Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it worth putting in those two drop in k and n air filters for about a hundred bucks for both. Has anyone done this. Is it worth it.

·
Registered
793 Posts
Long term, what are you trying to achieve???

·
Registered
136 Posts
Is it worth putting in those two drop in k and n air filters for about a hundred bucks for both. Has anyone done this. Is it worth it.
I do not have them in my vette but I have had them in a few cars. I have two commuter cars that I started running K&N filters in since new. Both vehicles have 70K+ mi on them since. Each car has a 4cyl and your results may vary but the throttle response is a tad better at lower rpms... no increase in fuel mileage... with the nice part being that I dont worry about cleaning them until about every 30K to 40K mi. If they produce more HP... well, I could never tell. They are oil wicked so be prepared that you may see oil lining your intake after time. I use them just to save $ on my daily drivers and have also thought of putting them on my vette... but I probably will not. I am saving my pennies for a vararam intake. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
3,584 Posts
Didn't know you had to put in two:huh: Why 2?:lookinup:

·
Registered
565 Posts
I've used K&Ns for 20 years and have always been happy with them. I have the Aircharger, $300, in my Vette and opened up the front shroud to get cold air directly to the huge filter that hangs down in the airstream. 1 degree cooler = 1 hp, and this brings in pure outside air through the grill that can be 15-20 degrees cooler than the air with the shroud closed. The filters themselves last forever and are easy to clean and reoil--you just have to be careful not to over-oil. I also believe that you can even pick up some hp just using the filters. No question they flow better than paper filters once you get a little dirt on the paper element. Are they (just the filters) worth $100? Hard to say. But the Aircharger, (or Halltech or Blackwing) with the shroud mod is certainly a good way to pick up a bunch of horses, be able to return to stock in 30 seconds, and not worry about the CAI falling apart as some have been known to do...:cheers:

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
filters

Didn't know you had to put in two:huh: Why 2?:lookinup:
Yes sir. Requires two in the C6 vette. Comes with regular paper filters. Just wondered if anyone put the K$N filters in and noticed any difference. Technically they prob work alot better.

·
Registered
939 Posts
If you use the drop in filters, you won't notice a significant difference in throttle response or noise. I actually transitioned from the drop in filter to the aircharger (both K&N) on my Ford Focus when I was in high school...

I'd vote for getting the full Air Charger... a little bit more, but worth it for a Corvette. Let that baby breathe!!:thumbsup:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts