Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got my whole dash out and am cleaning it up quite a bit. One of the things I'd like to do is repaint the inside housing behind the speedometer and tach. Do I try and find a green paint replacement color or do I go with a flat white? The green plastic bezel that goes in front of the indicators to bounce light there has yellowed quite a bit, where as the back bezel hasn't. That probably because it doesn't receive any UV light.

I remember seeing a web page here or through Google where the guy did basically just this, he repainted his gauge housings. I can't remember if he was also doing an LED upgrade at the time or not.

·
Registered
2,948 Posts
I've got my whole dash out and am cleaning it up quite a bit. One of the things I'd like to do is repaint the inside housing behind the speedometer and tach. Do I try and find a green paint replacement color or do I go with a flat white? The green plastic bezel that goes in front of the indicators to bounce light there has yellowed quite a bit, where as the back bezel hasn't. That probably because it doesn't receive any UV light.

I remember seeing a web page here or through Google where the guy did basically just this, he repainted his gauge housings. I can't remember if he was also doing an LED upgrade at the time or not.

I did exactly what you're talking about but because I switched to white LEDs I painted the housings and anything that was green / blue, to a white so that the white LED light would reflect off of white paint.

The green / blue paint they used was for the incandescent lights that produce yellow light. The yellow light reflected off of either the green or blue to make a blue/green gauge light color. Good for it's time but not near bright enough for my tastes.

I have lost of pictures I can post if you're interested.

·
Registered
2,948 Posts
D_B, yes show us please

I did the speedo and tach this same way but I did not take any pics. They used to be either green or blue, and I taped them off and painted them white just like everything pictured below.

Here's what it all used to look like.

After painting:

The bulbs:

The results:

·
Registered
905 Posts
I did exactly the same thing but went a step further and applied white gauge overlays. Looks super and extremely bright! I love them. Art Sorry I can't post pics, but I can't access them from my work computer.

·
Registered
2,948 Posts
I did exactly the same thing but went a step further and applied white gauge overlays. Looks super and extremely bright! I love them. Art Sorry I can't post pics, but I can't access them from my work computer.

I almost went with white gauges too.

In the Vette I think I like black faces better. My Durango has white faced gauges and I love them, but with an all black interior I thought the white would be a bit out of place.

I must say though with the right interior the white faced gauges are perfect.

·
Registered
470 Posts

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I did exactly what you're talking about but because I switched to white LEDs I painted the housings and anything that was green / blue, to a white so that the white LED light would reflect off of white paint.

The green / blue paint they used was for the incandescent lights that produce yellow light. The yellow light reflected off of either the green or blue to make a blue/green gauge light color. Good for it's time but not near bright enough for my tastes.

I have lost of pictures I can post if you're interested.
Jackpot! I believe your post was the one I was thinking of, they certainly look familiar.

Looks like you went with a gloss white instead of a flat white?

Don't you give up dimability when you go with LEDs? Basically they're just on or off? I think I'd like to stay with the dimable lamps for right now. I just noticed when I first got the car how dim the controls seemed to be, so I wanted to punch it up a bit by maybe painting the back flat, satin, or gloss white.

Maybe someone else can tip me off on how to do a search for more than a single word? When I had tried searching for "gauge LED" I got back all threads that had just "gauge" and threads that contained just "LED". I want a way to require both words to be in the thread. I looked around for a help section on how to search for multiple words and didn't see anything. I've tried "gauge and LED" or actually putting quotes around the combined two words and neither seems to help.

·
Registered
2,948 Posts
Jackpot! I believe your post was the one I was thinking of, they certainly look familiar.

Looks like you went with a gloss white instead of a flat white?

Don't you give up dimability when you go with LEDs? Basically they're just on or off? I think I'd like to stay with the dimable lamps for right now. I just noticed when I first got the car how dim the controls seemed to be, so I wanted to punch it up a bit by maybe painting the back flat, satin, or gloss white.

Very true, the dimming feature is lost. Not an issue with me, I don't think I have ever, in any car or truck, dimmed the gauges. I like them bright and visible.

I went with a gloss white, but I believe flat white would work just as good or better. I think the gloss of the paint might actually distort some of the reflecting light waves.

If you stay with incandescent light bulbs in the dash, stay with the factory color reflective paint. If you paint them white then your gauge light color will be kind of a yellow color. The point of the blue and green paint was to counteract the yellow light from the incandescent bulbs.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If you stay with incandescent light bulbs in the dash, stay with the factory color reflective paint. If you paint them white then your gauge light color will be kind of a yellow color. The point of the blue and green paint was to counteract the yellow light from the incandescent bulbs.
Good point as I had wondered just exactly why they chose light green for the back color. I think I'll go to Home Depot and try to match up the color and then use my small air spray gun to paint them.

With my short sighted mindset, I was thinking a flat white would give me more illumination. What I hadn't thought about was that I was using incandescent bulbs with their "yellow" glow and how that might look on the dials.

I'm also looking to refinish to my speedo and tach as the tach rev limit is certainly faded so I'm sure the other numbers are as well. I saw that http://www.corvetteinstruments.com had on their page what looked to be face only service for only $30 per gauge. My speedo and tach mechanicals work just fine. Add in the $18 they charge for a new needle and for less than $50 I have a refurbed speedo or tach. I know there are several other classic restores out there, anyone have the reface done on theirs? Can't imagine I'll find anyplace much cheaper than $30.

Jeff

·
Registered
249 Posts
I used Green LED's from superbrightleds.com for my 70 restoration. You will loose the dimming feature but lights are bright. I just hope they dont start failing like my turn signal LEDs have (2 years old, 2 dead!)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts