Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
914 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Spring is here and summer temps are on the way. I have read all about over heating problems that C4's have so I decided to head them off at the pass. I installed a cool fan switch [On at 200 off at 185 degrees] in my brothers 1987 corvette. I installed it on the passenger side rear cylinder head so it would control the primary cooling fan [the one behind the radiator]. After installation I started the engine and watched the temp gauge. After a few minutes the gauge went from reading low to 299 degrees in about 3 seconds. To make a long story short the hypertech tech advisor told me that the cool fan switch could only be used to control the secondary fan [the one in front of the radiator] I have already installed a switch to manually override that temp switch. I would like to know how to turn the primary fan on at a lower temp around 200 instead of 228 degrees. My 1988 corvette that I bought last September will turn the primary fan on at 175 degrees and it looks like a factory temp switch in the passenger side cylinder head. I am not sure why it's doing this I haven't looked at the prom to see if it looks like an aftermarket piece. My question is what is the best way to make the primary cooling fan come on at a lower temp?

·
Registered
674 Posts
the cheapest and easist way to control your fans is to install a manual switch. you can just tap into the relay and use a 3 way manual switch to give you a choice:

1) switch off, fans come on as normal (at like 225 degrees)
2) toggled up, primary fan is on all the time
3) toggled down, both fans on all the time

·
Registered
914 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm wondering...........Could I use the cool fan switch in the drivers side cylinder head and have it trigger both fans instead of just the secondary fan. I'm thinking all it has to do is supply the ground for both fans and wallah both fans would cycle on and off together. What do you guys think? Let me know if this is a bad idea Thanks:D :D :D :D

1 - 4 of 4 Posts