Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, just a couple quick questions. I just bought a 86 vette, the guy I bought it from had bought a new 350 short block. he then had it bored .30 over, new cam and pistons and rockers, and he put on a set of aluminum edelbrock SMALL port heads. My question is, with these parts, do you guys think the PROM or computer need to be upgraded, he said he didnt do anything to the PROM or computer. The car is pretty fast, he said the car had about 400 horsepower. I cant really get it to a dyno to find that out, but it is fast.

·
Registered
3,027 Posts
1st, congrats and welcome to the Vette family! :buhbye:

Second, a few pulls on the dyno could help you figure out if you need custom program. Make sure they have the exhaust gas analyzer so they can tell if you are running lean or rich.

-=Jeff=- will probably stop in, he's far more knowledgable on custom tuning them I am.

·
Extra Crispy
5,119 Posts
Welcome:excited:

·
DC Crew
53,220 Posts
Yep. Get it in for some dyno tuning. I'm sure there is some freebie horsepower still in there. Jeff can jump in about that.

Welcome to digitalcorvettes. Is this your first Vette?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
first vette

ya, its my first vette, and i love it. It is black on black. I love the car already and i have only owned it for a week. Cant wait to get it on the dyno then and see what kind of Horses its pushing. thanks for all your help.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Welcome ,I'm a newbe myself. Posted a few threads,these are stand up guys . Very helpful. Any drivability issues with your new heads? I'm thinking of changing the heads on my 85. A dyno tune will definately help your car. Go to one that has wideband O2 capabilities. That way you can find what your air/fuel ratio is through the entire rpm range. The stock computer is constantly searching for 14:7.:buhbye:

·
Premium Member
11,627 Posts
Welcome to the forum, and good luck with the new ride. :)

·
El Teafive
10,489 Posts
Do you know which heads he used?
Also do you have the cam specs?
What is the compression?

Those will help know if you need a better tune.

The MAF System is forgiving to a degree so you may or may not need a custom PROM

Finally

WELCOME to DC!!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts