Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 20 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
I'm running the old paper filter. I looked at putting a K&N filter on my diesel P/U and saw several reports of guys that had used K&N filters and had the turbo inlet impeller looking like it had been sandblasted. Turns out the K&N didn't get all the grit out of the airflow.
I don't have any personal experience here, but That's the info I found.

·
Registered
966 Posts
There used to be HUGE threads about this topic at the other forum. K&N filters DO flow more air than stock paper filters. But that increased airflow comes at a price...dirt. The K&N filters have larger, more porous holes to allow air to flow. But that also allows dirt to get in the engine, too. If I'm going to run a filter, I want one that actually FILTERS. If you are racing the car you can run a velocity stack with no filter. You'll also be sucking dirt in with that, but you will have a sizeable performance increase. It's all a tradeoff one way or the other. You can't really have performance and good filtration at the same time. Any advertisements that say you can are just advertising hype to sell a product.

Dep

·
Registered
4,593 Posts
I have two in my vette, and one in my Saturn. I felt a change in the vette. I think its worth it. Now as the other to said they do let more past, but thats only when you first have them or just cleaned them. After a bit of time the dirt that collects also helps filter the small stuff. Ill be using K&N in any future car I own.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I've put about 30,000 miles on the k&N in my '71, to no ill effect (so far). I needed a special height for my air filter element, in order to clear the hood, and K&N had the size I needed. Otherwise, I'd be running the old style paper AC Delco element. You'd be hard pressed to notice a performance difference between the two.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I felt a change in the vette. I think its worth it. . Ill be using K&N in any future car I own.
I agree 100%. The very first thing I did to my '82 was to change to 2 K&N's.

I actually felt the difference in throttle response.

Good mod for the money. I clean it about every 2000 miles. Takes 5 minutes.

·
Registered
5,916 Posts
I run one in the 81 and my 03 Silverado. I really noticed the diff on the truck. The 81 I changed with the engine, so it's hard to say.

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
I have one,it came with the edelbrock breather,cant say one way or the other if its better,but i have noticed that in just 500 miles you can clearly see the dirt build up,so i would say its filtering pretty good.

·
Registered
550 Posts
I used to be a big fan of K&N filters until the engine development program in my bike...

499 cc 110 RWHP all throttle. Un-oiled the K&N's would work OK. Oiled would upset the mixture so much that the motor would not even start. I tried Just using WD-40 on the filters...
Open carbs on the dyno 110, K&N's no oil 96, Uni-filters 110.

After 6 years of track time and miles on the street (including an excursion on the beach at Daytona NEVER AGAIN) the single rings wore thin but piston wear and cylinders were within spec for another run. dyno run before fresh top end 106. After 110+

Uni-filters keep the big chunks out for the track. I'm building a new coldair/ramair intake setup for the Ramjet. I'll likely use a pleated paper element from a late model 'vette.

:thumbsup:

·
Registered
966 Posts
K&N Air Filter

For years now K&N has always dominated the performance market and really been considered the upgrade choice for anyone wanting to replace their OEM Air Filter with a better performance one. Paper Air Filters, while very good in filtering out dust and dirt, are very restrictive in the air they allow into the engine. This restriction can starve your engine from the air it needs to create the power it is capable of. To get that power, a free flowing air filter is needed, one that doesn't restrict the air path as much allowing the air to rush into the intake when needed. K&N has been the leader in this market for years, creating a very free flowing, less restrictive filter. Often a few extra HP can be gained just by switching out the Paper Filter for a K&N.

However, to accomplish this, K&N uses oil wetted gauze with rather large openings allowing dirt to pass through it much easier. Larger particles will stick to the gauze, but the more fine dirt and dust will freely pass through it into you engine. This can act like fine sandpaper and cause wear. In the K&N advertising, they claim that this dust catches on their material with their depth cleaning, however, if you were to hold a K&N up to the light, you can easily see the light shine through the holes in the material. If sunlight passes through that easily, imagine the fine particles of dust. K&Ns do filter better over time, but that is because these holes end up filling with dirt. When this happens, the air passing through gets restricted more, causing the claimed air flow to become less. K&N is a good performance filter, but there are other choices.

http://www.technilube.com/sections/comps/ams_vs_kn.htm

·
Banned
3,855 Posts
I posted pix of the up/over a/cleaner I have twin 3/5 inch K/N style air cleaners, I am thinking of taking them off, and using paper equivalents...with some maybe panty hose around the outside for extra protection because of where they are mounted....anyone know of any thing like that, that's affordable?? conical/round paper filters 3.5 inch tubing to clamp it over....

:crazy:

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well...

Being that I'm not a racer, my stock engine has ONLY 190 hp :rolleyes: , and that I want it to last, I should probably stick with the FRAM paper element that I have always used. I would love my Vette to go faster, but at the cost of the filter and dirt slowly killing my engine, I don't see the swap as a good idea. My L48 already has over 67,000 miles on it so I'd rather not put anymore extra wear on it for a 2 or 3 hp gain. For you real racers out there this is a very good upgrade, but for me, who only drives the car around town once a week in the summer, its probably not worth the 45 bucks, am I wrong? If It means winning a race, sure I would go for it. I really like reading your experiences with the K&N It is great info, so keep them coming. I'm sure many many uninformed and inexperienced people like myself are greatful for the wealth of knowledge on this subject.
Thanx.:cheers:

·
Registered
966 Posts
I posted pix of the up/over a/cleaner I have twin 3/5 inch K/N style air cleaners, I am thinking of taking them off, and using paper equivalents...with some maybe panty hose around the outside for extra protection because of where they are mounted....anyone know of any thing like that, that's affordable?? conical/round paper filters 3.5 inch tubing to clamp it over....

:crazy:
Gene: You might want to look at motorcycle filters. They are around that size. Just a thought :)

·
Registered
966 Posts
chi: Actually, for racers a K&N filter isn't worth it either. At least, not in drag racing. Drag racing engines are torn down and rebult quite often, so wear from dirt isn't really an issue. As to getting a few extra HP for street cars...one has to ask oneself if the dirt being sucked in is worth those few extra HP?

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hopefully I won't have to rebuild my engine anytime soon, and the last thing I need is to have to rebuild it because of my AIR FILTER. Really though if I want more horses I should overhaul the L48 and then top it off with an open element air cleaner (K&N inside). For the 2 hp I may get from the K&N in my stock econo V8, it's probably not worth it. I would still loose to just about every car on the road other than maybe a 1987 honda civic.:thud:

·
Registered
5,916 Posts
When I had my dune buggy, it had dual carbs with dual K&N filters. We would take it out for three days straight, run the crap out of it, and come back with the whole thing totally covered in Mojave Dust. Very much like Talcum Powder. Never saw a grain of dust in that carb/engine. Someone is full of it.

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
When I had my dune buggy, it had dual carbs with dual K&N filters. We would take it out for three days straight, run the crap out of it, and come back with the whole thing totally covered in Mojave Dust. Very much like Talcum Powder. Never saw a grain of dust in that carb/engine. Someone is full of it.
:agree: seems to be a very popular filter for the off-roaders buggys,m/c,atv,4x4's.have never herd anybody complain about K&N before or have read anything about them not filtering well.

·
Registered
966 Posts
I had a K&N filter on my '98 Vette when I bought it used. I bought the cleaning kit and after I cleaned it I held it up to the light. When I saw the porosity of it I said "uh-uh" and installed a paper filter. For the minimal amount of gain you get with those oil bath style filters, it's just not worth it to me. Oil bath filters are not exactlty new/revolutionary developments. Volkswagon had them as far back as 1973, and my Mom's old 1952 Chevy Bel Air had one. If it's such wonderful technology, why doesn't Chevy install it from the factory in the new Vettes?

1 - 20 of 91 Posts