Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gutted a K&N utilized some of the old mesh to encapsulate the lightweight very breathable foam, put it all back together in my Vararam, I didn't expect any big difference, boy was I surprised but dyno says BIG GAIN, I will be going to dyno to confirm gains, but as of now I'm very PLEASED! THROTTLE RESPONSE mid-range, top end everything increased dramatically (My K&N was dirty BTW, but never felt this powerfull even when brand new) foam filters rock!!

·
Registered
565 Posts
Where did you get the foam? Is it oiled, like the Air Hog or just foam? And does it sound different? Inquiring minds...:thumbsup:

·
Registered
3,584 Posts
Pics please:huh:

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sorry no pix guys..

For those that have the Vararam know what a pain in the ass it is to remove/clean filters on this unit, I'll do my best to describe what I did:

Vara comes w/what looks to be a K&N filter, I cut out all the filmsy mesh screen incasing the filter w/razor knife, disected it noticing how restrictive it really is even when clean, it has multi pleats of a gauze type fabric? tore it all out retained a small section of the pleated screen to incase my foam filter (basically a non oiled dark grey industrial type packaging foam (very soft)about 3/4" thick, I cut it to fit the the thick K&N rubber frame left-over from disection.

Then re-wrapped the foam w/left over mesh screen from K&N, it basically pressure fit very nicely/tightly as if stock, just not a 1,000 pleats of thick guaze, I know this filter is not going to be as good at keeping very fine dust out as K&N but I plan on cleaning it more often, also the MAF has an additional screen catching any particals thet may escape.

It had no noticable sound change but from just hoping to get the engine to breath a bit better & not expecting any noticable SOTP perf, the change was quite dramatic especially throttle response! Some may say it's stupid/dangerous but I researched the other foam type filters on the market which cost $100's of dollars and look nearly idential to what I fabbed up, I figure what the hell anything goes wrong I'll just toss in my spare K&N & take it to the dealer, BTW NO check engine lights or drivability issues what so ever just a superior breathing engine!

As I said the car is going in for dyno (same dyno I used when she was stock) to confirm/deny these initial findings..

·
Registered
3,584 Posts
If it works for you thats what counts:thumbsup:

·
Registered
565 Posts
Just one thing, having worked with foams in industry, make sure it doesn't dry out too quickly. If so, pieces can flake off and that is bad juju for the engine! :spanked: Same when some cycle from wet to dry--speeds up the drying out process--although real wetness shouldn't be a problem. If you have some left, this sounds silly but will work, bake it in the oven at 300 degrees for about 10-15 minutes. See if it's still pliable when you take it out. In any event, keep an eye on it if it's not made for this application. Better to be safe than sorry. :thud:

·
DC Crew
2,988 Posts
On my C5Z, the construction of the Vararam sucked, the top didn't come close to matching the bottom piece where the filter sat. I applied double sided tape with velcro on the bottom side of the filter to secure it down 100%, I highly recommend this. As for the foam filters, and this has been hotly debated in the past, they have a tendency to come apart in little pieces, sticking to the MAF, those that don't move along to the throttle body, ect. Now I do agree the foam flows better, just keep a eye on it.:thumbsup:

btw, I'm suprised someone hasn't tried pantyhose yet!:rolling:

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
No **** that was my 1st thought!! duble stack stretching of

On my C5Z, the construction of the Vararam sucked, the top didn't come close to matching the bottom piece where the filter sat. I applied double sided tape with velcro on the bottom side of the filter to secure it down 100%, I highly recommend this. As for the foam filters, and this has been hotly debated in the past, they have a tendency to come apart in little pieces, sticking to the MAF, those that don't move along to the throttle body, ect. Now I do agree the foam flows better, just keep a eye on it.:thumbsup:

btw, I'm suprised someone hasn't tried pantyhose yet!:rolling:
My ladies hose!

I did some more research and there appears to be a plethora of oilable universal foam filters for sale that are dirt cheap I'll be switching to that soon!

Also on the Vara coming apart at mating intersection a freakin' joke my remedy, was not pretty but highly effective I fit it together properly then secured w/liberal amounts of duct tape! You can't see it unless you stick ur head into the radiator lol...It doesn't come apart and makes a fantastic non'leaking seal! As for the foam falling apart? that's what/why I used the K&N pleat screen to cover both sides of the foam it has an extremely fine weave like your screen door but 1,000 times finer and plyable.

I know this = more power & speed as guys commonly run at the 1/4 track w/out any filters for the extra kick! then throw'em back in after track day!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts