Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
6,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought 2 sets of Wheel spacers for my C3.
They are aluminium 1.5" Hub centric spacers...

Should be about a week till they arrive...
I bought em, so i could offset the wheels to fill the wheel wells a bit.

Paid $129.99 free shipping from ebay.

I wanted to get 2" spacers, but I think 1.5 is ok.
What do you guys think... it won't make the wheels stick out too far would it ?

here's a pic of my car, from some months ago...
I think it will look just right once I put them in.....
http://www.eslurf.com/mycorvettes/1970/images/IMG_0190.jpg

·
DC Pit Crew Boss
4,165 Posts
Maybe it's just me, but I wouldn't trust wheel spacers from eBay. I would feel alot safer if i bought them from Summit or similar...

·
Registered
822 Posts
i don't know that pic you posted looks like the wheels are already close to the edge, Its just my opinion but I don't like it when wheels stick out beyond the body. Maybe some pics when you have them on will change my mind.

·
Premium Member
10,260 Posts
If you're running the stock rally's I don't see the need for spacers. Certainly not 1.5" spacers. You'll be rubbing the fender lip on the tire any time you go over a bump.

·
Banned
6,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If you're running the stock rally's I don't see the need for spacers. Certainly not 1.5" spacers. You'll be rubbing the fender lip on the tire any time you go over a bump.
But, I haven't lowered the car. I was thinking, once I have the spacers in (if I like them), then I will lower it an inch and have anti-sway bars installed to reduce play and body roll..

·
Banned
6,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i don't know that pic you posted looks like the wheels are already close to the edge, Its just my opinion but I don't like it when wheels stick out beyond the body. Maybe some pics when you have them on will change my mind.
I don't like it either when wheels are too far out of the fenders, which is why. I will install them and then check to see.. If they don't look nice, I will remove them.. :D

But my wheels could do with about an inch out I think.. let's see.. I will post before/afterpics when I install them, so you guys can decide and tell me as well..

·
Banned
6,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
just my 2c worth but In my opinion wheel spacers are dangerous, they put a lot of stress on the wheel studs.
I've heard varying reports from both sides on this issue... thing is, I only cruise in my C3, never speed or track run it.. I don't think it should be a problem, which is why I got hub centric and not lug centric spacers.

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
Personally, If I was asked. I would say there is no way that is going to work especially if you lower it. You will be surprised how far that spacer is going to shove that tire out. A little bit goes a long way when your back there. If you somehow do use them I would be pulling a wheel and spacer every 1000 miles or so to check the studs for rubbing/wear.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Just bought 2 sets of Wheel spacers for my C3.
They are aluminium 1.5" Hub centric spacers...

Should be about a week till they arrive...
I bought em, so i could offset the wheels to fill the wheel wells a bit.

Paid $129.99 free shipping from ebay.

I wanted to get 2" spacers, but I think 1.5 is ok.
What do you guys think... it won't make the wheels stick out too far would it ?

here's a pic of my car, from some months ago...
I think it will look just right once I put them in.....
http://www.eslurf.com/mycorvettes/1970/images/IMG_0190.jpg
What brand of the wheel spacers, How are they different from BONOSS and H&R?

·
Premium Member
219 Posts
Just my opinion, but I just trust wheel spacers. Be careful. Remember that a spacer changes the geometry of the suspension unless you carefully select wheels with enough positive offset to "cancel" the spacer. Otherwise, you can possibly create some nasty handling surprises. You might want to check member "Blueday" on this forum, he's got a pretty tough looking setup on his C3. Do lots of looking and asking. If something looks cheap run away. FWIW I finally decided to go with what I know on my 81 C3. These are Weld RT-S wheels, 18x8, -8mm offset, 4.2" backspace, P/N 71MB8080B42A. I went with 18" because of tire selection. The tires are Michelin Pilot Sport 4S in 255/45 x 18. The tire diameter and contact patch are only very slightly larger than the OEM 255/60 x 15. The car is still on my lift in this photo, I'll be dealing with ride height shortly. I spent a good deal of my youth fighting tire clearance/handling issues so I decided to stay a bit on the conservative side! But it isn't easy these days, there are very few modern wheels made with the RWD offsets that were common 40 years ago, so I sympathize with those searching for wheels! Good luck, let us know what you come up with!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts