Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, well I blew my tranny all over the 202 in arizona. Wasn't to fun at all, scary is more like it. I was giving it a good run coming down the on ramp and kept into it on the straight away. No cars are on the freeway at 2 in the morning over here, so it wasnt too dangerous. Well I started getting a weird vibration going into 3rd, which was about 85 to 90 miles per hour. So I tried to play it safe and throw it into nuetral (700r4). Then all of the sudden, my RPMS went through the roof, it freaked me out, so I went to put it back into drive so I could then go into over drive. A loud bang occurred and my front end dropped hard going 90. The car broke sideways and jerked me around for a bit. I recovered well, but the car wasn't doing so well. It limped me home thank god. When I got it into the garage, smoke was everywhere. I blew the front seal and got tranny fluid on the exhaust and even on the valve covers. The next morning I dropped the pan and found a lot of metal. The tranny had a good run, I'll never forget it:laughing:. Well my question is, do you think I should take the time and throw a 4 speed doug nash in it, Or build up a nice 700r? All advice is appreciated. Thanks. :partyon:

·
DC Crew
2,988 Posts
Hey guys, well I blew my tranny all over the 202 in arizona. Wasn't to fun at all, scary is more like it. I was giving it a good run coming down the on ramp and kept into it on the straight away. No cars are on the freeway at 2 in the morning over here, so it wasnt too dangerous. Well I started getting a weird vibration going into 3rd, which was about 85 to 90 miles per hour. So I tried to play it safe and throw it into nuetral (700r4). Then all of the sudden, my RPMS went through the roof, it freaked me out, so I went to put it back into drive so I could then go into over drive. A loud bang occurred and my front end dropped hard going 90. The car broke sideways and jerked me around for a bit. I recovered well, but the car wasn't doing so well. It limped me home thank god. When I got it into the garage, smoke was everywhere. I blew the front seal and got tranny fluid on the exhaust and even on the valve covers. The next morning I dropped the pan and found a lot of metal. The tranny had a good run, I'll never forget it:laughing:. Well my question is, do you think I should take the time and throw a 4 speed doug nash in it, Or build up a nice 700r? All advice is appreciated. Thanks. :partyon:

A bulletproof 700R4 would be my choice, fantastic trans.:thumbsup:

·
DC Crew
32,977 Posts
Swapping to a manual isn't a cost effective thing to do right now if your signature line is true. Your looking at at least 3 grand to do that. You can get a strong 700R4 built for about $1,200 and if you swap it yourself you won't have any labor charges.
I have pondered this very swap and have decided to stay auto.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Automatic it is then. Yeah, the swap in general would just be too much for me to afford right now. Now another question, would getting a higher stall converter be worth it? Cuz I was thinking of a higher stall, nothing crazy. I was thinking like an 1800 or 2200 stall. Would this be impractical if I like to take it to work and school? Thanks again.

·
DC Crew
32,977 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Awesome threads....very informative. Thanks again. I know exactly what I want to do now. :partyon:

·
Registered
440 Posts
tranny problems

Remember to flush the oil cooler before putting in a new transmission.All of the transmission fluid that goes to the cooler (radiator) returns and becomes lube oil.If the new trans is put in the car with out cleaning the cooler all of the cutting now go right into the lube circuit of the new trans.OUCH!!! I would reccommend a good inline cooler filter also.There have been alot of updates to the 700 r4 since 1985.If you need more info message me. good luck !

1 - 7 of 7 Posts