Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the long run is it going to be worth more if I have a stock Corvette or a Corvette with aftermarket parts. I am about to buy a stock 1987 Corvette, teal, with a factory 350 and a factory tranny. I am going to purchase for $5000. I believe it is a fair price. Probably more of steal. The only thing it needs is a throttle body spacer and some weather stripping. Any suggestions would be most helpful.:D

·
Registered
4,956 Posts
It will always be best to keep it stock if looking at resale value in the end, however what is more important is what you want it to look like or drive like...

I went back and forth on cars I have done and figured in the end it was what I wanted...I liked the look of the newer taillights so I changed it, etc. I might take a hit on selling, but after all is said and done, most put more into the car then they ever get out unless it is put in the garage and stored. Which mine is made for driving.

If you do major mods, keep the parts to go back to stock if you ever want to do that...my .02

·
Registered
135 Posts
Cars are not a good investment period-lol
It's definetly a buyer's market lately, who knows what it will be like down the road if/when you decide to sell the car. IMO it's not going to have that much of an effect on the resale value whether it's modded or not. If it was some type of collectible or was in some way rare then it would be a different story. The downside would be you spent alot of time and $ that you'll really never recoup. Having learned this lesson with another car I haven't done much to my 94 and what I have done I've kept the stock parts, in the event I do ever sell it I will put them back and sell the aftermarket stuff. Atleast that way you can recoup some of the $ spent.

Like somebody else said buy it to enjoy it. Do whatever makes you happy.
just my .02

·
Premium Member
11,627 Posts
Resale value on an 87 in another few years won't be that much no matter what you decide.

Drive it, enjoy it, and remember whatever you put into it extra you will probably not get back.

·
DC Crew
53,226 Posts
I find that most people look for a Vette want a stock Corvette ... but then they modify it!

Personally, I think modification to improve the abilities of the car is just fine in my book.

I don't do things thinking that I might have to sell it some day, I just do it.
:excited:

·
Official Forklift Driver
7,068 Posts
If you're looking to sell it in the long run and plan to use it as an investment, I'd say keep it stock. You'll only get a small percentage of the amount back you spend on mods, especially if you pay to have the mods installed.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Stock???????

Unless, somebody else is going to give you the 5 Gs to buy the Vette, do whatever you want to it.

Cajun:cheers:

·
Registered
Black 08, A&A TI supercharger. Kooks headers. CCW wheels. Much more
12,668 Posts
i will never buy a car and consider how much it will be worth when i sell it.If i like the car i buy it.I will mod anything-house,car,bike's,even a george foreman barbecue.
Here's a different angle since everything else was covered.If another 87' was for sale next to it,but had nice custom paint,super-charger,well maintained and a killer rim/tire package.It would sell for more than 5000,and probably sell before the stock one.;)I would buy the modded one.
Like everyone said,do what you want.Gotta love america. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have not bout it yet. I know the guy will be holding it for me. Since I am only 17 I will have to save some more money. I will probably take the car in about a month or so. Hey what about those fires in San Diego. I put out about 20-30 tiny fires on my uncle's property. I also took out a house that burnt down next to his. It was a tough job.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts