and a 500. Or the Porsche Carrera GT - I know these are not so profitable, but sometimes passion has to takeover, right?!
From these bunch the Murcielago nd especially the Gallardo is a "mass production" car and we shouldn't forget, that Mercedes besides the SLR (over 600 bhp) has the SL (okay Caddy XLR) and the SLK ( Chrysler Crossfire and GM-?) (at least a Solstice or something would be good )
Why do you think the XLR wouldn't sell better? My point of view is very simple actually, if Caddy did the Evoq, maybe things would stay a little better. I don't know the XLRs sales figures and I'm not talking about all the things the Evog "knew". Strictly design. The XLR does not look like something that is a Jag, and Aston Martin, an SC or an SL fighter, while the Evoq is looking not like it is competitor, but an already winner!!!
That's why I'm worried a little for the C6...No matter how good will it look like, there will be MINOR things which would make it look a LOT better. I think you know what I'm saying.
And YES all the Vettes (especially the older ones) are like WOOOW!
I personally think that the C5 is a little too .... I don't know ( don't wanna hurt anyones feelings) may I say RX7?

When the Viper came along then there was the C4 as its rival. The C4 had something (don't ask me what) that still could face a RT10 for expl (not being afraid of loosing)- while the C5 looks for me like an american sportscar against japanese sportscars. Maybe it's just me, but I don't see the raw power on it like on the C3 or C4 for example.
And talking of Vipers, even the new one looks like a Viper (flat, wide, and 500ponies) Why do I have the feeling that the Vette will look less agressive?

And getting back to the Cien...will GM finally create something to dominate the luxury-supersportscar business? It's the biggest company of the world, and doesn't have anything in that segment. The VAG has the Lambos, the Bugatti (1001horses) even the Audi will have something based on Gallardo and worth of 500 bhp so far called RSR. The FIAT has the Ferraris, the Ford has the Aston and a GT40. I am not saying that the Vette should be that necessarily, but Pontiac is sleeping (after they killed the Fiero, they rather import Opel Omega coupes from down under and badge it as a GTO - no comment) Cadillac - I don't know - they having the AMGs market nieche (the v series) (can't wait for the XLR-V to come up) and Chevrolet....well there is a huge question mark... Lets see : after they gave up upon the Camaro they make the SSR. Why the (exscuse my english) hell for????? It's okay to create something worth a pickup and a sportscar (my old dream) but nobody ever said it had to go in that direction!
And now the SS...not to replace the Camaro I hope!
I don't wanna talk too much so I finish it with the C6

Whatever it will be like - Make it better!
Thank You

·
DC Pit Crew
11,957 Posts
chevy doesn't want to elevate the corvette to compete in price with lamborghini or mercedes, they want to be the working mans sports car and that is exactly what it is....sure its priced high but if you work for it the goal is acheivable....they are very close in preformance with the supercars from lamborghini, porsche, and ferrari...except for top speed...(until the newest round of exotics came out this year) i expect that the C6 will be on slightly slower than this round of super-exotics that has just came out

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.