Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, the lease on my 745 is up and I'm turning it in Wednesday. I need a car with 4 seats to haul the little ones to school every now and then. I went to a local Pontiac dealer that had two 2006 GTOs. One was a used 6 speed with 10K miles. The other was a brand new unsold A4. I gotta tell ya. The A4 car felt significantly quicker SOTP. I was surprised. Now, I also test drove a used 2006 Magnum SRT8. Man oh man. That car was on fire. It actually "felt" quicker than my C6 A4. Now, I know that it isn't quicker, but the throttle response on that car was razor crisp. It also wound up to redline freely like a freight train. Awesome car for being a wagon. I like the looks of the GTO but the performance of the SRT8 was spectacular.

In all reality, the GTO will peobably be the way I go because I think that the deal will most likely be better. Also, it has 0% percent financing so I don't have to write a big check. For the experts, what would you offer for the new leftover 06 GTO? It has every option, including the 18" wheels.

·
Grey Squirrel
22,780 Posts
For the experts, what would you offer for the new leftover 06 GTO? It has every option, including the 18" wheels.

I'd offer him a suggestion, "Go sell Mopars" :smack

Try the Charger SRT8, it's not as big as the Magnum. Hell you might talk me into selling you mine :D

By the way, I think a fully optioned GTO was stickered in the $35,000 range. I'd go no more than $26,000 on a left over new one.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Both cars would get the job done...

But - Personally, I'd get the GTO - just so I could add a LS2 to the stable.:partyon:

...ALSO - Sounds like you can get the GTO for a great price...BONUS!!

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, it does sound like it could potentially be a great deal. i was cruising the GTO forums and found a few posts of some guys that recently did the same thing. They got leftover 06 GTOs. One guy said he paid $29K out the door (Tax, tag, title). That's not bad. With 0% financing, that's a monthly payment of less that $500. You could literally just sign and drive without worrying about any money down. The 0% is essentially free money.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Yeah, it does sound like it could potentially be a great deal. i was cruising the GTO forums and found a few posts of some guys that recently did the same thing. They got leftover 06 GTOs. One guy said he paid $29K out the door (Tax, tag, title). That's not bad. With 0% financing, that's a monthly payment of less that $500. You could literally just sign and drive without worrying about any money down. The 0% is essentially free money.
Do it!

Then post some pics.:partyon:

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
I love the look of the Magnums...there's so much that can be done to them...blank canvas. If only I had the money...maybe I'll try to talk the wife into one. ;)

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I actually went back to the dealer over lunch to drive the used 6 spd again. This time i drove it alone without the salesman. This really gave me a chance to get on it a bit. It definitely packs a punch. I really liked the A4 car also but it was black, and i have a problem with that. It would take a lot to get me to buy a black car. The other dillema is that the black car is the new car. The red 6 spd is used with 10k miles on it. Too....many.....decisions................head........starting..........to..........hurt.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
I actually went back to the dealer over lunch to drive the used 6 spd again. This time i drove it alone without the salesman. This really gave me a chance to get on it a bit. It definitely packs a punch. I really liked the A4 car also but it was black, and i have a problem with that. It would take a lot to get me to buy a black car. The other dillema is that the black car is the new car. The red 6 spd is used with 10k miles on it. Too....many.....decisions................head........starting..........to..........hurt.
If you go used...

Try Private Party sales. You may find a better car\deal and KNOW the history of the car.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah. This car is actually spotless and appears to have been well maintained. You never know for sure, but that is what the remainder of the warranty is for. The car still has 2 years/ 26K miles left so hopefully if any issues popped up, they would be within that window. Now, the new car has the benefit of having the full 3 year/ 36K miles, but IT IS BLACK. It actually is a sharp car. I don't have a problem with the way black looks. I have a problem with how it maintains. My wife had a black SUV and that thing was constantly dirty. Also, every little ding might as well have had a neon arrow pointing to it.

·
DC crew
4,102 Posts
This is my opinion of the GTO. An over sized Cavalier with a big motor. The SRT-8 Magnum is a monster. That car will catch you off guard the first time you drive it. Your first impression is a slow station wagon, WRONG! That Hemi is a champ and so are those Brembos. Out of the two, I would pick the Magnum and then change that idea over to the SRT-8 Charger. That car is just SICK! I would also consider a CTS-V, that car kicks ass too.

Jr.

·
Registered
18 Posts
This is my opinion of the GTO. An over sized Cavalier with a big motor. The SRT-8 Magnum is a monster. That car will catch you off guard the first time you drive it. Your first impression is a slow station wagon, WRONG! That Hemi is a champ and so are those Brembos. Out of the two, I would pick the Magnum and then change that idea over to the SRT-8 Charger. That car is just SICK! I would also consider a CTS-V, that car kicks ass too.

Jr.
I agree on the Magnum, Its based off the last series Mercedes E-class including the 5 link suspension. Its a great platform with a chassis that can handle more power than it already has, too bad the interior is still sub par.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I hear ya. The only issue is that the SRT8 cars are a little bit pricier than these leftover 06 GTOs. Even the used SRT8 cars are $35K+. Performnace-wise, the GTO and Magnum are on par. For the money, the GTO is hard to beat. Also, I disagree with you on the oversized Cavalier notion. The GTO is a nice solid car with excellent fit and finish. I will tell you flat out that the interior components of the GTO are head and shoulders above my C6. The seats/ leather in the GTO are significantly nicer than in my Vette, IMO. I wish that my C6 had the leather that the GTO has. The leather in my C6 looks like Mother Theresa's browline, in terms of the wear/ cracks.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I hear ya. The only issue is that the SRT8 cars are a little bit pricier than these leftover 06 GTOs. Even the used SRT8 cars are $35K+. Performnace-wise, the GTO and Magnum are on par. For the money, the GTO is hard to beat. Also, I disagree with you on the oversized Cavalier notion. The GTO is a nice solid car with excellent fit and finish. I will tell you flat out that the interior components of the GTO are head and shoulders above my C6. The seats/ leather in the GTO are significantly nicer than in my Vette, IMO. I wish that my C6 had the leather that the GTO has. The leather in my C6 looks like Mother Theresa's browline, in terms of the wear/ cracks.
The GTO and the H3 have some of GM's nicest interiors.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I agree. I was sitting in the Goat the other day thinking to myself "Why can't my C6, which is GM's flagship sportscar, have these seats?" Also, looking around the cabin of the Goat reveals some cool styling cues. The red stitching on all of the leather panels/ wraps; the leather covered middle cargo bin door; the velour panels on the doors; the stylish color cued gauge faces. The interior is pretty nice. The only thing that I didn't care for was the sloppiness of the 6 speed shifter. Feels like it came out of GM's school bus line parts bin.

·
Registered
646 Posts
i just bought a 2006 gto with 17 miles on it...it had the sport pakage and everything...paid 24,900

·
Registered
143 Posts
I don't like the exterior of the GTO too much, but I do like the interior very well for what it is. If I were you, I would be checking out the Charger SRT-8 over the Magnum.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts