Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Got a question.. This is just a senerio (just a "what if", not to say it really happened)
If live in Kansas and was driving north on the Interstate. Yep, I was kind-of cruising along in the 93, top off. While passing an 18 wheeler, I decided to floor it, basically just for the fun of it. (Ok, I know I was wrong, so please don't preach...)

Supposedly a police car was there and clocked me., they said 105mph. Since I was driving so fast, I couldn't safely take the exit ramp that I was supposed to take. So I continued down to the next exit (about 6 miles further down the road) and turned around. While I headed back the other way, I passed the point where I floored it around the 18 wheeler. Moments later, I had the police behind me. The lights come on, and I pull over. The police comes up to the window and says "I heard you were going 105 northbound, that's pretty fast. I didn't clock you though. I'm going to cut you a break". He went back to his car with my license and ran his check. Minutes later he come back with a summons saying that I need to appear in court. I guess the break he was talking about was not sending me to jail?

My question is: Can the police issue a ticket 15 minutes later? What do you think I should do? Any idea?

·
Registered
167 Posts
Let me begin by saying I'm not an expert. :D

However, I think they can still ticket you later. But - what was the exact violation that you were charged with? Was it speeding or something like "reckless driving?" In PA, if you are charged with speeding, they have to list the last time the equipment was calibrated, what the precise reading was, etc. They have to get the description of your car exactly right (if you have a white 'Vette and they say it was yellow - you can probably get out of it).

It sounds like you might have a pretty good leg to stand on if you fought it in court. I have a buddy who was pulled over in his Grand Prix on the PA Turnpike going about as fast, and he was not threatened with jail time, but was threatened with a license suspension. Here, if you make the effort to fight a ticket, often times the judge will cut you some slack, either by cutting the fine or eliminating the points on your license.

Good luck, man!:thumbsup:

·
Banned
151 Posts
Got a question..
I live in Colorado and was driving north on the Interstate. Yep, I was kind-of cruising along in the 93, top off. While passing an 18 wheeler, I decided to floor it, basically just for the fun of it. (Ok, I know I was wrong, so please don't preach...)

Supposedly a police car was there and clocked me. Since I was driving so fast, I couldn't safely take the exit ramp that I was supposed to take. So I continued down to the next exit (about 6 miles further down the road) and turned around. While I headed back the other way, I passed the point where I floored it around the 18 wheeler. Moments later, I had the police behind me. The lights come on, and I pull over. The police comes up to the window and says "I heard you were going 105 toward Cheyenne, that's pretty fast. I didn't clock you though. I'm going to cut you a break". He went back to his car with my license and ran his check. Minutes later he come back with a summons saying that I need to appear in court. I guess the break he was talking about was not sending me to jail?

My question is: Can the police issue a ticket 15 minutes later? What do you think I should do? Any idea?
Sorry to hear man. If I were you, I would get a lawyer, especially if it's 100 mph+. My lawyer charges $100 for a speeding ticket but one that high, it might be more. A lawyer is well worth it IMO. The few dollars you spend with a lawyer will cancel itself out after the fines are reduced for a lesser offense. My last ticket was reduced to "inattentive driving" . With the scenario you gave, a decent lawyer would eat that ticket alive. The way the cop gave you the ticket after 15 mins and never clocked you is BS anyways. If he didn't clock you, than what speed was the ticket? Was he just guessing? A lawyer will laugh at that dumbass cop. Lawyer up man, lata and good luck

·
DC PIT CREW BOSS
39,520 Posts
How can he prove it was you. Did he have your license number? Did he see you in the car?

·
Registered
580 Posts
Like he said, get a lawyer.

·
Banned
622 Posts
Sorry to hear man. If I were you, I would get a lawyer, especially if it's 100 mph+. My lawyer charges $100 for a speeding ticket but one that high, it might be more. A lawyer is well worth it IMO. The few dollars you spend with a lawyer will cancel itself out after the fines are reduced for a lesser offense. My last ticket was reduced to "inattentive driving" . With the scenario you gave, a decent lawyer would eat that ticket alive. The way the cop gave you the ticket after 15 mins and never clocked you is BS anyways. If he didn't clock you, than what speed was the ticket? Was he just guessing? A lawyer will laugh at that dumbass cop. Lawyer up man, lata and good luck
:agree: If you get a lawyer , he'll make short work out of what will take you a couple of times in front of the judge. Its all about the money, eather way you go.

·
Banned
2,365 Posts
Got a question..
...My question is: Can the police issue a ticket 15 minutes later? What do you think I should do? Any idea?
Yes.

although you addmitted speeding on a public forum (cut/paste/take to court as evidence:laughing: ) in this case it sounds like a BS ticket. Sounds like he was bluffing, expecting you to cave in and pay it.

Could you cgo to jail? Depends on Colorado's laws?

and the million $$ question? What to do?...Lawyer up and go to court. That's what I'd do, and I write 'em:thumbsup:

·
Registered
130 Posts
Oh man, this brings back memories.

I was in college. Driving the 59 C1. Got stopped for speeding in a small town in Colorado. Had to go before the local judge, who never asked me a question, only the local cop. When the cop said I was polite and cooperative the judge fined me $100. Another college kid was there. Cop told the judge he was verbally abusive and uncooperative. The judge told him, $1,000 or three days in jail!

I'm sure things have changed since then, but depending on the court, you may not want to bring in a lawyer. Just smile and be "cooperative."

·
Registered
9 Posts
I guess from reading your post a police car clocked you speeding. You say you were going so fast that you missed your exit. I'm guessing that the first cop radioed and another cop stopped you. If a cop is willing to testify that he clocked you speeding your better off paying the fine. I don't understand why the second cop says he didn't clock you. Did the cop tell you what the charge is? A lawyer will rake you over the coals. In the end you will still pay the fine and the lawyer. I doubt that a cop would ticket you without knowing and having some evidence that you were speeding. You may even be on video. The judge will believe the cop not you.

·
Registered
481 Posts
'93 Corvette, Remember the old saying: "The person who decides to represent himself/herself in court, has a fool for a client." You didn't say exactly what speed the officer charged you with, and is the charge speeding, or reckless driving? This is no chump parking ticket, treat it seriously, retain a lawyer that handles this type of offense. Police officers routinely team up in pairs, one working the Radar, and the other, the chase car. What he meant by "I didn't clock you." was that he was the car that received the radio transmission describing your car, and your speed, and that you should be stopped. The Radar Officer relays your speed, description, etc. to the second Officer, and he makes the stop, and writes the ticket. Again, don't treat this lightly, find a Lawyer experienced in this sort of thing, (online, etc.) he can get this reduced to something you can live with, traffic school, supervision, reduction in fine, no points for your insurance company to find out about, etc. Make up your mind to do this, and you'll be fine....and when it's all behind you, pick up a Valentine 1 Radar Detector....:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
I'm sure there is more than ONE white Corvette in the area. DENY DENY DENY!!!!!! :D

·
Banned
622 Posts

·
Registered
752 Posts
I didn't read the other posts, cuz i'm lazy but i read yours. Basically you have the right to see the radar. If he didn't clock you he can't ticket you, the officer that clocked you must issue the ticket, or the other cop must have proof. simple as that. He could have stated you murdered someone, but that wasn't true either now was it?

·
Registered
137 Posts
i can say it depends on police car type, so if it was like the same as in pic i think u should begging them not to ticket u .

:rolling:

OR :

smoke them

·
Registered
724 Posts
Since this is the age of the dash camara, i believe i would have asked him if he got it on video. If not, how can he prove it was you especially going the opposite direction.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Personally I would do a couple of things, First find what the laws are in your
State regarding the speed you are accused of driving and any/all penalties that could be issued against you. Secondly, remain calm and know most states in the US do not come after you full throttle for a speeding ticket. Third and most important weigh the pro's and con's about paying it and move on and be more careful in the future. Fourth, after know what the laws and penalties are discuss this with a lawyer, most provide a free consultation. The county attorney and police have to turn over any evidence in what’s called a discover motion, you can do this your self and find what they really have for evidence. Fifth, once you know what they have in evidence you can make a good decision to either lawyer up and fight it or just pay it and move on. In my state anything over 100 is a mandatory suspension for at least 30 days. Sixth, be very careful what you say to anyone at the court house, police, county attorney as what you say can be used against you at anytime. To give you the best information, I would say this to you. Consider fighting it and have them expose to you any and all information they have, they are required to do this as a discover motion, but you usually can get this with a little talking and kindness. Once you have this information along with what they could do to you (revocation, suspension, fines, and including jail time) discuss this with an attorney and come up with a game plan. Lastly I would make this recommendation to you. Fight it to start with, listen to what the want, maybe even ask for a stay of what’s called "judication", this is something like this. You pay a court fee (small fine) and if you don't get another speeding ticket or in some states any ticket, this ticket will fall off and go away like it never happened. But if you do get another ticket you will face both tickets. It’s kind of like parole for the first ticket and you have to watch your P's & Q's for a period not to exceed usually one year. Finally if you want the ticket just go to court and plead out and accept the fines and cost. I am not an attorney nor do I recommend doing anything without discussing your issues with an attorney for free in most states as a consultation. (Best of luck to you)

·
Premium Member
7,092 Posts
Basically you have the right to see the radar. If he didn't clock you he can't ticket you, the officer that clocked you must issue the ticket, or the other cop must have proof. simple as that.

Wrong and Wrong.

kool88 is probably dead on with his assumption. One was probably running radar/laser and the other was the chase car. The chase car probably didn't see you and/or lost you before he could catch up. Seeing you 15 mins later he pulled you over and issued the citation, thus he "cut you a break" because he knows he could lose the case because neither can prove it was you driving when the initial officer got the car speeding.

I normally don't give suggestions on how to get out of a ticket, but in this case the ticket was B.S. The officer should've just chalked it up as one that got away. After that much time had passed, there's no way either officer could prove you were the one initialing speeding, even if they were positive it was the same car. This ticket seems like one that can be beat, but it depends on the judge/magistrate.

The call is yours, but I think you'd have a good argument if it went to court.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts