Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Right off the bat I'd like to comment on the awesomeness that is Onstar. I haven't seen a lot of posts around here on it so I don't know if all this is new on the 2008 Vette. I don't usually like a car to get too "Gizmo'd out" but Onstar does it in a way that is separate from the driving experience. I gave them my email address and signed the car up for online diag updates. So I get this really well designed web page/email that shows the car mileage, status for all the systems and the percentage of oil life remaining. It looks absolutely fabulous, and if you've not seen it I will post a screen shot here.

Whoever does marketing at GM is utterly missing the "nerd" segment with their Onstar ads. You can show Tiger Woods all day long but the tech geeks just aren't going to be impressed. Show them the nerd toys. They'll start buying cars...

I could go on and on about the speakerphone (your new Vette comes with its own phone number) and the prepaid minutes that don't expire for a year, but somebody will cold cock me any minute now if I don't STFU about it already. So, yeah I think its safe to say I dig the Onstar stuff... And yes, this all comes with the 1LT package.

Now the criticism of it. For some completely bizarre reason I believe the Onstar system generates RFI that "jams" GPS systems in close proximity, like mounted to the windshield or in the passengers lap. I verified this with two separate Garmin units that would completely lose satellite signal in open sky. GM, please investigate. Thanks!

So, after a bit of exploring San Francisco I took it on this route:
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&hl=...8,-122.557383&spn=0.031707,0.086517&z=14&om=1

There is some guy with a blue C5-z06 that parks it right on 1 for all to see as they blast by. Any of you guys? :) So, its no tail of the dragon but its a really nice way to test out the Z51 setup. Absolutely fabulous. I left it in third gear and just threaded the needle. Utterly exhilarating, until somebody does something stupid. I'm coming towards a T in the road and Malibu Barbie decides its more fun to talk on the phone than it is to do that whole "driving" thing, and just pulls right in front of me. Maximum brake pedal mash. The laws of physics were completely suspended for that moment as the mass of the car was halted faster than I could comprehend. Car crash averted. Wow. Is there anything this car cant do?

Determined to find some fatal flaw in the car I went back into the city of SF to hit the most insanely steep street I could. Filbert street. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Filbert_Street_(San_Francisco) I don't have a pic, but it pretty much looks like you could Evel Knievel it right up to Jesus. I crossed the intersection and pulled up to the street slowly, I knew the front end was going to scrape, but it didn't sound too devastating so I kept moving. Once the car fully tilts up you are laying back in your seat thinking, WTF do these people do when its raining? The full effect of the steepness starts to sink in, but the Vette doesn't give a crap, it just keeps going straight up like its being propelled by Godzilla. When I got to the top I was so awestruck I proclaimed "you sexy bitch!". Except I said it really loud. And my window was open. And I was in San Francisco. And there were San Francisco men standing around...

Once again my Vette came to my rescue. With an extremely judicious use of acceleration I propelled myself away from an awkward and potentially career ending (if your a senator) situation....

I'm amazed by this beast so far. I was thinking of all the stuff I was going to do it, but now that I've actually experienced it for a while may end up only changing out the seats. Everything about it just seems so right....

·
Registered
16,300 Posts
Nice write up:thumbsup:

·
Registered
3,584 Posts
Good write up:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Cool. I'd like to see that screen shot you talked about. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
477 Posts
Damn good creative writing!!!

Thanx for sharing, you write incredibly well! verrrryyy funny too!:rolling: :thumbsup: :cheers:

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
Well said!

I'm amazed by this beast so far. I was thinking of all the stuff I was going to do it, but now that I've actually experienced it for a while may end up only changing out the seats. Everything about it just seems so right....

Not even wheels, tires and ............zaino?:devil: :devil:

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well said!

Not even wheels, tires and ............zaino?:devil: :devil:
I shouldn't say I like the wheels because then they'll be changed to an additional charge option. In my opinion they are the best stock wheels I have ever seen.

Oh and the tires will get replaced with non-runflat when the time comes...

·
Registered
5,115 Posts
So......as much as I am totally P.O.'d that Onstar is being stuffed down my throat, You're saying I might even like it?? Hmmmm.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So......as much as I am totally P.O.'d that Onstar is being stuffed down my throat, You're saying I might even like it?? Hmmmm.
I'm saying that it does some cool things. The Lojack like functionality makes it a bargain compared to Lojack. The extra $100 a year for the GPS functionality is overpriced. I think while not for everybody, overall I like what it has to offer. The real power I believe is when the hackers go in and figure out how to make it where you can access your cars computer system with a web interface. What would be really cool is if the Phone system was GSM and you could put your own SIM card in it, but its CDMA. I think this was a stupid move as some really market shaking crap is going to go down in 2008 and GSM is going to become the dominant technology, which will lead to yet another Onstar obsolescence of the current CDMA based systems.

·
Registered
134 Posts
:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:...I like onstar also, it beats the hell out of the Bluetooth in my wife's Acura.

2008, black on black, 3lt, Z51,NPP ( people mover) NAV, chrome

·
Registered
565 Posts
I'm saying that it does some cool things. The Lojack like functionality makes it a bargain compared to Lojack. The extra $100 a year for the GPS functionality is overpriced. I think while not for everybody, overall I like what it has to offer. The real power I believe is when the hackers go in and figure out how to make it where you can access your cars computer system with a web interface. What would be really cool is if the Phone system was GSM and you could put your own SIM card in it, but its CDMA. I think this was a stupid move as some really market shaking crap is going to go down in 2008 and GSM is going to become the dominant technology, which will lead to yet another Onstar obsolescence of the current CDMA based systems.
The GPS would come in handy for getting the f out of the People's Paradise of San Fagcisco...glad you like the On-Star. Most reviewers on the forum are pissed because it's mandatory on the '08. I always thought it had a lot of benefit for many situations, the cost competitiveness with LoJack being one of the real pluses. Not sure I'd order it, don't have it on my '06, and a bit dubious of the remote control you in effect give over your car. They can open your doors...and read the ECM...they can also do other things that the doughnut eaters may dictate at some time in the future--if San Fran's own Peelosi gets her way...Enjoy! :cheers:

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'm 100% sure Russian hackers will make their way into the system some day and millions of GM cars will be dead on the side of the road in some massive hack attack. Thats when the "good hackers" will get pissed off and explore the system creating toys for the rest of us....

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
And I was in San Francisco. And there were San Francisco men standing around...
Those poor guys in San Francisco. I've always felt so bad for them. You see them hanging around together. They seem to go out of their way to stay fit and look neat. They take the time to comb their hair. They do everything that one would think would have the ladies just throwing themselves at them, but alas, these guys are out in packs together, filling up bars and restaurants and can't seem to get any women to notice them. Poor bastards. They seem to enjoy each other's company though so at least they're having a good time with it and looking on the bright side.

:thumbsup:

·
Registered
25 Posts
I bought my wife an 06 C6 vert with the 3LT package. I figured it would have Onstar. Nope. I guess for some it is good to see GM integrating it into all the vehicles. I found out after the fact it was an option in 06. Oh, I didn't get a power top either. Option also. We had onstar on the CTS we traded and I liked the nerdy email stuff and do miss that. Russian hackers were also a worry in the back of my mind, too. I guess, I'm not missing the onstar much.....hey.....We've got a VETTE....that's all that matters! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
I bought my wife an 06 C6 vert with the 3LT package. I figured it would have Onstar. Nope. I guess for some it is good to see GM integrating it into all the vehicles. I found out after the fact it was an option in 06. Oh, I didn't get a power top either. Option also. We had onstar on the CTS we traded and I liked the nerdy email stuff and do miss that. Russian hackers were also a worry in the back of my mind, too. I guess, I'm not missing the onstar much.....hey.....We've got a VETTE....that's all that matters! :thumbsup:
I have an '08 vert with Onstar and the electric top. The electric top is nice. I would trade the Onstar for blue tooth anyday. The '08 comes with 1 year pre-paid. I will probly not renew Onstar next year.

To each his own.

BTW LA, My vert is also silver. You wouldn't happen to have a two tone silver/black interior, would you??

·
Banned
334 Posts
On Star

I forgot. My experience with Onstar. When it (contract) runs out they are not allowed to talk to you unless you renew your contract. Reallly. They said the same thing over and over. Ask around and see.
wwr

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I forgot. My experience with Onstar. When it (contract) runs out they are not allowed to talk to you unless you renew your contract. Reallly. They said the same thing over and over. Ask around and see.
wwr
So, if my contract expires and I wipe my car out and I'm bleeding to death, they'll tell me "tough ****" if I hit the red emergency button?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts