Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just recently recieved my complete poly bushing kit and I have a few questions about removal and installation of the upper and lower control arms and springs

Do I need to compress the springs for removal and what all should I watch for when I remove my upper and lower control arms.

I'm also wanting a spring that will raise my car up about an inch right now I am around 3 inches from the ground at the bottom of the front license plate (the bottom area of the front bumber cover) this gives my 82 terrible ground clearance and I keep scraping the bottom of it when I enter and exit some parking lots) what would be a good spring choice I'm unsure of whats in there right now but the front sits scary low right now

also is there any thing else I should be aware of as I do this, Im planning on doing the entire front and rear suspension when I under take this (all bushings, tie rod ends ball joints ect)

thanks in advance guys:cheers:

·
Registered
267 Posts
Funny-I'm starting the same project on my 78 tomorrow morning. Where did you get your kit? I was debating on poly because of the noises that they supposedly make. I ended up buying everything at Rock Auto for about $400, all Moog.

I've been reading up a lot on this in the past month and I've read that you need to compress the spring and make sure you chain it to the arm so that it doesn't fly out at you. I'm going to see if I can rent one at autozone. I've also read that you should lube the poly bushings before assembly to avoid squeaking. Not sure if this is true or not.

Have fun-post some picks-I'll do the same.

·
Registered
411 Posts
i have recently done all of this stuff to my 75, i figured i would include some pictures for you guys. if you have any questions, i can help you out..

for the removal of the front coil spring, put a jack up onto the bottom of the lower control arm, and then chain the spring to the frame. This will cause the spring to not dangerously shoot out at you once the spring is uncompressed.

Then leave the two spindle nuts on the ball joints slightly on. and you can start to lower the jack down, lowering the lower control arm and relieving tension from the spring. When i removed my spindle, it was very stubborn to come off. i would suggest soaking it is wd-40 or another penetrating oil before you remove it. you might also have to get your BFH out.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Funny-I'm starting the same project on my 78 tomorrow morning. Where did you get your kit? I was debating on poly because of the noises that they supposedly make. I ended up buying everything at Rock Auto for about $400, all Moog.

I've been reading up a lot on this in the past month and I've read that you need to compress the spring and make sure you chain it to the arm so that it doesn't fly out at you. I'm going to see if I can rent one at autozone. I've also read that you should lube the poly bushings before assembly to avoid squeaking. Not sure if this is true or not.

Have fun-post some picks-I'll do the same.
Ebay:thumbsup:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/63-8...ptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

·
Premium Member
10,260 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
I bought all my Poly Bushings and Motor Mounts + ARP motor mount bolts + Bilstein Sport shocks all from Summit Racing!

I ended up not installing the Poly transmission mount out of my black Energy Suspension total kit. The stock one was in good shape, plus the poly one is the incorrect model for my car.

I've used Poly Bushings both by Prothane and Energy with absolutely no problems! I love the responsive feel and I have absolutely no squeaks. Easy to install. I've used poly on even my Jeep and I've driven that thing through some harsh salty conditions and the grease I used is still all there! No squeaks!

I did end up buying an extra container of the Poly Bushing lube. Its about $15 for the container, but well worth it. I bought it through Summit as well.
Yes, I love Summit, hahahaha.$11 for shipping and no sales tax FTW!

I've replaced a lot of stock rubber bushings with Poly and/or Heim joints with great success, never regretting the switch over.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Thanks! The write-ups are great. I plan on starting mine tomorrow. I took the week off so hopefully I can at least get everything apart tomorrow. I plan on powder coating the arms.
I post pics as I go.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts