Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
most of you guys already know about my situation I had with my first shop where I got work done on my car in the thread Nightmare at the Shop!

The car still has been in the second shop and they have been fixing almost everything to get it up and running. Its been almost FOUR MONTHS without my car.

The LAST thing I thought they needed to fix was the timing chain or something. The second shop says that the first shop put in in WRONG at 180 degrees or something like that.

It was SUPPOSE TO RUN but it didn't. There is no PROOF that the first shop did work on the bottom end but still charged me for it. And I took my car RUNNING when I dropped it off to the first shop.

The second shop had to take off the motor again and check even further. He told me he found that TWO OF MY CYLINDERS dont have COMPRESSION. Somehow it must of OVERHEATED and those RINGS DONT WORK.

WHAT THE HELL!!!!!!!!!! I took my car running in the first shop and I took it out on a towing truck. I dont think the second shop screwed up because they haven't been able to FIRE IT UP AT ALL!

so this has been a total nightmare and I told them to put my engine on hold. Im talking to an attorney tomorrow to see what he recommends because after I paid the shop all this money they gave me an invoice that says ENGINE 2 YEAR WARRANTY!! I dont want to take it to the first shop to fix it but I don't know what to do until the meeting with the attorney.

I would really like to hear your thoughs and opinions about this or what I should do.....

Thanks

ERNESTO

·
Banned
68 Posts
Id kick the first shops ass.:spanked: Sue them. Take it to the second shop have them fix it. Then enjoy your new ride and mod it more with the money you won.

·
Registered
4,479 Posts
really sorry to hear about this

i would sue the shop or work out a compromise for them to pay a good reputable shop to get it fixed THE RIGHT WAY

·
Premium Member
5,157 Posts
Hello, Ernesto -

Frankly, I think you should have seen an attorney long before this point.

You need to have Shop #2 DOCUMENT everything they've found with pictures and a written record. Your attorney will probably be happy to supply you with some ideas on what needs to be recorded.

At the very least, you'll probably need pictures, a data sheet that documents what is being looked at, the tools and instruments used to verify the findings, a description of the method of testing or investigating, and an independant witness to sign that what the shop is reporting is true.

For example, you mentioned lack of compression. In that case, you should document what tools are used for this test, a reference to the GM Factory Service Manual that describes how to do the test, video or picture evidence of each major step in the process, and then a witness signature. This would show that compression among the cylinders is out of specification according to the FSM.

Same thing on the full teardown - you have to start with proviing that the engine isn't running, the troubleshooting efforts to pinpoint improper rebuilding or assembly techniques, and then the analysis of each engine mechanical system that demonstrates Shop #1's lack of capability or performance.

The problem you have is that all this documentation is going to cost you, and there is virtually NO guarantee that you'll ever collect a dime from Shop #1.

You need to have a heart to heart with the attorney about your chances of collecting if you win, and the added costs you'll incur to pursue this suit.

Good luck, and I'm sorry that this happened to you. If I were closer, I'd donate my time on your behalf.

Steven

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys.

Well I did see an attorney about this but he told me I can collect because I paid for work that was not done but I haven't taken it farther. The #1 shop says it will reimburse my money but I haven't stopped by there at all just yet because I wanted to see how my car would come out first from shop #2. Turns out it came out worse

the engine is in the machine shop to find out exactly what is wrong with it and I asked shop #2 to hold off on working on it until I talk to an attorney which should be tomorrow or Friday. Ive asked them to document everything for me because they know I might need them if I go to court. I want to see what the attorney says because I dont know if I should try to take the block to the first shop to have them fix it because they did give me a warranty and i PAID for a rebuild kit and machine shop work. Since two piston rings went bad im sure that falls under my rebuild kit that I paid for.

im VERY VERY dissapointed about all of this. I now regret taking my car to get it modified and its costing me a lot more than I thought. Honestly I know I can collect something but at this point its just been a nightmare. Im trying really hard to keep a straight face.

but ill let you guys know what happens. I guess its going to be another week or so but I just miss my car u know? makes me sad to see another vette on the road and I can wave...:thumbsup:

·
Registered
4,479 Posts
really sorry to hear of all your problems its just a suggestion but another thing you can try is tell the 1st or 2nd shop to buy the car and just get another better faster corvette:devil:

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
lol i dont think they would want to buy the car and honestly I won't get my money back. I mean ive put a lot of money in the car and would love to see it run u know?

im trying to keep my head high u know? yea i got screwed over a couple of grand but it could be worse...im in very good health and have a good job while living at home with my parents. I can say I can honestly afford this but it still sucks when someone takes advantage of u like this..

·
Registered
4,479 Posts
lol i dont think they would want to buy the car and honestly I won't get my money back. I mean ive put a lot of money in the car and would love to see it run u know?

im trying to keep my head high u know? yea i got screwed over a couple of grand but it could be worse...im in very good health and have a good job while living at home with my parents. I can say I can honestly afford this but it still sucks when someone takes advantage of u like this..
lol i no im just trying to help throwing around ideas yea i understand about having alot of money in a car:smack but having my car modded in a body shop for 4 weeks seems like nothing now compare to your four months and i know that feeling of having YOUR own car back and driving it but best of luck to ya pal....youll get it straightened out:cheers:

·
Registered
879 Posts
Contact your local Attorney General's office and your division of consumer affairs. File official complaints against the shop with them. Have your attorney write them a letter stating that you are seeking legal action against them if they do not satisfy you as a customer (translation = FULL REFUND). Then post the name of this crap shop on the internet. I did this same thing a little over a year ago when I bought a crate engine from some schlock house. The engine came with a 3 year warranty that was worthless. The extensive bad publicity, e-mails from persons stating that they chose to shop elsewhere because of the bad reputation and pressure from the attorney generals office resulted in a full refund of the purchase price of the engine. Do not be a nice guy, take a hard stand and get your money back, or sue the bastard for everything he owns.

Good Luck - Make the jerks PAY!

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I would really like to talk to an attorney to see what my options are. Im tired of this i just want my car back.

well since im going to have to replace my piston rings what do you guys think i should do? Just go for a full rebuild?

·
Super Moderator
8,495 Posts
I hate to say this but the root problem is your need, to have a shop....any shop... do the work , VS doing it mostly yourself. no one BUT YOU cares a great deal about YOUR CAR or will take nearly as much effort to do the work correctly:thumbsup:

if you were located a whole lot closer Id suggest bringing it by and I could show you step by step how WE could GET IT DONE correctly, by that I mean I could point out exactly what needed to be done and explain why, at each step then YOU and I could do the work or have the machine work WE could not do, personally subbed out.
most shops only care about making a proffit, your a check book with a name, and they basically have a guy they pay do the work, and in some cases that guys a morron working for just over minimum wage who cares nothing about your particular car, the shop figgures out thier expences, tacks on a very healthy proffit and they bill you,... if you knew and understood exactly what needed to be done at each step you could do the work or sub out each machine shop operation yourself and save a great deal of cash and KNOW it was properly done!

STEP ONE, LETS CORRECT THAT PROBLEM....:thumbsup:

buy these, watch the video, read the books and ask questions ONLY AFTER WATCHING THE VIDEO AND READING THE BOOKS, youll be FAR AHEAD

http://us.st11.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.com/I/motobooks_1955_93732534

HOW TO BUILD MAX PERFORMANCE CHEVY SMALL BLOCKS ON A BUDGET by DAVID VIZARD

LINGENFELTER on modifying small-block chevy engines

SMOKEY YUNICK,S POWER SECRETS
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_b/103-3486570-0918205?url=search-alias=stripbooks&field-keywords=SMOKEY+YUNICK,S+POWER+SECRETS&Go.x=9&Go.y=12

·
Registered
914 Posts
But even doing all the work yourself won't guarantee there won't be problems. Things can still go wrong it's hard to get everything right the first time. I am going to rebuild mine this winter and I have done lots of others over the years but I am not looking forward to it. It's easy to over look some small detail that could cause a problem. The big difference is I know who to blame!:thumbsup:

·
DC Crew
32,974 Posts
Dude I can't believe how bad this has gone for you. Hopefully they will at least get your car running so you can enjoy it while all the legal crap goes on.

·
Registered
376 Posts
I know this might sound easier said than done but if I were you I would look into getting a replacement engine dropped in your car NOW so I could at least enjoy it during the summer. Let shop #2 take their time doing a complete tear down/ analysis of what is wrong with your original engine and what shop #1 did to screw things up. You might find that your original engine is too far gone to be repaired (I've never heard of overheating taking out piston rings, I would thing the head gasket would go first), and you need a new engine anyway. On the other hand if engine #1 can be repaired you can always sell the extra one to recoupe some $$.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
thats a good idea but how much does an LT1 engine usually cost....

but I just think I need to wait another week or two. I mean the block is already at the machine shop being checked out and all it needs is just a rebuild then put back in my car and i think thats about it. Ive spent a lot of money I just can't afford to get another engine while im waiting. I can wait a couple more weeks for the car. im just going to be another car for now(old and cheap of course)

·
Registered
234 Posts
good luck

Keep your head up! There are those of us who are in bad health and out of a job because of it. As to getting a second vette don't, get to know the "one good car theroy" so when the vette breaks you can still get to work. Don't muse too much at work about that vette , most people do not understand the Vete affiction.
I have two vettes and both are broken the c4 eats the budget for the c3 leaving both down. The engine in my c4 pulled a rocker arm loose, I got it out before my last surgery , now :bang stripped and ready for my engine shop, 210 miles away. 210 miles because I know that they are really good with SBC engines. its like finding a good woman, it takes time and a few mistakes. you WILL figure it out.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Keep your head up! There are those of us who are in bad health and out of a job because of it. As to getting a second vette don't, get to know the "one good car theroy" so when the vette breaks you can still get to work. Don't muse too much at work about that vette , most people do not understand the Vete affiction.
I have two vettes and both are broken the c4 eats the budget for the c3 leaving both down. The engine in my c4 pulled a rocker arm loose, I got it out before my last surgery , now :bang stripped and ready for my engine shop, 210 miles away. 210 miles because I know that they are really good with SBC engines. its like finding a good woman, it takes time and a few mistakes. you WILL figure it out.
thanks man. I really do try to have an upbeat attitude about this. I just feel bad because my car was running great and I wanted to put some mods but the first shop just screwed everything up. I have a good job(that allows me to take on the extra costs of my car), great health, and a great family. Im very lucky but its just a bad situation and honestly I just want it to be over with u know?

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
well I got to talk to my attorney on friday. Basically he can come down with me to the shop to demand a refund or setup a payment plan with them hopefully this week. I would be getting my money I paid them for work they did not do on my vehicle.

now on to my bottom end. The lawyer says thats a second issue. I would need them to disassemble the bottom end and find out the problem, what caused the problem, and who is responsible which is obviously the first shop. They gave me a warranty on the engine so they are responsible for it and I would need to take it to them to get it fixed.

now here is the difficult part. Of course I need the first shop to fix my car for me but that can take a long time. The attorney can try to setup a time frame but of course he did tell me there are exceptions and it can take a while for them to fix it.

so its either leave my car as is and wait for the first shop to honor the warranty and fix my car or just take it as a loss and fix it right now with my money. I guess im leaning toward fixing the bottom end with my money. I dont want them to touch my car again. what do you guys think?

·
Registered
376 Posts
well I got to talk to my attorney on friday. Basically he can come down with me to the shop to demand a refund or setup a payment plan with them hopefully this week. I would be getting my money I paid them for work they did not do on my vehicle.

now on to my bottom end. The lawyer says thats a second issue. I would need them to disassemble the bottom end and find out the problem, what caused the problem, and who is responsible which is obviously the first shop. They gave me a warranty on the engine so they are responsible for it and I would need to take it to them to get it fixed.

now here is the difficult part. Of course I need the first shop to fix my car for me but that can take a long time. The attorney can try to setup a time frame but of course he did tell me there are exceptions and it can take a while for them to fix it.

so its either leave my car as is and wait for the first shop to honor the warranty and fix my car or just take it as a loss and fix it right now with my money. I guess im leaning toward fixing the bottom end with my money. I dont want them to touch my car again. what do you guys think?
Let's see, the first shop screwed up your engine. Now under threat of legal action they are going to rectify everything, but of course, they can't give you a time table. Can you say "When pigs fly". My guess is your car would go way to the back of the line and shop #1 would work on it when as and if they have the time. Unless your attorney can get them to agree to some completion date you'll be at their mercy if you leave the car with them.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts