Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is the 2nd time in a month that this has happened... just driving under normal conditions, eng temp 202, oil 187, and all of a sudden it just stopped... was able to pull over, turned ign off, turned to ON - put in Neutral and cranked her about the 4-5 crank she started just fine and ran as normal... Note: No mods, stock L98/87vette coupe. Going out to get a code reader today to check diag codes , maybe that will shed some lite, but Help would be appreciated... thanks

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Addl Information

Just checked code and it came back with #51 (Faulty or Incorrect PROM in the ECM... Change PROM with correct version)...

·
El Teafive
10,489 Posts
Is Code 51 the only code?? (other then 12)

If so, you will want to replace the MEMCAL for 87

GM PN 16070312 for the 4+3 trans and a 3.07 rear gear
GM PN 16070733 for the Auto trans and a 3.07 rear gear
GM PN 16070729 for the Auto trans and a 2.59 rear gear

The other thing you can check before buying a PROM is to be sure that it is secure in the ECM.

I found the best place to purchase the MEMCAL is gmpartsdirect.com

·
DC Crew
53,221 Posts
-=Jeff=- said:
Is Code 51 the only code?? (other then 12)

If so, you will want to replace the MEMCAL for 87

GM PN 16070312 for the 4+3 trans and a 3.07 rear gear
GM PN 16070733 for the Auto trans and a 3.07 rear gear
GM PN 16070729 for the Auto trans and a 2.59 rear gear

The other thing you can check before buying a PROM is to be sure that it is secure in the ECM.

I found the best place to purchase the MEMCAL is gmpartsdirect.com
Thanks, Jeff. :cheers:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Only Code

Jeff:, thanks a bunch... yes the only code was 51
12 12 12 51 51 51 12 12 12 (display sequence)

? Is there somewhere on the diff to tell what gear you have?

and maybe just reseating the PROM will help... not hard to do since i have the cover off already... yes, pass side under carpet panel... is the location for the 87's.

thanks all for the support. vinnie

·
El Teafive
10,489 Posts
Re: Only Code

vinnies87 said:

and maybe just reseating the PROM will help... not hard to do since i have the cover off already... yes, pass side under carpet panel... is the location for the 87's.

Quickest way is the RPo on the Console lid. G44 is the 3.07 and GM1 is the 2.59

·
Registered
509 Posts
Interesting... I had a GM once that would intermittently die like that.. I suspected the prom chip was not seated.. because if you tapped lightly on the ECM case the car would die. and I tried reseating the prom and that did not change the way it was acting.. I found that there was a bad soldier joint on the ECM's board, purchased re-man ECM reinstalled prom chip in the re-man ecm and solved the problem.. now I am not saying that the PROM chip is not the problem.. it very well could be... I am just sharing a similar customer complaint and diagnosis...

ECM's have been know to have bad soldier joints.. something I learned about at a seminar put on by a ECM/PCM reman company...
-Rick

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Re: Only Code

vinnies87 said:

Jeff: check RPo listing and its a 2.59 rear gear, Auto trans.. Reseated connections and EPROM... seeing about just getting a re-man ECM and new PROM.... Rick noted that there have been cases of bad solder joints and that was one of his fixes... so checking it out... thanks again vinnie

1 - 8 of 8 Posts