Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I have searched and I did not find any information on what I was specifically looking for. My question is what it would sound like if I put a xpipe on my stock exhaust system? Would it sound extremely raspy and like crap? Thank you all for your help.

·
DC Crew
53,221 Posts
The stock exhaust is quiet... to hide the fact that it sounds like crap if it were any louder.

I put an x-pipe on the stock exhaust of the DC Z ('02 Z06) and I couldn't believe my ears... there was actually a difference!

It was an ARK x-pipe (they are all pretty much the same) and the exhaust sound smoothed out amazingly and all the other exhaust sound "weirdness" was gone (jingles and rattles).

The exhaust sounded marginally louder (don't buy it for volume increase) but the exhaust sounded way cooler.... stronger, smoother. Even though the car won't be much louder, you will hear the difference when you first start it.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you very much. It looks like I will be ordering one soon. Is there any thing to look for when picking one? Or should I just buy the cheapest one i can get?

·
Registered
151 Posts
Will I notice any more power?
X-Pipes are good for reducing the popping or gurggling on deceleration.

As for power you might get 5 hp which you'd never notice. Anything less than 15-20 hp you wont even feel.

·
Registered
196 Posts
From what I've seen there is at least 10hp to be seen on the dyno with the x-pipe. Unfortunately I personally haven't dyno'd so I have no real data for you. Sorry!

Isn't the function of an "X" pipe the same as that of an "H" pipe, in that all they do is equalize the exhaust pulses from the individual cylinder banks?

And really, all that this "equalization" does, is prevent that annoying "blatting sound" at WOT and the chintzy gurgling sound at idle?

In the "old days" this was accomplished with a simple "crossover pipe" up by the tranny....but nowadays, space restrictions cause it to be placed well 'downstream' from that ideallic location. However, the effect is still pretty much the same....reduction in exhaust pulses, and not much else.

For what it's worth, I had the factory arrangement replaced with an "X" pipe and can't say I heard, or felt any kind of difference in the overall sound of the exhaust. I think it's more the "power of suggestion" taking over for those who claim to hear a difference between an "H" pipe and an "X" pipe.

No offence intended.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Does it not take the place of the catylitic converters? There for makeing the over all exhaust flow better and less restricitve? Making small hp gains and some sound difference?

·
Registered
454 Posts
Removing your stock cats for a tiny bit of power doesn't make much sense. The sensors on your exhaust system will throw codes for sure. Most places will not cut them out and let you run without them (depending on where you live).

If you want more flow, install headers and hi-flow cats together as a complete system, (Dynatech, LG's, etc.):thumbsup:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I think I am going to wait until May, "my birthday." And then buy the borla straight pipes, and an x pipe. Hopefuly this will give me the sound that I am looking for and shouldnt break the bank. Will I get any noticable power out of this combination?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts