Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The other day while driving around I saw along the road a beautiful red Corvette. WOW she was pretty! I could not resist the attraction. So I stopped in the place, inquired about it, and before I knew it I was signing the papers and driving away with her.

I got her for $7000. She has 98,500 miles and a few problems here and there.

Since I am totally new to Corvettes I would like to ask some questions regarding my new vette.

Some of the problems include a faulty digital tach (does not show RPM numbers but bar works), faulty drivers seat automatic seat controls ( controls near the stick work but ones on seat do not), cracked inside door metal clip holder (I don't know what its called, but the silver metal pointy thing on the inside of the door mates with it when the door is closed), worn out seats (leather is pretty beat), and NO MANUAL.

Does anyone know where I can get the original manual? That would be a great help.

Also, I noticed the manual transmission is a 4+3 unit with overdrive. Now can someone explain to me what is overdrive actually is? I read in the Corvette Milestones magazine that it helps improve fuel efficiency? Is this true? I could care less about fuel efficiency!

What are the three "little buttons" on the right side of the drivers seat for? Are they power controls?

It would be nice if you guys can recommend me to an online shop that sells lots of a C4 replacement parts. Such as new seats, emblems, etc.

Any advice on what I should do or go about repairing the problems of my vette would be of great help.

This is my first car with manual transmission so it is totally new to me. I had the car delivered to my home when I purchased it since I had no idead how to drive it. After reading some instructions I got online I became over-confident and had the fellow drive the car on my driveway, NOT in my garage. To make a long story short I had to call the tow truck guy just to get it in my garage! I have now got somewhat the knack of driving stick and I am driving nearly everywhere. Any advice on this as well will be greatly appreciated.

The problems sound extensive but they are not. The engine fires up each and every time and its roar scares the hell out of the cats!:laughing:

Looking at pictures I always thought that C4's were bland and just plain ugly. But in person it is totally another car. Just incredible.:thumbsup:

Sorry for the barrage of questions! Thanks for the great site!:partyon:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,653 Posts
racer rich said:
The other day while driving around I saw along the road a beautiful red Corvette. WOW she was pretty! I could not resist the attraction. So I stopped in the place, inquired about it, and before I knew it I was signing the papers and driving away with her.

I got her for $7000. She has 98,500 miles and a few problems here and there.

Since I am totally new to Corvettes I would like to ask some questions regarding my new vette.

Some of the problems include a faulty digital tach (does not show RPM numbers but bar works), faulty drivers seat automatic seat controls ( controls near the stick work but ones on seat do not), cracked inside door metal clip holder (I don't know what its called, but the silver metal pointy thing on the inside of the door mates with it when the door is closed), worn out seats (leather is pretty beat), and NO MANUAL.

Does anyone know where I can get the original manual? That would be a great help.

Also, I noticed the manual transmission is a 4+3 unit with overdrive. Now can someone explain to me what is overdrive actually is? I read in the Corvette Milestones magazine that it helps improve fuel efficiency? Is this true? I could care less about fuel efficiency!

What are the three "little buttons" on the right side of the drivers seat for? Are they power controls?

It would be nice if you guys can recommend me to an online shop that sells lots of a C4 replacement parts. Such as new seats, emblems, etc.

Any advice on what I should do or go about repairing the problems of my vette would be of great help.

This is my first car with manual transmission so it is totally new to me. I had the car delivered to my home when I purchased it since I had no idead how to drive it. After reading some instructions I got online I became over-confident and had the fellow drive the car on my driveway, NOT in my garage. To make a long story short I had to call the tow truck guy just to get it in my garage! I have now got somewhat the knack of driving stick and I am driving nearly everywhere. Any advice on this as well will be greatly appreciated.

The problems sound extensive but they are not. The engine fires up each and every time and its roar scares the hell out of the cats!:laughing:

Looking at pictures I always thought that C4's were bland and just plain ugly. But in person it is totally another car. Just incredible.:thumbsup:

Sorry for the barrage of questions! Thanks for the great site!:partyon:
good luck,and yes you better save the wave,ha ha .good choice,mid america corvettes allways have something,and corvette centeral,good luck with her/him.be proud that you now owen a part of histroy:excited: :buhbye: :partyon:
 

·
DC Crew
Joined
·
53,209 Posts
First, congrats on your Corvette purchase, and welcome to digitalcorvettes!

I can answer some of your questions, but I have to run out for a bit.... I'll check back in!

Patrick:thumbsup:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,956 Posts
racer rich said:


Some of the problems include a faulty digital tach (does not show RPM numbers but bar works), faulty drivers seat automatic seat controls ( controls near the stick work but ones on seat do not), cracked inside door metal clip holder (I don't know what its called, but the silver metal pointy thing on the inside of the door mates with it when the door is closed), worn out seats (leather is pretty beat), and NO MANUAL.

Does anyone know where I can get the original manual? That would be a great help.

Congrats on the purchase!

As far as the manual, search Ebay for a Shop Manual, either paper or CD.

The seats are a easy to recover yourself if you have the time to do...you can get either "leather like" or real leather. Make sure to get hog ring pliers as it makes the job so much easier. I looked to see if I had an extra door striker and haven't found one yet...
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
8,480 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1 Posts
Just thinking the 3 buttons are used to release air from the lumbar support after you fully inflate it. Good luck with your car, I have a 92-manualT and love it!!:excited:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
11,627 Posts
Congrats and welcome to the site. You'll get plenty of good information here. :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
50 Posts
I have a 4+3. It is a 4 speed manual with the last 3 gears having overdrive gears. Kind of like having a 7 speed :D I was told to leave it off when doing city driving and turn it on when I am on the highway. BTW contragts on the vette :cheers:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you all for your congratulations and advice. :partyon: I just left it off at the shop to get checked out and get some repairs done. Lets hope it does not cost too much!:surprised
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Re: Re: Just got an 85!

ChiMan said:
Congrats on the purchase!

As far as the manual, search Ebay for a Shop Manual, either paper or CD.

The seats are a easy to recover yourself if you have the time to do...you can get either "leather like" or real leather. Make sure to get hog ring pliers as it makes the job so much easier. I looked to see if I had an extra door striker and haven't found one yet...
The other day at Pep Boys I picked up a Haynes Vette service manual and figured out what a striker actually is.

The part that is actually broken is not the striker, but the metal cup piece sirectly above the striker. It has a rubber boot cover around the base of it it and wedges into the door sill. It accepts (like a female end) the metal pointy thingy on the door itself (like a male end) and they mate together. I don't think you guys want me to draw pictures, now do you?:laughing:

It would be a great help if you can guys tell me what actually this part is called (is not listed in my Haynes manual), because its kinda tough trying to order something in which you have no idea in what it actually is called!:huh:

Thanks again!:cheers:
 

·
DC Crew
Joined
·
53,209 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Just got an 85!

racer rich said:
The other day at Pep Boys I picked up a Haynes Vette service manual and figured out what a striker actually is.

The part that is actually broken is not the striker, but the metal cup piece sirectly above the striker. It has a rubber boot cover around the base of it it and wedges into the door sill. It accepts (like a female end) the metal pointy thingy on the door itself (like a male end) and they mate together. I don't think you guys want me to draw pictures, now do you?:laughing:

It would be a great help if you can guys tell me what actually this part is called (is not listed in my Haynes manual), because its kinda tough trying to order something in which you have no idea in what it actually is called!:huh:

Thanks again!:cheers:
I would start a new thread and ask this question, folks might not see it if it's buried deep down in this thread.... :thumbsup:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,348 Posts
Congrats.....
The first thing I would do is subscribe to get some free vette catologs like Mid America and Ecklers. They have some neat stuff. My Father owns a 85 coupe and he loves it. I hope you enjoy the 230 hp of that L98. Plz post some pics too.:thumbsup:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,158 Posts
Rich, Congrats on the new car and Welcome to DC :buhbye:

Regarding the manual any local auto store would have a more detail repair manual then what came with the car. Shop around for the online C4 part store.

:cheers:
 
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Top