Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well, just finished installing the dual 11" fans on the new 4-core radiator. These things are OE quality along with the relays too. I mounted those out of the way behind the wiper cowl, just gotta put some more of the plastic wire loom covers on the wires. i ran the 12v wires through the firewall via a 1/4" hole and through the center counsol to the battery box. had to use the original t-stat housing for the sender but a new coat of paint does wonders. those things work fantastic, ha. come on at about 190 and shut off at 165 i think? temp gauge never goes over 195, even with 400 hp! its a must for anyone who doesnt have them yet!

·
Banned
3,855 Posts
NIce install, but I hate to be the bearer of bad news....they are in there upside down, those rubber flaps are supposed to hinge/hang from up top of them, not on the bottom flopping open they way they are....they act as a extra opening for highway speed airflow.....less backpressure, when the fans are on, they close under suction/vacuum in the area behind the rad/front of fan...so they pull the most air,.....VERY doubtful they close in the upside down position...too much opening, and poor cooling as a result...

the good news, is it's a simple fix, they are symetrical....

I got mine from Tom DeWitt, and thought somehow, somewhere there was a note about that, maybe Tom told me on the phone, I forget...

Relooked at your top pix there, and also it would be nice to seal off the ends and top/bottom on that fan shroud to radiator backside....increases fan airflow through radiator....

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :WTF :cheers:

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hmm, your right haha. o well no big deal, only takes a few mins anyways. thanks for catching that one :bang

EDIT: they have the flapps on top and bottom on this model.

·
Banned
3,855 Posts
hmm, your right haha. o well no big deal, only takes a few mins anyways. thanks for catching that one :bang

EDIT: they have the flapps on top and bottom on this model.
:laughing: YUppers, me too, at least you didn't put the left hand fan into the controll arm, because I centered MY install on the rad...when I got that entire assy in there I was too damn tired to pull it back out and tape measrure everything, and change my side shrouds all around, I just got finished installing them....my install took me all afternoon in the driveway, the electric being done the next day.....so I cut the fan shroud, hated doing that, but it was either that or redoo the entire thing.....

I"d rather have YOUR problem.....beeleemee....:laughing: :rolling: :cheers:

·
Registered
588 Posts
I love my Spals too, kept my car cool while doing over 120mph for over and hour on the autobahn and also kept the car cool doing 3 hours of stop and go traffic going to Lemans. :partyon:

·
Banned
3,855 Posts
I love my Spals too, kept my car cool while doing over 120mph for over and hour on the autobahn and also kept the car cool doing 3 hours of stop and go traffic going to Lemans. :partyon:
Yeh man, they work nice computer turns them on at 196 or so, and off at 185? or so....cools right down even in Florida super hot traffic in mid afternoon, road temps gotta be 140f.....too boot the tranny stays cool enough at 180f or so....

thinking of a larger tranny cooler, allready run through radiator...dunno if I need it or not....

·
Registered
738 Posts
Looks good. I do have 1 suggestion tho, pull the power wire back out of the firewall and connect it to the alternator. The alternator runs the thing anyways and there is no need to run the operating current thru an extra 20 feet of wire. Also connecting to the battery like that adds whatever the current draw is (25-30 amps) to the existing battery charge wire, not a good idea.
Just my .02

·
Registered
5,916 Posts
I doubt those fans do **** when going 120MPH. The speed alone would push more air than those fans ever could.

·
Registered
536 Posts
well, just finished installing the dual 11" fans on the new 4-core radiator. These things are OE quality along with the relays too. I mounted those out of the way behind the wiper cowl, just gotta put some more of the plastic wire loom covers on the wires. i ran the 12v wires through the firewall via a 1/4" hole and through the center counsol to the battery box. had to use the original t-stat housing for the sender but a new coat of paint does wonders. those things work fantastic, ha. come on at about 190 and shut off at 165 i think? temp gauge never goes over 195, even with 400 hp! its a must for anyone who doesnt have them yet!
I got those same fans installed in my car too, the thing I do hate is how I have them mounted, I used those "through the radiator" ties like you used. Using those ties is that it can cause possibly cause problems with the radiator eventually because of the torque from the fans.

Anybody have any suggestions for a bracket kit would be nice. ;)

·
Banned
3,855 Posts
I got those same fans installed in my car too, the thing I do hate is how I have them mounted, I used those "through the radiator" ties like you used. Using those ties is that it can cause possibly cause problems with the radiator eventually because of the torque from the fans.

Anybody have any suggestions for a bracket kit would be nice. ;)
Through the rad ties are absolutely bad news for anything other than a small tranny cooler....that's IT...:smack :smack

those fan WILL TEAR that rad core a new ass very shortly if not sooner...

I tiewrap with cushions, all my ATF coolers to the front of the a/c condensor...around the pipes in both cases....don't forget the rubber pads with hole in them for the tiewrap....otherwise it will disappear too....

those fans, I had a car that was hit in the side by a woman, years ago..and the fan tore a new ass on that rad....and it was a lightweight fan too...bitched like HELL from the insurance company to get a new rad....needless to say, the fan was mounted differantly then....

the way I did MY mounts here is with two aluminum angles, side to side, mounted to the rear of the rad mounts, 5/16 bolt and lock nut.... then the fans are held with 1/4 -20 bolts and locknutz..... the aluminum house roof flashing is cut and bent to form around the openings, bolted securely in place...I used a aluminum/rubber door sweep for top trim...rubber lays across rad top nice and securely....simple, really....

·
Registered
5,916 Posts
Gene is correct. My radiator guy loved those zip ties. I had a tranny cooler chew through my radiator years ago when I was a kid.. Any cooler,fan,condenser,radiator,should be mounted with brackets. No touching.

·
Banned
3,855 Posts
Gene is correct. My radiator guy loved those zip ties. I had a tranny cooler chew through my radiator years ago when I was a kid.. Any cooler,fan,condenser,radiator,should be mounted with brackets. No touching.
I hear you Bird, just laziness on MY part, but I have gotten away with tranny coolers ONLY to the a/c cond....that's IT...

anything else breaks the envelope....

:devil: :devil:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts