Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Banned
1,873 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
...that we as corvette guys have some piss poor aftermarket support. Sure there is stuff for sale but most of it is only so so quality IMO. just today some new stuff arrived for a mustang and I gotta say, those phord phoney poneys sure have some nice stuff available. This rack and pinion for instance, it's from total control products (now chris alston) and it's a center take off rack, rear mount similar to steeroids stuff. But DANG! this stuff looks good! Almost too good to put on the car. Sure makes those conversion kits for our cars look like TURDS! This is how I like to see parts, high quality stuff, quality workmanship and high quality tig welds. This company has all right to be proud of their stuff. Too bad they deal in ford stuff.

·
Banned
1,873 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
gt 500 replica? I don't think I posted pics of such a thing, it's for a 428 cobra jet mach 1

·
Banned
3,855 Posts
gt 500 replica? I don't think I posted pics of such a thing, it's for a 428 cobra jet mach 1

Small world, just recalling and laughing a few hours ago with a guy about my olde tyme friend who bought his daughter a powder blue Mach 1 Mustang convertible...'71? anyway it had the 351 Cleveland engine....white top/interiot....she was a cute little blonde going to college....

little heart breaker....some 25? years ago......:laughing: :thumbsup: :cheers:

·
Registered
512 Posts
That is nice! You are right, we are used to cleaned up junkyard parts. Is that a new, purpose-built rack for a Ford? I kinda want a Mustang now:smack

·
That creepy old guy
726 Posts
Sweet set-up TT! I've wanted to update my steering for a long time and would love to find something that nice to put in my '74. You are right about the Corvette aftermarket and the quality can really be hit and miss!

·
Banned
3,855 Posts
Sweet set-up TT! I've wanted to update my steering for a long time and would love to find something that nice to put in my '74. You are right about the Corvette aftermarket and the quality can really be hit and miss!
Gotta wonder where that Mustang rack kit was made, vs where our conversion kits were made

and who can get a good production welder to do that over here?? at what pay scale, when good welders get major bux doing stuff right for our military and other major industial crap....

over here, it's only just a car, and for cheeeep.....

and I have to admit, some parts, no matter the source, are just not good,....:crazy: :WTF :down:

·
Banned
3,855 Posts
I know some good welders and machinists. If someone gives me GOOD drawings I can have some brackets etc made up.
That has been a large part of getting work done on my car....time to bend/concept/bolt on/ somewhat test ...what I needed, then when I thought it was right, get my welder buddy to do his trick with it....

it's how the reverse hood hinges were done on my car....clamp with vice grips, drill for bolts, bolt it down, bend and re arrange untill it fit...

then take it across river to weld it.....

same thing for my own rack install years ago....and many other things, like the custom front grill, and the driving lights bracket....and the gas pedal/brake pedal modifications....the frame cross support mods....etc...

hotrodding 101....

:thumbsup:

·
Registered
966 Posts
You're right TT....that thing looks very nice. Hey...how about some blasphemous pics of that Mach 1 when you get the chance!!! :laughing: Those cars are worth a small fortune :surprised :thumbsup:

Dep

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
TT.... Hey...how about some blasphemous pics of that Mach 1 when you get the chance!!! :laughing: Those cars are worth a small fortune :surprised :thumbsup:

Dep

:agree:

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
C'mon TT...... these are your welds..... no way it came out the box like this ... :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Do you have pictures of the "lesser quality" brackets that come with other kits ? I think I remember a thread that you started about bad fitment and a hole that didn't line up ????

·
Banned
3,855 Posts
I wonder if that ford rack can be adjusted to fit a C3:huh:
Uh, NO, I doubt it, as I remember getting a Ford Taurus rack and by my tape measure in a junkyard it seemed like it would fit my '72 here, but NO, way too long in the body...WAY too.....wound up with 9" tie rods...can anyone spell bump stear?? even I spotted THAT at just rong from the git go....

so I got lucky and I think it was Jim Shea ?? that said the Saab 900 rack that Idar Anderson over in Europe used on his first conversion what?? ten years ago?? anyway, that/those published pix at the time stuck with me for some years there in '01 I had the vette down for a major attack on some long term problems, and among them was a rack install....I went the Grand Am rack route finally.....doing my own thing long before Steeroids came out with their kit a year? later....

I looked pretty good in a bunch of junkyards around here, foreign, domestic, and found nuttin....BUT I was looking at ETO racks, like was on the '87 vette I had....and a rear stear ETO rack is about rare as hen's teeth....and the one I did manage to find, knowing the price would be cheeeeep, was the Taurus....but not to be....

but hey, 35 bux for a fresh rack with no grease on it, outta that GAm and it's still in service.....got 200 bux or so in the entire project, and that included gasoline running around too....

1 - 20 of 40 Posts